|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Visiting North & South Caroline’s recommendations

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
LennyH

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/12 08:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I will be heading to North & South Caroline’s in the coming weeks, does anyone have any recommendations in regards to RV parks to stay at, and places to visit ?

Thanks Lenny H

bhivetravels

Chattanooga

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 09:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mountains/Ocean? We love Boone NC - beautiful countryside, home to Appalachian State University, and a great KOA there as well. We also love Kure Beach in South Carolina. Not big on tourists, miles of beautiful beach, great lighthouses to visit.

Jim and Monica
Maj. USAF Ret. -- High School Teacher Ret.
2007 Coachman Epic - 05 Honda Element
Full-Timing with Meiko and Marlie

gfs1943

Whitney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kure beach (NC) is nice, and Carolina Beach immediately north of Kure is also nice. Further north in NC, you will find the Outer Banks. Haven't been there, but that's on my list. In South Carolina, Myrtle Beach is great. Also, Isle of Palms beach. Further south, James Island County Park south of Charleston gets good reviews.

gfs1943
USAF, Retired (1962 - 1983)
'00 Itasca Horizon 36LD
Cat Diesel Power
2006 Honda CR-V

JohnnyT

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/12 01:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from class A forum

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mountains in SW VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/12 12:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am currently sitting in lot #64 at Hunting Island State Park, just outside of Beaufort. It is about halfway between Charleston and Savannah, both of which are beautiful.

Hunting Island is beautiful, lots of natural untouched beach, good size lots (at least most of them), warm breezes off the ocean, but it is HARD to get a site unless it is booked several months (or a year) prior to arrival. Sometimes, you can luck up on a site just a few days ahead if someone has had to cancel.

pallikas

Raleigh, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/12 12:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are traveling down the coastline, in NC there is a nice campground near Kitty Hawk (Wright Brothers Memorial), Camp Hatteras, and right on the beach with full hookups and can accommodate tents, up to big class A's. Then, take the Ferry to Ocracoke, again on the seashore, but limited facilities (Water). Then another ferry to Campground in Emarald Aisle, again with full hookups and on the beachfront.

In SC, I have been to Myrtle Beach Travel Park, a larger full service RV resort, and there is another just south in Myrtle Beach (Pirate's Landing) which looks even better.

Ditto on the Mountains in NC, the Boone/Blowing Rock area is great, as is Asheville, NC.

Wineries are all around the Yadkin Valley just east of Boone at US421 and I-77 Intersection. Try Laurel Grey Winery. Easy access off the exit and IMHO the best winery.

Further down I-77 near Charlotte (I-85) is Lowe's Motor Speedway (Exit 48 off I-85).

Carrowinds Amusement/Water park is off I-77 near the SC boarder, and there is a good campground (KOA) right there at Gold Road exit off I-77.

Drbolasky

Allentown, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/12 08:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the most experience with the coastal locations:

North Carolina
Nags Head
Kill Devil Hill
Wright Bros. National Monument
Cape Hatteras
Ocracoke Island

The only NC coastal CG we've used is Camp Hatteras

South Carolina
Myrtle Beach

We stayed at Ocean Lakes years ago so can't comment on it now. The Holiday Travel Park is nice but most complaints there are centered around golf cart traffic.

Charleston - fine dining everywhere, the market downtown, ghost tours, carriage tours, H. L. Hunley Museum (N. Charleston), S. Carolina Aquarium, Magnolia Plantation, Patriots Point, Fort Sumter. Those are just the highlights.

Only one CG to consider in this area, IMHO - James Island County Park.

Enjoy & safe travels.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew
2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors

wbwood

Mooresville/Troutman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 01:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah a lot depends on what you want. Can go from one extreme to another in a matter of hours. Also, what type of facilities?

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

C-Leigh Racing

Nashville NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 03:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But, anywhere near the coast, be it NC or SC coast, dont forget about the salt & your priceless RV.
Rust & corrosion of it is not fun, you can almost see the dollars wasting away.
Neil

Camper Mama Bear

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 09:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed at James Island County Park just outside Charleston, SC in December. Beautiful park and camping area. Very easy to get into Charleston, and so much to do in the area especially civil war and per-civil war history. Close to the beech as well.

Good Sam Life Members. Camping with two young children in a 2007 Pilgrim fifth wheel (278BHSS) pulled with a 2002 F350.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Visiting North & South Caroline’s recommendations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS