|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> How to make your outdoor shower way betta

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
ZZSPIRAL1

CARSON CITY

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/12 03:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This mess started with one of those bisque shower hoses with cheap plastic fittings. They snap under any pressure and leak, so if your connection to the shower is on the inside (like mine), then you can have problems. Don't buy those hoses.

The "professional" supposedly fixed this with an upgraded hose, but he put it on backwards. There was not enough thread, so he figured snug was good enough. Oh yeah, that hose came with a shower head, of which the threads were broken. Don't buy these either.

Anyway, I bought another hose, but I still needed a shower head (not readily available). So I purshased a spray gun on a hose, like what you see at the kitchen sink. I tried using brass fittings to reduce from 1/2" (shower Unit) down to 1/4" (new sprayer). The sprayer worked great, but it leaked at the connection of the shower unit. So I took the unit off (again), tightened it down, hooked it up and guess what? No leaks and NO WATER. Now I'm frustrated. I took the unit off (again), cleaned the valve, hooked it up and still...... NO WATER. Long story short, you cannot use brass fittings on the shower unit. The threads are the same, but tightening it down must plug up the valve. So, I cut the lines of the shower hose and the sprayer hose, put a 1/8" coupler between them, and presto.

It works FAR BETTER than any outdoor shower I've used. There's more spray, and the lever is far easier to use. Plus if I ever need a new head, they're $8 at any hardward store.

I don't understand why the manufacturers aren't using these.

* This post was edited 07/25/12 10:18am by ZZSPIRAL1 *

Fire Instructor

Upstate (Albany) NY Area

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/12 03:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Photo, PLEASE!!! I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to fix mine!

Fire Instructor

2014 Ram Laramie w/6.7L Cummins Diesel
2009 Rockwood 2607
300 Watts of SunTech Solar Panels
Rogue MPT-3024 Controller & Xantrex PW2000 Inverter

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking!" General George S. Patton

ZZSPIRAL1

CARSON CITY

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/12 03:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fire Instructor wrote:

Photo, PLEASE!!! I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to fix mine!

I've already caulked. It's actually fairly simple,. Remove the caulking and screws, and disconnect the hot and cold. It could be tight quarters.

Note: The hot and cold water in, and the shower out should be hand tight.

What's wrong with your shower?

ZZSPIRAL1

CARSON CITY

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/12 07:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fire Instructor wrote:

Shower hose connection at top of valve cracked. Temporarily held together with duct tape!

If the shower unit is cracked you probably need a new one. You can buy them online.

* This post was edited 07/22/12 07:24pm by ZZSPIRAL1 *

pinesman

virginia

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/12 04:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you take the shower hose off, there is an adapter available which converts to a garden hose connection. I got a 5' white rv hose and just a regular pistol type hose nozzle. This might not work for all units depending on space but my outdoor shower connects under the sink in the rear bathroom so I can just push the extra hose back into that area. This also gives me the option of adding a longer hose if I want.

Fire Instructor

Upstate (Albany) NY Area

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/12 06:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shower hose connection at top of valve cracked. Temporarily held together with duct tape!

MegaJohn

NW Geogia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/12 06:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fire Instructor wrote:

The fitting on the end of our outside shower hose cracked last fall. We had replaced our inside shower a couple years ago. I was able to tie a string to the broken hose, pull the the broken hose out of the outside shower unit, tie the old inside shower hose to the sting, then pull the old inside shower hose through the oustide shower housing and tighten everything up.

We've had no problems with the outside shower this year and didn't have to remove the outside shower unit from the camper to replace the hose.

I hope this helps with your particular situation.

Happy Camping!
John.

Stock 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 MegaCab, 5.9L Cummins, Automatic, 2WD, Dually
- 30' 2006 Pilgrim Interntional travel trailer, dry weight ~7k pounds, GVWR ~9k pounds
- Husky weight distributing hitch, friction anti-sway control, electronic brake controller

my toys

Western MD

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/12 06:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pinesman: Do you know what kind of adapter converts it to a garden hose size?

2014 Jayco Jayflight Swift 264BH
2008 Nissan Pathfinder

Nancy-USAF Veteran; Dear Hubby Joe-USAF Retired

Why do we have to push 1 for English?

pinesman

virginia

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 04:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe it is 1/2" female pipe thread x male garden hose. I got it at lowes so it should not be too uncommon

ZZSPIRAL1

CARSON CITY

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 10:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pinesman wrote:

I believe it is 1/2" female pipe thread x male garden hose. I got it at lowes so it should not be too uncommon

This would be ideal for showers that have the connection on the exterior of the trailer. Unfortunately, mine is on the inside. That said, it could be converted.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> How to make your outdoor shower way betta
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS