|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Onan 5500 Carb

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
MCR500

Central Calif.

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/12 07:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well.......

It finally happened to me. The gen has been bulletproof for the last 7 years I have owned the FW. I run Stabil in the tank, can't say I exercise the gen under load once a month, and have never had an issue.

Last pre-trip, I fire the gen, runs for 2-3 minutes, and dies. Flashes "code 14". Will run all day under load, but as soon as the load is taken off, it dies in a minute or two.

Searched this great site (and others) and the concensus is that the carb needs to be replaced.

So my question is: Who has the best deal on replacement carbs for the 5500? Anyone had any luck cleaning them? I thought I may try if it can yield good results.

Also read on another site that adjusting the governor may work also. Anyone done this?

Thanks in advance for any/all help and suggestions.

C-Ya!! Mike

04 WW 3705 SLC All the options!!
05 Ford F350 CC DRW 4x 6.0
Toys:
97 Honda CR500(dads)
05 KTM 525EXC(dads,Cal.Plated!)
12 AC Wildcat(dads)
06 Rhino 660 LT(#1 son)
05 Honda TRX-250(#1 daughter)
05 Honda TRX-250(#2 daughter)
00 Big lawn chair(#1 wife)

ssduane

San Diego, Hooli #380

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/12 08:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

when mine did that a few years back I hit the carb/linkage with some air to get all the dust and dirt off the linkage/springs then sprayed it dwon with carb cleaner. Seemed the governor was getting slightly bound and getting the over freq. This was years ago and still works good.

06 GMC2500HD DMAX/AL, 4XCC/SLT SRW
07 Cherokee Wolfpack 295
2012 KTM 450 XC-W
Raptor 778cc SE2
KFX434 her's
Z434 son's
DINLI DB90

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/12 12:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it runs all day under load,it's not the carb.

Other half is camping with the angels,Riding alone for now.

2008 3500 Dodge Ram CTD dually 4X4 SOLD
2007 Gulfstream Endura Max 40 SOLD
2001 Polaris Ranger 4X4 SOLD
Harley Dyna Lowrider.

Mod Pics

Steve O Reno

St. Peters, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/12 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I posted a thread about this a few weeks back. A onan dealer/service center said they would look at it and will fix under warranty all but a dirty carb. My buddy just brought his ultrasonic cleaner over and I will give it a shot but dont hold out hope. I have also researched about places to buy non ethanol unleaded gas and will be doing that as well. In St. Louis our gas starts turning in a week or so. Thanks EPA......

allcool

sFL_Glamis_PHX

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/12 08:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tried cleaning the carb. I am really good with carbs and engines. Have successfully rebuilt, and modified, more carbs than I can count. It helped temporarily, kind of,but not the answer on these Onan carbs imo.

Although have read people on here have used ultrasonic carb cleaner tanks that have worked for them. The tiny non accessible a/f passages on the Onan carb, and no rebuild kits available, make rebuilding/cleaning a no go for the most of us.

Most of us want the gen to start and run trouble free whenever we need it, no excuses accepted. Especially in this heat wave we are seeing now. Once the Onan carb starts giving trouble, its the end of dependable trouble free gen service in my experience. Fortunately a new carb restores like new operation in most cases. It did for me.

Have seen the Carbs online/ebay for $160. Also seen them for almost $300 installed at the Onan dealer.

http://www.anyrvparts.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=11248&SID=39&DID=59&CID=120&BID=

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-ONAN-CARBURETOR-541-0765-/4508921589

Do yourself a favor and don't waste time and get frustrated, just get a new carb installed and adjusted correctly and enjoy another 7 years of good service. And as you know, exercise once a month even with stabil.

By all means check basics first, like free working non sticking linkage and governor springs all intact, etc...

jmo

* This post was edited 07/20/12 10:57am by allcool *

2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid

Biily

Aransas Pass TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/12 06:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought my carb at Cummins Southern Plains, Arlington TX $169

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/12 04:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

danojeno wrote:

jetboater454 wrote:

Please tell us why you say this?

Maybe because of what was in the post...
" Will run all day under load, but as soon as the load is taken off, it dies in a minute or two."

_Me2_

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/12 07:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine did the exact same thing when I bought it. I think it was the same code, but I'm not 100% positive on that. I had to experiment with adjusting where the governor spring sits, but once it was dialed in, there were no more problems. Worth a try before buying a new one.

2005 Ford F250 PSD Lariat CCLB 4x4, 6" Fabtech lift on 35s, airbags
2006 Rage'N Falcon 3405

danojeno

Corona, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/12 01:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jetboater454 wrote:

Please tell us why you say this?

2006 Chevy 2500HD 8.1 4x4 CCSB
2012 Eclipse Stellar 28SBG, Spring Over Axle

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/12 12:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The pilot (slow) jet is much smaller than the main (fast) jet. It is easy for the smaller jet or the emulsifier tube on the needle to get clogged. Running the genset at least once month and using fuel stabilizer will help. I have had good luck cleaning carburetors by removing them and stripping all the parts off before blowing compressed air and cleaner through all openings. I never had trouble with my Marquis Gold since it was used often, but have cleaned my share of carburetors on lesser used equipment.

Arctic Fox 811S-Ford SuperDuty F250-Honda Passport C70B-Interstate 20' Car Carrier-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX-Tank Touring 150SE-VW 1200sp-VW 1600sp-VW Jetta TDI

View my profile for rig details.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Onan 5500 Carb
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS