RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Questions from our 'trial run' weekend . . .

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Questions from our 'trial run' weekend . . .

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
ouremptynest

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 09:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We spent the weekend out at a lake to do a 'trial run' before our complete move-in which is now 13 days away. We ran into a few issues that we could use input on!

1 - how do you keep your home bug and spider free? We hadn't had any bug problems for the couple of weeks we had the RV parked at home and were packing/learning. But after the weekend, we left the RV empty last night at a friend's house and came back today to a spider web in the back corner of the living room and a dead spider on the bed. I did some forum searches but most of the responses seemed to be related more to storage issues not day to day bug control.

2 - how do those of you living with dogs make sure they get plenty of excercise? We have a large and energetic lab. At home we have a yard for him to run and play in. He had to spend the entire weekend on a leash. He loved being at the lake and got plenty of walks, but never really had a chance to play and run off energy.

thanks!

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 10:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bug control starts on the 'outside' of your MH.

I just did a long stint in Florida and boy do you have to be on your toes and get educated real quick about bugs with a MH!

Borax or Seven gets sprinkled 'completely' around each tire, and around each and every hose or cord that comes into your MH. Do NOT lean anything up against your MH, that is another way they make their way in.

Ants and spiders are the ones you will see the most. In the south add to that Palmetto bugs which is just a nice name for giant cockroaches. They end up in your MH when you leave tubs outside your MH when parked and then bring them inside when you pack up. Leaving bay doors open or even just unlocked is another invitation for critters.

The bay door to the sewage bay is usually left open for the sewer hose to be connected. I spray the heck out of that bay with Raid Bug Barrier to keep them out of there.

I just discovered Raid Bug Barrier this past year. I have asthma and the dog has seizures that are caused by spraying any type of strong smelling chemicals so we have been very limited as to what can be used in and around the MH. Raid Bug Barrier has NO smell, pets can walk on it after it dries AND this stuff REALLY works. I spray it completely around the MH every time I pull into a CG. I also will spray it inside along the carpet where it meets the walls.

Has a real slick battery operated spray trigger for ease of application. I consider this my best find for the MH this year.

So there you have it my spin on Bugs 101! C

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

ouremptynest

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 07:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockhillmanor,

THANK you very much. That is some great guidance. We were guilty of some of those 'infractions' this weekend. And great tip on the spray. I also can't handle many aerosol products because of allergies.

Thanks again!

simsfmly

Rockport, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 08:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've got two Boston Terriers. Need plenty of walks, which is good for us, too.

We also have 3 sections of X-pen set outside so they can play in close quarters without getting all tangled in tie outs.

Another great thing to do, if your RV park doesn't have one, is search out a local Dog Park. We always look at DogPark.com everywhere we go to see if we can get them out. They love playing with other dogs.

[url=http://simslandyacht.blogspot.com/[/url]

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 08:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

simsfmly wrote:

We also have 3 sections of X-pen set outside so they can play in close quarters without getting all tangled in tie outs.

Another great thing to do, if your RV park doesn't have one, is search out a local Dog Park. We always look at DogPark.com everywhere we go to see if we can get them out. They love playing with other dogs.

Ditto on the ex-pens. Even if your dog is big and can't really run crazy in it they seem to appreciate the fact that they are not tied up and can move about at will in the expen. Mine fake bathroom calls just to go outside and just spread out in the sun in the ex-pen.

Over the past year I have found more and more CG's have installed big chain linked enclosed dog runs. I am sure it's meant more for them in regards to consolidating the poop/pickup in a CG. But it's great for exercising your dog off leash. And they proudly list this amenity in their CG description. Perhaps seeking out one of these CG's periodically will help your dog release some of his energy.

hitchup

Fulltiming and on the Road.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/12 10:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To prevent bugs, don't park under trees. We also use an outside bug barrier or pellets because we always get ants.

We seen people running with their dogs. (Very helpful since most of us gain weight fulltiming.) We also have seen dogs pulling their owners on skateboards.

But depending on the location, there may be doggy 'no leash' areas or city parks in town.

2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 10:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For Fido - seek out dog parks

For Bugs - Everyone gets some occasionally so with your one spider and one spider web I wouldn't be concerned at this point. That spiker could have been lurking for quite some time and just appeared. Plus, you mentioned you were at the lake. Being around water adds more bugs to the area around you so expect a few more. Hopefully, you won't have a mass assault on you! Good luck with your future adventure. You'll love it!

Full-Timers for 16+ Years
.... Now Seasonal
2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
2004 Jeep Liberty

Carolina Cruiser

East TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/12 05:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the bugs we do a couple of things, We spray the outside area with home defense usually every other week, anything that touches the ground and once a quarter I set off a bug bomb inside the fiver. We started that when we were in northern VA and has a run of stink bugs at the campground we were at. I also spray the basement storage and the water hose. Doesnt get them all but sure helps. As for the dogs, a lot of parks have dog runs today and if not check the town or surrounding towns as a lot of places now have city dog parks. If that fails try athletic fields as a lot of those are pet friendly and deserted during the heat of the day, otherwise plenty of walks will be good for you and the pup.

Albert & Tamara, the dogs Casey & Cody, Living the simple life.

God never said Saved by Grace;kept by performance.

ouremptynest

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/12 02:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

simsfmly wrote:

We walk . . . but he needs to RUN and I'm too slow for him! My daughter can out run him, but she's going to college so we won't be taking her along!

So you tie multiple x-pens together? I have seen those but figured they were too small to give him any room to do anything.

Riley loves dog parks also . . . went to one last night. I haven't seen any RV parks with them (of course I have only be researching them on the web and very new to it). And I've only seen them in larger populated areas, which we hope to avoid! But I will check the dogpark.com

ouremptynest

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/12 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hitchup wrote:

We seen people running with their dogs. (Very helpful since most of us gain weight fulltiming.) We also have seen dogs pulling their owners on skateboards.

We do have a bike and a bike leash . . . . haven't made much use of it lately because he almost killed me once when a dog came out of nowhere at us!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Questions from our 'trial run' weekend . . .
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS