RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: PLEASE HELP..WINDOW LEAK..

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> PLEASE HELP..WINDOW LEAK..

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Calisdad

groveland, ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 12:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it was mine I would use a liberal amount of silicone behind the trim strip knowing that if I ever needed to remove the strip I would need a new one. Maybe even cap bead the strip to the glass.
If I were giving advice I say call the manufacturer with your concerns. At this point I would expect them to say its just cosmetic.

TreeSeeker

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 06:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have mentioned, it could well be the running lights. These lights are designed to leak, or rather drain, but leak they do. There are several holes inside the lens for the wires and and screws to pass through the fixture, and there are drain holes also. The problem is that when they are not mounted on a vertical surface then the water leaks into the hole in the cab-over where the wires exit. Also, when driving in rain, water can be driven up into the drain holes of the fixture.

I used ProFlex RV caulking to seal all the holes in the light fixure and also around the fixture. Try this to see if it solves the problem. It really should be done on all cab-over RVs due to the slant design.

Oh, and I recommend never using Silcone on an RV. It doesn't stick all that well. More importantly, you can't retouch a Silicone caulking job since Silcone will not even stick to itself (nor will any other caulking stick to it). IMHO ProFlex RV is a much better caulking for RVs.

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 08:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just my 2 cents. Those rubber seals really don't seal anything. Their more for show. I had two of them go bad so I just eliminated it and put a heavy bead of a roofing product called "Through the Roof" all around. The stuff is expensive but it never cracks and seals really well. Regarding the overcab lights. Mine we're cracking because of the close proximity of the bulb to the plastic(heat). I switched to LED's end of problem. If you want to trace a water leak, one thing to try is add some red food coloring to a bucket of water, then apply some of it to suspect area's. It makes it much easier to trace and is not a permanent stain. Wipes right off.

Retired Anesthetist. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings.1996 Jayco C 22 foot with 460/Banks Powerpak/Bilsteins.Wife and daughter. Two cats which control my life. 1975 Ford F-250, 84 Coupe Deville, Thorp T18, tons of tools and tons of junk.

crawford

Dandridge Tenn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 09:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same problem it wasn't the window turned out on roof where seam meet rubber roof. The seam where the front over hang meets the flat rubber roof, inside frame water follows where it leans. Clean reseal it.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with comment that rubber gasket is more for show than water prevention - pics of water aren't clear on my monitor and if you have any doubt about whether window is still leaking then take the rig to the guy who installed the window and ask his opinion. If it's condensation then it's no big deal - same issue you get on home auto - just need to provide ventilation.

Kevin

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> PLEASE HELP..WINDOW LEAK..
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS