|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Running on electric

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
LynnandCarol

Rockport, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/12 07:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assume 13K A/C?? We have a 15K A/C and use the WH on gas only when the A/C is running. Fridge is ok. We also use a separate 120 Connection on the post for outside A/C items (outdoor fridge, lights, sat-radio) to keep them off my 30AMP panel.

eric james

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 07:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The fridge will operate on A LOT LESS LP than the water heater.

2009 Keystone Passport UL 290BH
2003 Ford Expedition EB 5.4L/3.73

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/12 08:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Generally I have the fridge on auto, a 27 inch flat screen and dish, 1 or 2 ac lights and of coarse the converter is on…

If I run the AC and the EWH, or the AC and mic everything just may work ok.. Sometimes for days, but sure enough in time the main in the trailer will trip…

This isn’t normally a problem for me because I only heat water when I need it and can turn something else off or just use it on gas…

the bigger problem remembering something that is getting harder to do…

Maybe a better breaker than what came in it would work better to… it has those double breakers where the 30a main is one half and a 20a for the AC is the other half…

Any suggestions???

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 08:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TheGriswolds wrote:

I am by no means an expert but we run all these on electric all the time plus a 24 inch tv at 30 amp sites. No problems at all with the air running almost all the time with this hot Summer weather. Just lucky I guess.

Same here. Just finished a 3 week stay at an RV park with the 15K AC running, water heater on electric, fridge on electric, a 32" TV in the living area and a 19" TV in the bedroom at the same time, + some 120 vac lights all on 30 amp hookup. Never tripped it. Not the first time I have done that either. DW even ran the washer/dryer several times at the same time and still did not trip.

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/12 09:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have found we can run the A/C OR the electric water heater OR the microwave, pick ONE, and still meet the ANCI recommendations. Will it work with more than one of the above, yes. Is worth the gamble, not IMO.

"According to ANSI C84.1-1995 (R2001) any voltage below 110 volts for long term, or 106 volts for short term, may very well damage things in your RV (most commonly air conditioners, but anything could be damaged)."

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/12 10:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

TheGriswolds wrote:

I am by no means an expert but we run all these on electric all the time plus a 24 inch tv at 30 amp sites. No problems at all with the air running almost all the time with this hot Summer weather. Just lucky I guess.

Same here. Just finished a 3 week stay at an RV park with the 15K AC running, water heater on electric, fridge on electric, a 32" TV in the living area and a 19" TV in the bedroom at the same time, + some 120 vac lights all on 30 amp hookup. Never tripped it. Not the first time I have done that either. DW even ran the washer/dryer several times at the same time and still did not trip.

I do monitor the voltage coming to my camper and have good power and while a breaker that trips is a PITA I might be more concerned if I were being a heavy power user and it never tripped …

While I should I haven’t actually done this but, Have you ever totaled how many amps all that equipment draws and how many start amps your AC uses???

DE88ROX

West Michigan. The other West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/12 06:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When im hooked up at a campground, I always use their electricity before I burn my propane.

I was camping over the 4th of july for 2 weeks. The last week and a half temps were at or near triple digits. My A/C ran 24/7. Hot water heater was set on Electric as well as the fridge. I even ran the microwave on occasion with no problems.

TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/12 08:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a VERY easy way to find out PLug them in and turn them on. If they don't trip the breaker then you can run them together (should be able to). If they trip the breaker then they've exceeded the amps the breaker is rated for.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/12 09:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Help me figure this out…

For planning purposes using averages amp loads from the RV tech Library…

The AC @ 14.1 and the water heater @ 10.4 and the fridge @ 6.6 will take 31.1 total amps of a available 30 amps… kick the microwave on @ another 10.4 and it should be a instant tripped breaker…

But don’t forget in the background the converter is using 6.2 amps only leaving 23.8 amps for our use… but the charger is automatic @ 8.3 amps leaving only 15.5 amps for any kind of reliable creature comforts…

I admit I am woefully inadequate when it comes to understanding AC power and how it works… I don’t understand how some can run appliances consuming 45+ amps on a 30 circuit and not be tripping breakers…

If what I read is so, and my calculations are correct (???), then would my concerns that they have a problem and even though its nice to not be tripping their breakers they could be risking a fire danger…

It sure seems to me that my tripping breakers are doing exactly what I expect and hope they would do… even though it can be a major PITA…

More than anything I think the RV industry outgrew the 30 amp standard a long time ago when rooftop AC became a standard… just another way of undercutting, under sizing for a improved bottom lines…

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/12 09:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JJ your raise a good point. My new rig is 50 amp and can really suck the juice if let it. When forced to use 30 amps I must be real selective with the power management. I would occasionally throw breakers with my old 30 amp rig with A/C running.
You raise a good point that the A/C can make 30 amp service inadequate in a hurry, however for the most part with selective use of hi amp items including using propane when necessary 30 amp service is sufficient.

07'Duramax dually,12'Open Range 399BHS
Hawkshead TPMS,Hensley BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake
Blue Ox Bedsaver,air bags,Garmin RV760 w/BC20 camera
Arvika bike rack,Bak-Flip G2
5500 Onan LP,Progressive surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote w/8.0 Nissan
Vu Cube,Splendide WD

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Running on electric