RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Please help me remove Norcold 1200. Where are the bolts?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Please help me remove Norcold 1200. Where are the bolts?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
08-450dually

idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/12 03:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for looking. I see four bolts on the rear of each of the ice boxes. Anywhere else I need to look?

Need to pull fridge out and check or replace cooling fans on rear of unit. Sooo tempted to replace with residential unit......

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/12 05:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those bolts hold the cooling unit in DO NOT REMOVE. There are screws around the face (remove the plastic caps) and there may be some at the back. Open the outside vent and look for several at the bottom screwed into the wood floor.
Before you take it out check how much room there is between the coils and the wall. Study this article on proper venting.
While you have it out add a pair of wires from either side of the Tstat so you can manually turn the fans on. I also added a third fan.
I would also add some reflective tape between the boiler flue and the back of the case as that area get fairly hot.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

jauguston

Bellingham, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/12 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to rvcoolingunit.com and download the installation instructions to install one of the updated Amish cooling units in a 1200. The instructions give a complete remove and install instruction.Our coach is in the shop now having one installed.

Jim

2005 Coachman Sportscoach Elite 402 40'
350hp Cat C-7 w/MP-8
7500w Onan quiet diesel generator
6-Kyocera 130w solar panels SB3024i MPPT controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
1987 Suzuki Samurai tintop Toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel power

emiddleb

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/12 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On a different forum a guy did a swapout of a 1200 for a residential, and thoroughly documented the process with photos of the removal and install.

Here's the link, might be of some help...

1200 Swap

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Roadmaster Tow Dolly

08-450dually

idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/12 12:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you so much. Will refer (pun intended) to this thread.

Jaime

Clay Smith

Quartzsite, Az

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/12 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While the refer is out, you may want to take the opportunity to improve the insulation around it.
What I had found in the hardware stores, was that the water-heater insulation blankets happen to measure 48" wide by 76" tall and consists of 2 inches of fiber glass with plastic on one side. I got one and cut it right down the middle and stapled each half onto the sides of the cabinet walls. Plus, being that each piece was 76 inches tall, the extra was able to be utilized above the refer.
The insulation naturally fluffed out from the walls, but having the plastic protecting it, it pushed right into place when we pushed the refer back into the opening.

jauguston

Bellingham, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/12 10:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before considering a residential refer do you ever go to campsites that don't have power? The electrical draw of a residential refer will make that option difficult. If your RV routine is driving from power post to power post it won't matter.

Jim

jauguston

Bellingham, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/12 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You and I are on the same page. I would not EVER consider a residential. We use our coach year around usually a week to ten days at a time. Non-serviced sites in State Parks 99% of the time. I would consider a routine where I had to drive from one power post to another a terrible way to see the country. We spent a total of three nights in a full hookup private RV Park last year and wished we hadn't. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Jim

big whitey

raleigh,nc

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/12 06:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

08-450dually wrote:

Thank you for looking. I see four bolts on the rear of each of the ice boxes. Anywhere else I need to look?

Need to pull fridge out and check or replace cooling fans on rear of unit. Sooo tempted to replace with residential unit......

you would be way ahead of the game if you would follow your first instinct and replace the worrisome fridge with the non worrisome residential.

DryCamper11

Hartford

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/12 12:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

big whitey wrote:

you would be way ahead of the game if you would follow your first instinct and replace the worrisome fridge with the non worrisome residential.

I am amazed that anyone would even consider using a residential in an RV. It takes a huge effort for me to even get my mind around changing things around so that they lose everything in the fridge if they are away from power for very long.

I mentioned to my wife after reading a few posts here that some people thought this was an option and she was also amazed. Our fridge is full of expensive stuff when we pull out (DW loves to cook) and we never expect to have power. Our goal is always to be as isolated as possible.

I realize others prefer to have AC power and there are definite advantages to residential when you do, but I just can't imagine being so certain of that to be willing to take the risk of losing stuff.

I'm not saying it's wrong - just that I'm surprised others think it's a viable option.

Does anyone have a feel for how % many people have done this, and/or how % many people think it's an option for the way they use their RV?

In the Boonies!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Please help me remove Norcold 1200. Where are the bolts?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS