|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck Camper Ranking

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
ripsterco

CO

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/12 07:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've owned nothing but Lance for the last 20 years and was about to search for a new truck camper. I have no real restrictions on weight, etc. with a 1-ton dually.

I've done all kinds of searches using 3 different search engines in trying to find a non-biased web site that provides some ranking of truck campers based on construction, quality, support, etc. I can't find one.

Anyone know of such a site?

RRUGG

Newaygo, MI,USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/12 07:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you tried the truck campers of America website? Is it still active? There was also a truck camper online magazine.

RRUGG
2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 1500 4x4 5.3L
2011 Kodiak 281RLGS travel trailer
2011 Egg Camper
2010 Chrysler Town & Country
Good Sam life members
Bob & Grace professional retirees

Camped in 49 states. Missing Hawaii.

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/12 08:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Purely curious here. Are you now unhappy with Lance?

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS

racedrvr

Chicago Burbs/Kentucky Lake

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/12 08:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know of any unbiased sites that rank the campers. I think you can get some pretty good advice from some of the longer term members here. There is quite a bit of knowledge and experience here that can guide you if you ask.

Chevy Silverado LT EC 3500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison. Torque Lift/Fastguns, Torklift superhitch,
Honda eu2000i & Companion

Puma Unleashed 351THSS + Bigfoot 25C 9.4

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/12 10:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no unbiased site that "ranks" campers. I don't even know of a biased site.

I don't know of any truly unbiased site that ranks ANYTHING out there.

2002 Chevy 3500 DRW/8.1/Allison & 2000 Palomino B1500 popup TC

-Yes, I haul a popup with a dually. No, I don't think I need a dually to haul a popup.

ripsterco

CO

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/12 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oasisbob wrote:

Purely curious here. Are you now unhappy with Lance?

I'd like to see some changes - for example water storage is small pretty much across the line (new 1172 will hold 35 gal) and that means if you want to go for long without a city hookup that you either filter if you have a source or carry additional.

For the most part the Lance is pretty dark except for possibly the new 1172 with the rear slide and side windows.

No option for the 8cu ft fridge that means you can carry more fresh food.

whizbang

Kenmore, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/12 08:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV ratings and reviews don't tell you much. Folks have wildly different, lifestyles, budgets, and expectations. Every brand has it's fans and detractors. Do your own homework. Enjoy the process. Comparison shopping is work but also fun.

Whizbang
2010 F150 with 1994 Jayco Sportster 7ft Pop-up
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

DWeikert

York, PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 08:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO, your time would probably be better spent looking at the different floor plans available and narrow down your choices to what you would be interested in. You can find a list of manufacturers in the More Truck Camper Info!!!! sticky at the top of the Truck Camper forum. After that, search the forum and ask for opinions.

2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

17oaks

17 Oaks Ranch

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 08:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whizbang wrote:

RV ratings and reviews don't tell you much. Folks have wildly different, lifestyles, budgets, and expectations. Every brand has it's fans and detractors. Do your own homework. Enjoy the process. Comparison shopping is work but also fun.

You are so right...

Having never owned a TC until a few years ago I had NOTHING to go on. My approach:

Talk to a lot of folks ASKING what they like and what they do not like

ALWAYS think in terms of functionality not cost. Ask your family what they want then ask what they NEED.

At some point in time you will have a good idea what what you want and need in a TC. Now comes phase 2, finding models and costs to meet your requirements. Now pick you price point and drive it away...

Don
17 Oaks Ranch, Texas
US Army (RET)
'11 F350 4x4, CC, LWB, DRW, Lariat
AF 1150, solar, satellite
Vietnam Combat Veteran

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 01:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ripsterco....being here in Colorado (assuming front range corridor) you have a great ability to go up and down I-25 and see a shootload of makes and models. take an enitre day sometime and stop at all the places (start with Ketelsens and 5 Star RV) there are to look at them. That will help a lot.

Are you looking new only or also used? tank volumes vary a lot, even within Lance. My 1191 has a 45 gallon fresh (plus 6 in the HWH.) The similar Host has a 70 gallon fresh tank (or very close to it.)

You can add windows in some cases (we added them to the sides of our slide and one on the passenger side of the bed in front of the closet.) A rear bathroom side-entry camper is about as good as you can get for being open/airy and have plenty of windows. Last week we stayed at Estes Park KOA for a wedding nearby; the place was packed but as tall as we are we see over a lot of stuff. While sitting on the step to the bed, I could see out the kitchen window, side door window, rear window, 1 of the slide/side windows, and the dinette window (180 degrees in total) and not see a single RV...just mountains, trees etc. I was kicking myself I didn't take a photo through each from my seated position creating a panorama from inside the camper.

2006 LanceMax 1191 - loaded and well-used
2005 C4500/Kodiak 4x4, GVWR 17,500

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck Camper Ranking
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: