|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> aliner or rockwood

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
keigan2003

danvers

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/12 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i have looked at both the Aliner and Rockwood models and although i would greatly enjoy the Rockwood price point IMO you get what you pay for. The biggest difference to me is the superior quality of construction in the Aliner. Yes historically Aliner has had problems with their flooring in the mid 2000s which has since been corrected. as a consumer there is a huge difference in side by side comparison. I am happy to pay more for a quality product. It is everyone's personal choice on where to spend your money. The flooring of the Rockwood is comparable to the floors in the mid 2000 Aliner models. I ended up purchasing an Aliner and have no regrets. That being said , the aesthetics and options that Rockwood gives you may be worth the risk. Time will tell on those units. Either way I think both will get you outdoors which is really the end result.

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/12 12:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Making a "side by side" comparison between an Ailiner and a Travel Trailer is difficult. Someone who would want or need a travel trailer wouldn't even look at an Ailiner. And an Ailiner customer likes the simple, monastic life style and probably owns a Prius!

I'm not bashing Ailiner. They have a line of very light trailers designed and built well by good 'ol Ralph Tait 40 years ago! Folks love them and to them behind their Volvos or Ford Escapes.

The Ailiner is a tiny, (to me) claustrophobia inducing solid wall "tent" on wheels. With a sharply peaked "V" roof, limited space, a 2 or 3 cu ft refrig, no storage, and made basically for 2 people.

Plus you have to order the optional "high wind kit" to make sure your Ailiner doesn't do it's own impression of Dorothy's House in the Wizard of OZ!

If you're refering to Rockwood Travel Trailers..you have high ceilings front to back, real restrooms, big refrigerator, a bed you don't have to turn back into seating space during the day, roomy interiors that won't cause you to suffer from that feeling that the walls are closing in on you on a rainy day.

I think a person who would consider a Travel Trailer would not choose a Ailiner, and visa versa!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

galexander

Omaha,Nebraska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/12 05:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same decision to make last year, Aliner or Rockwood. I went with the Rockwood because there is no ALiner dealer in the area if I needed warrenty work and I got more bang for the buck with the Rockwood. So far I have been happy with he Rockwood. DW and I went to the Grand Canyon in June, drove almost 3,000 miles and absolutly no problems with he Rockwood.
Good Luck in your decision.

2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 Double Cab 4.3L EcoTec3
2013 Jayco X18D HTT
Equal-i-zer 4 Point WDH
Tekonsha Brake Controller

xzyfsk

Fortville Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/12 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what is superior about the aliner? I am looking at the 2 and they have much of the same components. The stove and sink look nicer. I did some checking and there is almost 7000 difference in similar size models. I can't find a aliner with as much storage as a rockwood a128s. I was quoted 11900 for that model with front storage. It has every option available including power jack. The outside grill looks a bit cheap on the rockwood. What is different about the floor? It looks like the same stuff that I have had in my starcraft popup for the last 15 years. Thanks for the comparison.

DaveInPickerington

Pickerington, OH

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/12 03:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I own (and am happy with) a 2012 Rockwood A122.

Rockwood forum: http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f9/

ALiner forum: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/alinerchaleta-frames/?yguid=117945327

2012 Rockwood A122

beemerphile1

I'm 59, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/12 07:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't believe the Aliner is of superior quality. We love ours but there has been some issues and I consider it to be of similar quality to most every other camping trailer. They are built light, quick, and cheap.

The Rockwood/Flagstaff are built by a large RV builder with many years of experience. I would buy one if my little car could handle the weight. They are definitely much heavier than the Aliner Classic, Sport, or Scout.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it..."
Judge Learned Hand

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

brookside

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/12 12:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fordsooperdooty wrote:

Making a "side by side" comparison between an Ailiner and a Travel Trailer is difficult. Someone who would want or need a travel trailer wouldn't even look at an Ailiner. And an Ailiner customer likes the simple, monastic life style and probably owns a Prius!

I'm not bashing Ailiner. They have a line of very light trailers designed and built well by good 'ol Ralph Tait 40 years ago! Folks love them and to them behind their Volvos or Ford Escapes.

The Ailiner is a tiny, (to me) claustrophobia inducing solid wall "tent" on wheels. With a sharply peaked "V" roof, limited space, a 2 or 3 cu ft refrig, no storage, and made basically for 2 people.

Plus you have to order the optional "high wind kit" to make sure your Ailiner doesn't do it's own impression of Dorothy's House in the Wizard of OZ!

If you're refering to Rockwood Travel Trailers..you have high ceilings front to back, real restrooms, big refrigerator, a bed you don't have to turn back into seating space during the day, roomy interiors that won't cause you to suffer from that feeling that the walls are closing in on you on a rainy day.

I think a person who would consider a Travel Trailer would not choose a Ailiner, and visa versa!

Forest River is now making the "aliner" design under the Rockwood name. Chalet RV has a similar model but they are rather limited in distribution or that has been what I have seen.

Cathy, Alfred, and Andrew.
Appreciating each day

xzyfsk

Fortville Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/12 08:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I decided to go with the Rockwood a128s.We picked it up and camped one night so far. I love how easy it is to set up. It takes 45 seconds if you take your time. This weekend I am camping 2 nights without shore power. I will have lights and water from the battery. I have a outside shower that I can use after dark.;-)

xteacher

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/12 05:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Enjoy your camper! We chose an Aliner b/c of the floor and smaller size/weight. We love the easy set up, too! Still working on storage ideas...

Beth and Joe
3 Grown, Non-camping children
1 Future Camper - Granddaughter Alice (born 6/25/14 )
3 Camping Rescue Pups: Maddie (malti-poo/westie?), Sunny (toy poodle), and Jackson (boxer)

2014 Starcraft AR-ONE 14RB
2010 Nissan Pathfinder

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/12 07:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can also buy the F-R hard-side pop-up as a Flagstaff. Whether it is Rockwood or Flagstaff depends on the dealer's franchise with Forest River. One brand in Tulsa, the other in Claremore and Joplin.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> aliner or rockwood
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS