|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> 2006 RT Onan 2.8 cutting out

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/12 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To get to the fuel pump, drop the generator (exhaust off, 3 AC wires, 1 12V DC, fuel hose, and 1 snap connector, 5 bolts). Remove the top of the green box (4 torx heads, lift off).

The pump resides in the left rear corner, taking the service access door as 'front'. About $60 at the Onan dealer. Be wary; somehow they sold me an identical pump, except the outlet was facing the opposite direction and the bracket was about 3/4" too low. Compare carefully before installing.

Have fun! I sure did (ha!)

Jim, "When the chips are down, the buffalo's empty!"

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory') www.tigervehicles.com

1donald

Springfield, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/12 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shortly after we bought our 2007 RT 210 Popular in March 2007 we experienced the same problem. Had it to the Dealer & the third time they discovered that the the Oil Sensor was not working properly. Haven't had a problem since they replaced it.
Don & Jean
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular

Don & Jean
2013 LTV Unity TB (Diesel Generator)(Stabilizer Jacks)(Macerator)(Side Turn Camera)(Entertainment Pkg)
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular

My Roadtrek

Tucson, AZ.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/12 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FLSTFI wrote:

Thought I would give it a try this morning while it was still cool.
After 1:30 minutes running under load I came in to getting something to eat. When I went back out in about 20 minutes it was still running but started surging and then quit. Started it again and it ran for about 20 minutes then quit.
The spark arrester should be an easy one to check so I will do that first.

CJBill, your description with the fuel pump problem sounds like it could be the same problem. I will check the old service manual and see how much work is involved in getting to it.

Any more ideas keep them coming.
Thanks all for the help.

My memory is faded on doing the spark arrestor, but I remember that you need to mark the position of the screw, or it will be really hard getting it lined up, and the screw back in, when you reinstall it. Maybe Jim remembers better than me.
Oh, and if I remember correctly, changing fuel filter is no walk in the park either.

* This post was edited 07/22/12 09:21pm by My Roadtrek *

kmb1966

Lake Charles

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/12 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

interesting spec sheet link....?

My Roadtrek

Tucson, AZ.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/12 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kmb1966 wrote:

interesting spec sheet link....?

I fixed it. I guess you could see where my mind was at.

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/12 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, I'd sure try the spark arrestor first... and spray _lots_ of solvent over a few hours up into the area before trying to pull it out. BTW, the 2800 weighs 113 lbs. if you do have to pull it.

Jim, "The only people who know all the answers are the unemployed politicians."

Liketoroam

Waterford,Pa

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/12 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been following this thread and more about generator problems with the 2.8 Mine has been acting up for the last year. I changed the filter and yes it was a pain. No help, it still ran bad,with a load on it, it would really surge and then cut out. I was guessing that it was the fuel pump after it would run for 15 minutes then quit. Then this thread came up and I dropped the generator onto wood blocks and changed the pump. It is now running as I type and running smooth. Another thing that surprised me was all I had to disconnect was the fuel line, all other wires had plenty of slack so I did not disconnect anything else except the battery. The whole job took less than an hour. I want to say thank you all for the information.

BudJ

Kenner, LA

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/12 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good to hear stories like this Liketoroam.

Thanks for posting.

Bud

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/12 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Liketoroam, glad to hear that it's working for you. It's so much more satisfying when you do it yourself, instead of signing a credit card slip, ain't it? Congratulations on not having to do a full disconnect.

Mine has stood up to two three hour loaded runs so far, but we just haven't had the really hot 90+ weather here that my issues happened in earlier. So I'm just giving myself a conditional 'good to go'.... It's definitely quieter inside since I got it 1/2" away from the bathroom wall, added some more sound-deadening, and replaced the missing motor mount. Probably about the same outside, but I haven't checked it with the db meter yet.

Jim, "... a collection of parts flying loose formation on an oil leak...."

funtogo

Amory,Ms.38821

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/12 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you haven't already done so,I would change the spark plug just for good measure.A friend did this with the same symptoms and it cured his trouble.

2006 Cardinal 30TS(Sold)
2006 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 D/A(Sold)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> 2006 RT Onan 2.8 cutting out
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS