|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> torque wrench

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

50 ft.lbs. sounds a bit light to me. Depending on stud size I would be leaning more toward 75-90 ft.lb.s. My Dodge takes 160 ft.lbs.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

bpounds

Whittier CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/12 09:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Torque them when I R/R. Never carried a TW in any vehicle. Got better, more realistic, things to worry about.

Yes, I do recheck after the first drive. Not with a TW.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/12 11:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry mine with me. As stated before, always store at the lowest torque setting and use the shortest extension you can. At 200lbs. you should torque in increments. Go around once at 75#, again at 150#, and finish at 200#. That's on initial install. After that, when just "checking", you should be able to go max first time.
200#'s is a high torgue. Be prepared to spend some money. I got mine at Sears.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

belairbrian

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/12 12:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LindanMick wrote:

Yes I am an expert on this.
When using a torque wrench:
Use the shortest socket you can , extentions decrease torque.

Please provide a reference on this. I taught use of torque wrenches to Aircraft mechanics and this is simply is not true. The only concievable "Loss of torque" would be from rotational twist of the extension but that would not cause a bolt to be incorrectly torqued as it would not be transmitted from wrench to bolt. Once this theoretical slack was taken up the wrench would perform normally. In reality a 1/2 drive wrench would never exibit such twist within the capabilities of a 1/2 drive torque wrench.

The only time an extension effects torque is if someone adds an extension that effectively lengthens the wrench (read as a pipe). The calibration of the micrometer is based on the assumption that force is applied at the center of the wrench grip. extending the wrench changes the calibration. The same holds true for extensions which offset rotation point of the wrench (aka crows foot extensions). The formulas are readily available for computing what to set the wrench for when using crow foot type extensions.

LindanMick wrote:

Use Impact 6 point sockets only, the torque for wheels can explode a chrome socket at 100 foot pounds.6 point has more grip.

If a 100 ft pounds is blowing out your sockets you need better sockets. Maybe if you were torquing to 100 foot pounds using 1/4 or 3/8 drive sockets and adapters it could happen, but not using a quality 1/2 drive socket. Since the majority of impact socket sets sold are deep well sockets this suggestion would seem to contradict your first suggestion to use the shortest socket possible.

TV 2003 Chevy 3500 Crew Cab Dually w Duramax/Allison
2005 Keystone Cougar 314 EFS
Reese 16K Slider Hitch, Prodigy BC, Delorme GPS
USAF Retired

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 01:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Once the wheel sets - you shouldn't have to check it anymore unless you remove it. Just use good judgement. By continually checking torque, you can overtorque which has the same ill effect.

I carry a torque wrench with chrome steel sockets. I only use impact sockets when I'm impacting.

MTPockets1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/12 01:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My steel truck wheels call for 165 ft. lbs. and seem to stay right whenever I check. My 5th wheel nut torque spec is 125 ft. lbs.... All 32 nuts were loose after I took delivery. Checked again after 80 miles and several were loose. I still check periodically and sometimes I find a couple below torque. Seems that my aluminum wheels have taken a while to settle. I've also had loose nuts on the Mor-Ryde pin box bolts and axle u-bolts. Also the 5th wheel hitch. The bolts mounting to the frame have been loose (under torque), but only once. It's a good idea to keep an eye on all of these for safety reasons; and in the case of the u-bolts, keeping proper axle alignment.

2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter 7000 lb axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

tvman44

Southwest Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes.

Papa Bob
1* DW "Granny"
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Cox89XJ

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Torque wrench stays at home. On the road I might check with my 4-way lug wrench after a long trip. If a wheel has been removed for any reason, yes check again after 20 minutes or so of driving, then again the next morning when the wheels are cool. After that just once in a while.

sniperduce

Norman, Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/12 07:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

any autoparts retailer sell a 1/2 drive torque wrenche and lug nut sockets suitable for rv wheel use. keystone makes your RV and they have a website with a video of how to properly torque your RV lugnuts and other helpful info:

http://www.keystonerv.com/?page=video_library

"Sniperduce"
2004 F350 PSD 6.0L 4x4 FX4 Lariat Crew Cab SB SRW Linex, etc.
2011 Montana Mountaineer 347 THT
16K Reese Slider Prodigy BC
2008 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 09:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't buy any of the junk from Harbor Freight. Look on Craigs list for a good clean Snap On, BlackHawk, Proto or similar. If you are going to torque something do it right. Aluminum wheels can come loose, steel not as easily. Every time you move is obsesive.

2011 Ram Laramie Longhorn 3500 Dually Long Bed, Cummins 350/800 HO, Towin Machine
B&W Companion Hitch, Maghytec Trans and Rear Dif Covers, AMZ/OIL Top To Bottom
2007 1/2 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 27,000# Combined

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> torque wrench
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: