|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
JLTN_James

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/12 07:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But one of the good things about NE Wyoming is that you're likely to get help from people passing by. I carry standard tools (screwdrivers, pliers, small socket, etc). Everything fits in a simple tool box. If you need more, you're better off calling in a tow truck.

For those visiting DT area, take an hour or two and check out the Vore Buffalo Jump site. Really neat, especially for anybody interested in the Plains Indian life. Lots of touch & feel down in the excavation building.

Enjoy the trip.

2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 (V8, 4WD, TP, TRD)
2005 Fleetwod Allegance with axle flip
Honeywell 2000i Generator

Me, DW, DS, DD, & Chicken-Dog

schwartzworld

Lake County, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/12 11:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sharon and Larry wrote:

Good Day All,
The wife and I and the dog Walter will be leaving town in early Aug. for a 10 day trip out to Devels Tower in WY.
What I would like to see is if I have everything I may need in case of a brake down. I do not want to take my whole tool box! Just the things that I hope I will not need. Thanks, Larry

Take the tool box. Also take 2 sets of wheel bearings (I'm assuming we're talking about a travel trailer). Take the bearings, seals, nuts, cotter pins and grease. Once you pass Sioux Falls theres no one until Rapid City to help you out. I know, I had to turn back to Sioux Falls for repairs when we lost a wheel on our trip last year. I'm loaded with tools and parts now.

Fred

cacoon

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/12 12:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beside the basic tool box, I always have duct tape. I also added a pair of tin snips. My friend had a blow out,tire rubber wrapped around axle. The only way off was to cut it. My tin snip cut right through tire and we were able to get it off.
Cacoon

Artemus Gordon

Redding California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/12 01:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glasses repair kit!

RLS7201

Very Very

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 02:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Carry a small collection of tools that you know how to use. If you don't have what you need with you, go to the hardware store or auto parts store and purchase what you need for that break down. You're still many dollars ahead of paying some one to fix your problem. Lost an alternator on the road once. Bought a replacement, 2 wrenches and a large screw driver to tighten the belt. Can't buy a mechanic for the price of the tools.

Richard

ridingfamily4

Corona, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/12 02:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we carry this set:
http://www.qcsupply.com/351627-crescent-170-piece-mechanic-tool-set.html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CNPfnN3UtbECFQxshwodQmAAIQ

btcruzer

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 03:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be prepared. If you are, chances are you won't need the tools. The best tools are a checklist and an eye for detail. Almost always it is easier to avoid a problem than to repair it.
My tools have used the most by other people, or by me on other people's rigs. I know that I carry more tools than I'll ever need but they don't weigh all that much and I have the room. Sometimes it is hard to know where to draw he line -- a bolt and nut might require the same size wrench, maybe a socket won't do, so now carry two sets of wrenches or just one and an adjustable? Regular or deep well sockets? Ever had a place where a deep well couldn't be used?
There is a down side of being prepared and never using your tools/supplies. Electrical and duct tape, glue, sealers and such do go bad at some point.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS