|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Vent recommendations or warnings

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
SkipJ

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/12 07:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is the instructions for the rain sensor model: http://www.fantasticvent.com/operating/how_to_operate_assets/model_6000RBTA_rv.pdf
Sorry, don't know how to condense to clicke. They do reopen when the rain sensor drys.
SkipJ

1992 Airstream B-190 van
1989 Airstream 25' Excella Trailer
Outfitter Apex 9.5 Truck Camper Ford F-350 Diesel 4x4

dicknellen

Fallon Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 06:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It will make your B taller, but I enjoy having a Maxxair ll vent cover on our fantastic fan, then I don't need a rain sensor and i can leave the fan open while driving. Fantastic also makes a new vent cover they say works best with their fans. Regards, Dick

OldRadios

Upstate New York

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 07:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do like the idea of the vent cover. There will be times when I would want to keep the vent open or the fan going during a long rain shower and could just leave the fan off and the vent open when not in the camper. Battery use is an issue as we don't often stay in a campground with power. I will check to see how much higher it will be above the air conditioner. Looks like it might add 3 or 4 inches. I'm at about 9' 6" now.

2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2003 Harley Superglide Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

mowog

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/12 07:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Roadtrek RS came with a fantastic fan, and it is that! I added a maxair fanmate II cover and was one of my best additions. Have had the vent open during real downpours and no problems. It is just in front of the Dometic roof A/C, doesn't increase max height and may even protect the much more expensive A/C from damage (road debris probably, obviously not a low bridge at moving speed).

Question please? When do people find the reverse fan handy? You could pressurize the van to blow out something (odor,moisture), but sucking the same air in through the your windows seems about the same to me.

What I would really like do do is find a way to filter the smoke from some campsite air, maybe a charcoal filter on the fantastic fan on reverse?

Bob Skillman
Ellicott City, MD
2011 Roadtrek RS

OldRadios

Upstate New York

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 07:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Bob, I was thinking the same thing about the reverse. Not sure what the difference would be from sucking air in through a side window.

The last camping trip I had to air out the van for several days to get the campfire smell out. I do find dryer sheets stuffed in all the out of the way places help keep the air smelling fresh and I've heard they also keep the mice away. Don't know if it's true but I've had no mouse problems in the past year since I bought it. My SUV had a mouse until it died somewhere we could not find. It was a long couple of weeks until the smell stopped.

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 07:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The cat's litter pan is in the bathroom in the Tiger. After she takes a dump, I run the vent fan (in the overcab bunk) in reverse, with the unpowered bathroom vent open. That blows the odor out, rather than sucking it thru the length (ha!) of the coach.

I also find reverse nice for creating a breeze to go to sleep by sometimes when it's not hot enough to justify the A/C. But not all B's have an overcab bunk.

Jim, "...like trying to herd cats...."

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory') www.tigervehicles.com

OldRadios

Upstate New York

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 08:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cat in a B? My cats like to explore it when I'm cleaning or packing it but as soon as I go near the drivers seat I better have left a door open...

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 08:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep. Cat in a B, before the current 19' C, which also has one. Miz Plush is unfazed by riding; she just curls up in the passenger's seat or on the transmission tunnel and goes to sleep. She's well-trained to stay out of my lap and the driver's footwell when the truck's in gear, and never rumbles quite as loud at home as on the road.

(titled 'Faster, Dad. Faster!')

Jim, "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read anyway."

OldRadios

Upstate New York

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 06:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the input everyone.
I'm going with the Fantastic reversible fan with a vent cover.
That way I can leave it open and won't have to worry about rain or running down the battery.
Going to install it myself. Already have 12V in the celling lights on each side of the location it's going in.

dicknellen

Fallon Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 08:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get the model 5000 it also has a thermostat that works great.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Vent recommendations or warnings
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS