|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton trucks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
geo04

Newark

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/12 11:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I plan on buying a truck then a small ( 24 -26 ft )fifth wheel rv. What are the best choices? Is the Tundra out of the question?

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/12 12:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most folks repeat the old mantra; no 1/2 ton can pull a FW. It's not true because today's 1/2 tons are not our grandfather's 1/2 tons. But, you must fit the FW to the truck. The Tundra is not out of the question. Go with a small FW, with the lowest loaded weight and no more weight on the pin than the truck can carry as a load. I'm borderline with my signature rig, but would not be with a smaller FW.

2002 Keystone Cougar 286, 8,400lbs loaded, pulled with a 2004 F150 Supercrew, 5.4, 3.73 gears. Retired and enjoying life

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/12 04:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IT all depends. The more weight of a fifth wheel hitch is more likely to overload the truck. Yet a bumper pull type will have a much lower hitch weight to overall weight ratio.

Because you are shopping for both truck and RV, you can select a combination that will work together.

One thing to consider is that the rear tires do take a lot of side to side sway if not the correct type and width, and make for uncomfortable driving while going downhill on a two lane mountain road with a lot of curves in it. Steel sidewall tires can help out with a lot less side to side sway, not are not on all trucks. Many 1/2 ton trucks even have passenger rated tires, not something ideal with towing a trailer.

I know that many are impressed with the F-150 and maximum towing capacity, especially when equipped with the 3.5L Ecoboost engine, or even the 5 liter V8.

Fred.

hallock5

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/12 06:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would lean 3/4 for the simple reason if you ever want to upgrade the size on your Fiver, you won't have to upgrade your truck at the same time. But I also understand for the sake of mileage and the possibility you many not camp often, a more economical vehicle may work better for your situation. A penny for my thought and I issue refunds.

2008 Jayco Eagle Superlite 28.5RLS
2002 Ford 4x4 SuperCab 7.3 (Jr International) Diesel

Sad to say, time to sell to a good home.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/12 07:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can spend a lot of time researching exact weights, calculating cargo capacity, and comparing 1500 series truck ratings. In the end you may find a combo where the numbers just barely work.
OR . . .
You could buy any 2500 series truck and be assured that it would safely pull and stop most any FW in your size range.

wldbill

SD

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/12 08:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Always buy more truck than you need, because you WILL need it. Windy day, up or down a steep grade, upgrade the camper, etc. all good reasons to go with the 3/4 ton.....

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/12 08:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry but nobody BUILDS half ton or 3/4 ton trucks now days (and haven't for a number of years). For most trailers in the size range you mention you would be able to tow them with many compact sized trucks, and 150/1500 size truck from any manufacturer would easily handle the job. Of course the SuperDuty, HD Dodge or GM products could also easily handle the job so you have the opportunity to choose just about brand you like for your trailer and almost any size (with the exception of some of the 4 cylinder models).
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/12 08:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I won't get into the specifics of different trucks, but I will tell you that my f250 pulls my 5700lb dry 26 foot 5er as if it was not pulling at all - except when I need to STOP. And then it's good to know I've got the brakes. For years we pulled a small 5er with a f150 and it always got us there, but the drive was not nearly as enjoyable.

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/12 08:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Technical Support.

netaq

Atlanta, GA

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/12 09:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the pin wt (trailer gcwr x 20%) is less than payload of truck minus passenger plus gear its fine.

I looked very hard at f150, but went with the f250 because I knew I was getting such a large trailer. I didn't want to run with payload being maxed out, plus with the f250 there's room for larger components like radiator, brakes, full floating axles, etc.

What's your rationale for fiver vs TT? Generally speaking, you can pull a roomier TT with the same size half ton due to the lower hitch weight.

2012 Ford F-250 XLT 6.2 FX4
2012 Keystone Cougar HC321RES

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton trucks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: