|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Working the bugs out of new TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Buzam

Sooke, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/12 02:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We pick up our new 2012 Island Trail(dutchmen)275BH next week . I would like to do a couple of small weekend trips in the next few weeks to work out as many bugs ect that could pop up with a new TT. We have a 350km trip to go dry camping in Manning Park planned for the Labor Day long weekend. I would like to have as good a handle as possible on the TT by then.
Are there any common problem areas I should be aware of?

2011 F150 5.0L
2012 Island Trail 275BH

Opie431

Bellevue, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/12 05:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you camp for a weekend in your yard or driveway without every going in you house. That is the best way to learn what you have forgotten and what you need to know.
You do not have to stay in the TT because when you are camping you will go to the beach, have a picnic, go to the movies but you cannot go in the house to get the things you have forgotten.
And of course you can but it shows you what you have forgotten.

Opie431

Bellevue, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/12 05:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Opie431 wrote:

Can you camp for a weekend in your yard or driveway without every going in you house. That is the best way to learn what you have forgotten and what you need to know.
You do not have to stay in the TT because when you are camping you will go to the beach, have a picnic, go to the movies but you cannot go in the house to get the things you have forgotten.
And of course you can but it shows you what you have forgotten.

And as soon as I posted this I remembered, you will not learn how to keep food and dishes from moving around when you travel.

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/12 06:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you pick up your RV the dealer should give you a guided tour of your new toy. (PDI, pre delivery inspection) Make sure he shows you everything, turns everything on and makes sure it works, doesn't just tell you how to do things. Connect to water and power and runs water thru faucets, toilet, etc. Open and close the awning. If things don't work have them fixed on the spot

Enjoy your new RV.

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

rrupert

NW PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/12 07:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tenbear wrote:

When you pick up your RV the dealer should give you a guided tour of your new toy. (PDI, pre delivery inspection) Make sure he shows you everything, turns everything on and makes sure it works, doesn't just tell you how to do things. Connect to water and power and runs water thru faucets, toilet, etc. Open and close the awning. If things don't work have them fixed on the spot

Enjoy your new RV.

I completely agree!

Rich and Joyce
2010 HiLo 2310H
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU

Wills250psd

walnutcove NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/12 06:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check all the supply lines and drain lines under the sinks I have had probs with them before.If you have access check the tub drains etc. Water is the number one enemy. Good luck

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/12 08:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rrupert wrote:

tenbear wrote:

When you pick up your RV the dealer should give you a guided tour of your new toy. (PDI, pre delivery inspection)
Make sure he shows you everything, turns everything on and makes sure it works, doesn't just tell you how to do things. Connect to water and power and runs water thru faucets, toilet, etc. Open and close the awning. If things don't work have them fixed on the spot Enjoy your new RV.

I completely agree!

As listed above make sure they DO everything not just tell you how.

~~AND~~
VIDEO TAPE the entire PDI!

Trust me it WILL be the 'most watched video' in your TT on those first few trips out!

Most don't remember 1/2 of what the guy told you when it comes time to try and remember how to do something. That's where the video of it comes in really handy.

I do NOT take delivery of any RV I buy UNTIL they PDI it with me first. Makes for real immediate repairs of anything that didn't work! If they are sitting there waiting for your check and something isn't right, trust me that RV is thrown into the service dept to be fixed.

If you do the PDI AFTER you've paid for it and now own it and something doesn't work they usually will tell you "bring it back after your trip" or "oh well go to the service dept and make an appointment".

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/12 07:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your dealer is at ALL on the ball, there should be no "bugs" to work out with a brand new trailer. If there ARE then you've selected the wrong dealer. Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/12 06:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure you know the location of all FUSES, Circuit breakers and GFCI reset buttons. I can not tell you how many threads there are here about those 3 items but it is many.

If this is a trailer tow it to a vacant parking lot, a big one, and practice parking it Towing it, backing it and so on. Practice makes it easy.

Lady next site over was telling her husband how I backed my Class A in "(No back and forth, Straight in first try) I do admit I cheated, but hey, It's easy with practice.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

BigBoy11

Chambersburg, PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/12 03:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No matter how much you check over at the dealership and how thorough the PDI, there will be issues (hopefully small) that will arise after you get your TT home. When we picked up our 2012 Dutchmen Kodiak, we had a very complete PDI and familiarization session with a service tech. We had a 200 mile trip home and stopped at a couple of state parts where we were able to personally shakedown the furnace, a/c, refrigerator, outdoor grill, etc. and everything went fine. Within a couple of weeks the chrome lug nuts started rusting beyond belief (covered under warranty and have the new ones), the ceiling had shifted causing one of the plastic joint covers to come loose, a screw fell out of one of the blinds; in other words little niggles. But, niggles none the less so there is always something to work on. This week I painted the spare tire mount that had also rusted badly and touched up various rust spots on the grill swing arm, the hitch and wd hitch tensioners. Make sure the big stuff works fine and be prepared to fiddle with little stuff.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Working the bugs out of new TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS