RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: From bad to worse....

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

 > From bad to worse....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Wumba

Loudon, TN

Full Member

Joined: 08/24/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/25/12 05:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How old is the TT?

gmcsmoke

Butler

Senior Member

Joined: 07/13/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/25/12 10:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HappyTrails2U2 wrote:

jerem0621 wrote:

These delamination post sure make a strong case for the old aluminum sided trailers.

OP...this is terrible and completely unacceptable. Document document document.

Thanks!


There it is! A new record. It didn't take but 3 post on this subject this time to bring out the aluminum siding salesmen.


Aluminum siding; hiding water damage for years

travel-lady

Apple Valley

Senior Member

Joined: 11/10/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/25/12 10:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wumba wrote:

How old is the TT?


4 years 2 months old......


08 PassPort 245RB
08 Dodge Mega-cab W/Hemi
03 Jayco 10X Quest Pop up
Years of Tent Camping
Pickles the camping Papillon

Leave nothing behind but your footsteps.


jerem0621

Tennessee

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/25/12 10:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gmcsmoke wrote:

HappyTrails2U2 wrote:

jerem0621 wrote:

These delamination post sure make a strong case for the old aluminum sided trailers.

OP...this is terrible and completely unacceptable. Document document document.

Thanks!


There it is! A new record. It didn't take but 3 post on this subject this time to bring out the aluminum siding salesmen.


Aluminum siding; hiding water damage for years


Not going to hide for years and not a sales man... Just a comment. Wood is easier to DIY repair on. No intention of causing trouble.....sorry


Tent: Ozark Trails Cabin Tent (circa 1993)
Pack Mule: 2013 Kia Sorento

"It's Kind of Fun To Do The Impossible"
~Walt Disney~


westend

all over

Senior Member

Joined: 11/17/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/25/12 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the duration of the warranty for the exterior?


'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 10/06/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 07/25/12 10:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HappyTrails2U2 wrote:

jerem0621 wrote:

These delamination post sure make a strong case for the old aluminum sided trailers.

OP...this is terrible and completely unacceptable. Document document document.

Thanks!


There it is! A new record. It didn't take but 3 post on this subject this time to bring out the aluminum siding salesmen.


With as many trailers as I have seen like this I am surprised it took 3 post… if I were the OP I would have mentioned it in my opening post…

It is one reason why I will not own a smooth side trailer… or a aluminum sided one with the IMITATION FIBERGLASS end caps…

This problem happens far to often with all brands and IMO has gotten worse not better… it happens enough they should be required to make buyers aware of it and the policy in place to deal with it…

It happen enough and is expensive enough there should be a class action on them…


Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet


thib2722

Eunice, LA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/04/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/25/12 10:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same thing happen to my Passport. The cost will be about $9K in the end because they will have to replace the entire roof membrane and the front cap. Call your insurance company.

travel-lady

Apple Valley

Senior Member

Joined: 11/10/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/25/12 12:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thib2722 wrote:

I had the same thing happen to my Passport. The cost will be about $9K in the end because they will have to replace the entire roof membrane and the front cap. Call your insurance company.


You really gave me a scare I called the shop doing the work and he said he has worked on many TT like this and he DOES NOT have to replace the membrane yes he'll be replacing the whole front of the Trailer....Whew..

thib2722

Eunice, LA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/04/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/25/12 12:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow... I sure wish the shop I used knew that secret. They had to change the entire membrane and the whole front cap (which comes as one piece). The cost was in the labor. Apparently a lot is involved in removing the membrane and then reapplying a new one and all that caulking and trim work.

Mine started leaking from a hairline crack in the caulking in the front where the roof membrane and front cap met. I check my roof every 6 months, and it wasn't there last time I checked. One day I noticed a small bubble and within days the whole front looked like yours. The guy at the shop showed me why. There is very little wood behind that curved front cap. It's mostly cardboard.

travel-lady

Apple Valley

Senior Member

Joined: 11/10/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/25/12 01:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thib2722 wrote:

Wow... I sure wish the shop I used knew that secret. They had to change the entire membrane and the whole front cap (which comes as one piece). The cost was in the labor. Apparently a lot is involved in removing the membrane and then reapplying a new one and all that caulking and trim work.

Mine started leaking from a hairline crack in the caulking in the front where the roof membrane and front cap met. I check my roof every 6 months, and it wasn't there last time I checked. One day I noticed a small bubble and within days the whole front looked like yours. The guy at the shop showed me why. There is very little wood behind that curved front cap. It's mostly cardboard.


Well I was surprised to find out that they used CARDBOARD also.....Did they replace it with plywood and plastic new insulation and a different kind of outer skin? How old was your trailer? Did Keystone cover it?
They wouldn't even hardly talk with us they said if it was the roof that leaked but this falls under maintenance...we do not have extended coverage did you? Ours started the same way first a little bubble and than the whole front.....My husband also checked it every time we waxed it which is about every 6 mo's

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

 > From bad to worse....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS