RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: My awning this past weekend.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> My awning this past weekend.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
LynnandCarol

Rockport, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/12 05:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Awning is every RV'ers nightmare and PITA! We have started using a large Beach umbrella with a small table with the center hole cut. Easy to put up and serves the same purpose as the awning for the two of us. We still use the awning on occasions when traveling and doing one night setup's.

Bucky Badger

Madison, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/12 06:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mark and Linda wrote:

Rhoda C wrote:

My husband and are Newbies, we took our Prowler out on its maiden voyage last weekend, and i heard about all these awning mishaps,these posts really help. Thanks.

This is one of the reason I made the post. I hope others will read and not let it happen to them. Now...I will always look at awnings. My insurance will replace my damage parts, with no deductible.

It seems like there have been quite of few posts of people leaving their awnings out this season and getting messed up....

Next week i'm sure there will be another.

Fred & Jodie, dogs, Zoey, Mika and Emma

2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

M GO BLUE

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/12 06:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mark and Linda wrote:

We have had temps in the 100's here with no rain. I needed to reseal my driveway so I thought I would take the tt to a local campground for 5 nights of taking it easy. DW was going to be gone south towards Florida for a few days. Friday morning the 13th I took the tt over, parked it, no problems and set up camp. Saturday morning, it was sprinkling some...so I thought I would go back over to the old homeplace and commence with my resealing project. The awning on the tt was angled down and I tied it off so a wind would not blow it. I finished the home project and started back towards the campground when I noticed large amounts of water in the streets. As I pulled into the campground I looked over to where I was parked....I seen my awning. It had accumulated so much water in the center and bent my big roller rod. I managed to get a table pulled over close to the awning and get it rolled back up after dumping all the water. You can imagine what went through my mind..$$$$. Two campsites over the folks lost their satellite antenna after it tipped over in the water surrounding their site. I called my insurance agent on Monday...thank goodness it is covered, no deductible. Next time I will lower it all the way down, tilt it over or just roll it. up.

That was your first mistake...believing something like this would never happen to you

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel
Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

rdturn

Grain Valley, MO. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/12 06:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About 7 years ago I was at a lake and the same thing happened only in the middle of the night. I got up to go out and put the awning down in the storm and the wind literally picked me up off the ground then slammed me down. I was able to get the awning back up after fighting with it for about 20 minutes. I NEVER leave the awning out now when we are gone or sleeping...

-Roger
2004 F250 SD Ford L/B
2008 FR Wildcat 30RL

solismaris

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/12 06:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think tilting one corner down works better than tilting both corners down. That is the way I always set it up; I marked the positions. The rear corner is like 4 notches lower than the front corner. Both front and back are tilted, but back is tilted a lot more.

I have observed it in heavy rainstorms and have never observed pooling. I wonder if I am being too confident?

Wind of course is another matter.

David Kojen

Bonefish

Midland, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/12 06:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We do the same pull in the awning before bed & leaving for the day. Another thing we have started doing is turn the water off to the TT. I have seen many campers gone to come back to water spraying everywhere.

Sharon

214mrj44

quinlan,tx.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/12 07:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back in 72 we were camped in a city park in Ia. A sudden storm came up and rained hard about 10 min. A small camper 16 or 18 ft. awning was as long as rv. The awning filled with water and tipped rv on its side, it was setting on 1 wheel and the awning arms. Nobdy could figure out what to do. A older guy ( maby 50 )walked up and sead he could get it back on wheels poked small hole in awning with a pocket knife it took a while but it set back over on its wheels, no damage except it unloded all the cabnets. Back in those days rv tt wernt bilt very heavy. Mike

2 Retired

Myrtle Beach, SC

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/12 07:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been RVing for over 35 years and never lost an awning! When we were Newbies an experienced RVer told us to get a center support bar for any awning over 15', so we do that. Not only does it really help with 'pooling' in the center of the awning, it makes the whole awning tighter. We also ALWAYS have a significant height difference on one side of the awning - away from the entrance is always at least 6" lower so the water really flows off during even the worst rains. We also ALWAYS use a tie down across the entire awning, getting it as far up on the awning as possible. Like others we use the 'flappers' on the ends too. Know we've been fortunate but also believe we take as many precautions as possible.

Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/12 03:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw a couple parked next to me at a CG arguing along side their light weight TT after the tornado warning was sounded whether they should seek shelter up at the CG building. DW storms out of the TT unhooks the TT and drives away in the TV leaving the ole hubby behind to stay in his precious TT. I don't even think he knew she unhooked it.

Since the TT was no longer attached to the truck the wind came thru and picked that TT up and flipped it on its side and rolled it.

I only wish I would have taken a picture of the guy. Everyone ran to help him but he was already getting out of the TT, beer in hand and the only thing he was upset about was that he had just installed a new fridge in the TT yesterday and it got ripped out of the wall and shattered.

We all we surprised he still had the where with all to get a beer before getting out of an upside down TT!

I have seen many rehook up their TT's and 5th wheels with advanced storm warnings to give it more tires on the ground for stability. I take my MH down off of the leveling blocks for high wind storms.

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

batman99

at seasonal site

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/12 07:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For my TT's long awning, I use deflappers. Also installed horizontal rafter support and vertical support pole. I also keep a good slope on the awning and anchor all 3 vertical support poles to our seasonal deck. Been camping for 10+ years and never had a problem with water pooling and/or wind blasting.

Like many seasonal site RVs/TTS, we blet our large awning out in the spring and roll back in the fall. Thus, having our large awning out all summer (from spring to fall) months.

For more details of these optional support items, surf:
Awning material de-flapper - click here -
Middle rafter & vertical support - click here -
Vertical anchors (to deck or cement blocks) - click here -

Note: If for some reason our large awning does break, I would use insurance replacement dollars and replace with a non-white color awning materail. I'd go with blue or tan awning instead. White takes way too much energy to keep clean. And, I'd use deflappers with one vertical center support pole, with the new multiple bow support rods, as seen within - click here -

Hope this helps others...

* This post was edited 07/19/12 08:04pm by batman99 *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> My awning this past weekend.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: