|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Stove top with pilot light - new user

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
J A K

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 04:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, I'm new here. This is my first post, but I have been reading for 10 -12 years. I have learned LOTS of great stuff. Thanks!!!!

We are wondering if there is a conversion for a cooktop/stove top that allows a person to install a pilot light?

Our 1993 Prowler had a stove top with a pilot light and both my wife and I perfer that over the "ignitor".

I have looked around and can not fand anything. Any help would be much appreciated!

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 04:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's called a BBQ lighter. Most RV'ers leave the pilot lights off and light the burners with one of those long BBQ lighters or matches. Same for the oven. It saves on propane.

It's an inexpensive solution. Otherwise some wiring would have to be done to get the igniter powered up plus you would need to change out the burner controls. It may be cheeper to replce the whole stove with a newer model.

J A K

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 04:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Bear,

I know about the lighters.

We are at a seasonal spot and have 180 pounds of propane, so that is not an issue.

Our previous unit had a small pilot light that required lighting. It in turn had pilot "tubes" that ran to each burner.

You needed to light the stove top pilot and the oven pilot each trip, but from then on it was really nice (just like at home) to just turn the burner on and not need to light it.

dupreet

High Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 06:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never heard of a retrofit - would probably require changing out the whole stove.

Todd

Todd

1993 Ford E-350 pushed by a 1988 Wilderness 24' TT

powderman426

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/12 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't imagine there would much demand for that type of system especially in the south as that pilot would generate unneeded heat, so you will probably have a difficult time finding what you want. JMO

Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
28' Prowler & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

SteveAE

Bend, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

J A K,

No, but check out this modification to the oven and top burners. It works great!

Steve

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Umm.. I am thinking that the answer is no.

Probably with good reasons such as a waste of propane, extra heat (yep even small pilot light flames can generate a considerable amount of heat) and the possibility of the pilot going out and allowing unburned raw propane to accumulate in a confined space (IE RV).

My 1980s TT has a stove with top burner pilot light and I have as of yet never used the pilot. To me is just doesn't make sense to keep a pilot lit when I rarely use the stove top.

BIC lighters are cheap and effective but the BBQ piezo conversions are the way to go. Basically buy a BBQ electronic or old style snap plunger repair kit and place electrodes right beside the burners. A push of the button and instant flame (much, much safer than having an open pilot flame 24/7).

Do a search on this forum, there was a very nice well detailed post on this conversion.

J A K

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 07:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone so far!

I am aware of both the propane usage and the heat issue. BTW, our seasonal spot is abourt 10 miles from he Canadian border.

So, the little extra heat is nice at times.

Steve, I could not get your link to work.

Maybe there is somthing wrong with ours. It is a 3-burner Magic Chef with the turn knob for the spark. We turn the gas on and then need to crank the knob for spark.

We normally need to crank it for 5 seconds or more. At times, it takes up to 10 seconds to get a burner to light.

I have looked at the location of the ignitor on each burner and two of the three are perfect. One is a little off, but we don't normally use that burner. Also, I have looked closely at the spark. It is bright blue and jumps the gap from the ignitor to ground numerous times each time the knob is turned.

Our old pilot light stove was a no-fuss no-muss type of operation.

I would like to retrofit if possible. If not, if I could get ours to light on the first crank of the knob each time, that would be acceptable.

Thanks for the feedback!

SteveAE

Bend, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 09:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

J A K,

Let’s try the link a different way:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24521274/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1
If that doesn’t work, just Google "RV Oven Igniter" and you will quickly find it....or use the search function on this forum.

I did it to my Magic Chief range primarily for the oven, but it's great for the burners too. Very reliable starts. The mod is a bit different for the Magic Chief than the one in the link, but not too much. It is unlikely that I will come back to this thread so if you want more details on what I did, send me a PM.

Steve

12thgenusa

Lakewood, Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 09:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

link

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Stove top with pilot light - new user
Search:   Advanced Search