|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Advice regarding towing my trailer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
scoop9

lakeland ,fl

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 06:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey, guys. New member of the forum.
Looking for some advice here. I just bought a 2006 four winds 26L
trailer, weighing in at 6840 lbs. I currently have a 2000 F150 4.2L , V6. The towing capacity on the vehicle says 7500lbs.
My question would be,,, can this truck tow the trailer safely and if it cannot what will tow it .

Thanks in advance.

dtzackus

Cumbola, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/12 06:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are more experts on here, but by the time you put your family in your truck, luggage, food and all the other items, you will be pass the safety zone of your truck.

You'll also be pass the capacity of the transmission and engine.

Dan, Tammy, Cory, Leah and Adam
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.0
2012 Conquest 297DBS
Equal-i-zer Hitch
GM Integrated Trailer Brake Controller

Bob Landry

Austin, texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 06:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It will safely tow a trailer that fully loaded for camping doesn't exceed 7500 lbs, with a tongue weight that when conbined with the weight of occupants and gear in the truck does not exceed the payload capacity or the rear axle rating of the truck.

2011 Tundra 5.7L
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 06:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

F150 4.2L , V6.

* This post was edited 07/06/13 03:45pm by jmtandem *

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.
'09 299bhs Tango.

hmknightnc

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/12 06:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

6800 lbs towing with a V6 gas engine. It really depends on your driving style and patience but my guess is you will not like it. I doubt that that combination will get out of drive and you'll have trouble maintaining interstate speeds

Just as a point of reference we spent several years pulling a 6,000 lb TT with a 5.3L V8 Tahoe with a complete towing package including low speed rear end. Pulled around 40 thousand miles without any trouble but I would not want to pull anything heavier than that 6,000 TT with it. Spent most of it's towing time with engine above 3,000 rpm. Your V6 isn't as powerful as that vehicle and your talking about pulling a heavier trailer.

Cedarhill

Deep South

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/12 06:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't say whether the combination will be safe but I can guarantee you that the engine and transmission will struggle to tow that kind of load.

TURK2500

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 06:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

scoop9 wrote:

snip..... The towing capacity on the vehicle says 7500lbs......snip

Food for thought....: The published tow rating (capacity) is based on the "curb weight" of your vehicle.., which includes a 150lb driver, full tank of fuel, and all other fluids required for operation. The combined weights of your TV's options, passengers, and cargo will have to be subtracted from the published tow rating of 7,500lbs to get a more accurate tow rating.

Please note that one's tow rating and payload capacity are two different weight limit specifications.

Bob

02 Chevy, 2500HD/4x4, 6.0L/4:10, GVWR 9,200lbs., GCWR 16,000lbs.
05 Jayco Eagle, 278FBS, GVWR 9,000lbs.
TV/TT loaded: 14,700lbs.
Loaded Tongue Weight: 1,250lbs.
Loaded TT weight: 8,400
Putnam XDR Class V, Reese HP Dual Cam.

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 07:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't even think about it. You would absolutely hate it and would kill the motor quickly

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

hmknightnc

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/12 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hmknightnc wrote:

6800 lbs towing with a V6 gas engine. It really depends on your driving style and patience but my guess is you will not like it. I doubt that that combination will get out of drive and you'll have trouble maintaining interstate speeds

Just as a point of reference we spent several years pulling a 6,000 lb TT with a 5.3L V8 Tahoe with a complete towing package including low speed rear end. Pulled around 40 thousand miles without any trouble but I would not want to pull anything heavier than that 6,000 TT with it. Spent most of it's towing time with engine above 3,000 rpm. Your V6 isn't as powerful as that vehicle and your talking about pulling a heavier trailer.

You know none of us actually answered your second question. For that trailer any of the modern (2010 and up) 1/2 ton trucks with the heavy duty tow packages will tow it. If you elect to go with 3/4 ton you will be happier with the larger frame, brakes, and stability. You don't need the expensive diesel option but do get a tow package. If your looking used and older than 2010 I would stick with a 3/4 ton

scoop9

lakeland ,fl

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 07:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks again guys, I guess my truck is not up for the job. hmknightnc ... great advice thanks, the hunt for a new truck is on.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Advice regarding towing my trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS