RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Sewer connection extension question.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Sewer connection extension question.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
ReelTime

Thomasville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/12 10:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not mind asking a question but asking a question that has an obvious answer is kind of humbling. So I have put some thought into this and I do not have a good answer so I am ready to be humbled.

Some of my friends say that I am lucky I just say I am prepared. I came across the definition of Luck quite some time ago (do not remember where) “ Luck is when opportunity and preparedness meet”. Preparedness is both enjoyable and sometimes a challenge at least for me that is true.

I have a 30 ft class C Motor home with the common sewer hose connection. A 3-inch pipe with what I call Knobs that the Hooks on the end cap or the end of the flexible hose twist fit over to make a tight connection.

Now is when the Luck “preparedness” begins to take its toll. Thinking that sooner or later the 20 ft sewer hose I have now will be too short and I will need an extension for the hose. I assemble an additional 20 ft hose with a Knob connector on one end and a Hook connector on the other end. It is easy to connect the new Hook end to the 3-inch Knob pipe on the Motor home but trying to connect the free connectors (one Hook one Knob) together with both ends free is impossible. Well I have met a few guys that probably could do this but they were not 63 years old. What is the key to connecting a Hook and Knob connection when both ends are unsupported? The only thing that I can think of is maybe two oil filter wrenches.

Ron
A wonderful Wife
Two kids, 7 Grand kids
1997 Class C 31' Four Winds, Towing 1997 Jeep Wrangler 4 down.

Fire Instructor

Upstate (Albany) NY Area

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/12 10:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The tollerances on these fittings often isn't what it should be. I similarly have two hoses and I can link them together like you want one way, but if i switch the order, and put the "extension" on the TT and the original hose further out, they are VERY difficult to get together or apart. I've only had to add the second hose once over a few years, so it hasn't been a big issue for me.

Fire Instructor

2004 Dodge 1500 4dr 4x4
2009 Rockwood 2607
300 Watts of SunTech Solar Panels
Rogue MPT-3024 Controller & Xantrex PW2000 Inverter

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking!" General George S. Patton

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/12 10:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have found the same problem. It's even worse if you have the hose clamp type fitting. It seems to move before the two ends connect. I tried some silicon spray around the two pieces and it helped some, but didn't solve the problem.

Pokey2

Bel Marin Keys, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/12 10:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps use a little WD40 or the like on the joint before you try to put the two hoses together? Just a thought ....

Monaco Montclair

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/12 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

on our first outing, the first three stops, or maybe four, i had to change the pipe to ground connections,no problem, had over bought a few conections anywho. so now its narrowing it self down. had the fore thought to walk around and check out all other folks connections. ok works for me. took a while for the idiot lites to get down, but again, it works for me ---happy-camping

Dakzuki

Carnation, Wa, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/12 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try "dressing" the hooks up a bit with a round file. Also vaseline on the gaskets will help. I use pre fabricated Valtera EZ coupler hoses and even had to prep them with a file. I sure hope I never have to go beyond 20 feet because I carry two 10 footers.

2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/12 02:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

buy a hose spreader and put a slip slip in and use clamps

Mexnut

On the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/12 02:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe try an EZ Hose Coupler.
EZ Coupler

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/12 03:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JR Products Drain Hose Wrench

ReelTime

Thomasville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/12 04:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys for the input and by combining the suggestions I have a workable solution.

Bob213, the silicone spray did help.

Dakzuki, the Knob end was smooth but the Hook end was another story. The Hooks had a seam right in the middle on the inside on each hook. A round file (left over from the days when I owned a chain saw) did the trick. I really miss having a chain saw but my wife gave me a business card to a local tree service and asked me to get rid of the saw.

Mobeewan, I have a pair of the drain hose wrenches on the way; something like that was what I visualized using. I may not need them to make the connection but getting them apart again will be a chore.

I can now connect the free hook and Knob ends together now taking them apart again is a bit of a chore. The 20 ft hose has worked great everywhere except one place just outside Charleston, SC. The sites were huge; plenty of privacy and 20 ft just barely made the connection. Thanks to everyone who offered a comment, life is good.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Sewer connection extension question.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS