|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> question about a projector

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
not2useful

none

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/12 01:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My husband and I are going to join my brother on a trip for 3 weeks. We will have 3 kids with us and they are not very outdoorsy. I have been needing to buy a projector for work so I figure I buy one now and that way we can take it on the trip with us. I have been looking into pico projectors because it really needs to be portable. I looked in the aaxa p4x. I was wondering if anybody else has used it or has any input on it. I've looked into reviews and it seems be bright and very easy to use. This is the place with the most information Let me know what you guys think or any other ideas to keep the city slickers at ease. THanks

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/12 02:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

not2useful wrote:

.... any other ideas to keep the city slickers at ease. THanks

How about teach them about the great outdoors. Fishing, hiking, bike riding, exploring, making ice cream, books for plant and animal identification, etc.
Now if your trip keeps you in the metro area, then, never mind.

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

2oldman

Wilson Creek WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/12 02:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about a flat-panel TV? That might look a whole lot better.

Escargot

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/12 02:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think kids are more resourceful than we give them credit for. If the 'normal' household/ at home technologies are unavailable, my bet would be they'd get involved in their new surroundings and discover ways to enjoy themselves. Necessity being the Mother of invention and all...

2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

jake2250

Sacramento

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/12 02:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went camping with some friends that had a really nice HD projector, They hung a screen on the side of there FW and every night the kids all sat and watched a movie before bed.
Worked great and we even had kids from other families ask if they could attend..
Great Idea, Get HD and one that is bright..

jake2250

Sacramento

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/12 02:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Called my friend to see what they have,, it's a Mitsubishi 1080P Led projector.
has HDMI inputs.

He also has "Movie Night" at home,, he'll set the projector up in his driveway and project on the garage door, families on his street get together and watch movies and bring food and what not!!
Go for it!! They work great!!!

dupreet

High Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/12 03:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

AV geek here. Those projectors have an 80lumen output - really dim, like a dying flashlight. They will show a weak and dull image even in a pitch black room.

Look at Staples and Office Depot for units with at least 1500 lumens of output. They start around $500; not cheap, but bright enough to have a nice crisp picture even with some ambient (unavoidable) light. Sharp, Epson, and Eiki are good brands.

Todd

PS here is a decent model for $400

Link

Todd

1993 Ford E-350 pushed by a 1988 Wilderness 24' TT

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/12 03:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's an alternate. Look for a copy of the Boy Scout or Girl Scout handbook and look for wilderness activities they can do.

> Stories around the campfire
> Campfire cooking (roast hotdogs on a stick, marshmallows,cook a cake in an orange peel, bisquits on a stick are just a few)
> Snipe Hunts
> Flashlight tag
> Astronomy

There's a ton of outdoor experiences

Here's a link to an online website with a 1911 Boy Scout handbook Look through it you'll find lots for them to do
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/29558/29558-h/29558-h.htm

afob3

Maryville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/12 05:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Epson has served us well at work. I would avoid viewsonics. We have replaced every one of them under warranty and many are failing again now that the warranty is up. We have several hundred of them and have had a 100% failure rate on that particular model.

Agree to check the lumens rating on whatever you choose and price out the cost of replacement bulbs. The price of bulbs is rediculous on some of them.

2012 Koala 25DS
2011 F150 Ecoboost SuperCrew with Max Tow Package

www.familyobrien.net

Tom_Diane

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/12 12:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

afob3 wrote:

Epson has served us well at work. I would avoid viewsonics. We have replaced every one of them under warranty and many are failing again now that the warranty is up. We have several hundred of them and have had a 100% failure rate on that particular model.

Agree to check the lumens rating on whatever you choose and price out the cost of replacement bulbs. The price of bulbs is rediculous on some of them.
DW also got an Epson and in third year of use. We host at a campground and we do a movie for kids every Saturday night so it gets used. No issues other than at the start of the year she forgets a step in getting it going but is basically user friendly. Hers is an Epson Movie Mate 60 I believe is the model. She is wishing however that she would have sprung for the Blue ray version but google epson movie mate and see what they have to offer. While taking it down one night ,it cast the epson image on a hillside in the background and it was nearly as big as drive in movie screen and reasonably clear at that size. About $700 but she got hers on Amazon for just under 600. Her first purchase was a 90.00 department store model and it compared to a glorified projector that we used to get as kids that shined still pictures on your wall, very grainy at best. She learned fast not to go too cheap and is happy with her projector. Works great for other things also. We have hooked our TV to it and watched the super bowl and other programs and can work as karaoke machine.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> question about a projector
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS