|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Radar detectors? WA, OR, NV, ID, CA

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 06:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never had one.
Never needed one.
Normally drive 5 mph over the posted speed limit.
Don't need one here, if there is a cop around all the idiots here slow down to 55 mph or slower no matter what the speed limit is for the road.

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/12 06:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many officers don't even write cites for less than 5 or 10 mph over the limit. It is amazing to me how many drivers really resist having their lives saved by officers who are usually writing cites in areas where there have been lots of accidents.

2013 Monaco Monarch
2012 Jeep Wrangler
AC6CV, ex-WN8RUR, ex-W8RUR, ex-K7RIO, ex-WB6GBR since 1954
Commercial 1st class Radio Telephone, & Telegraph certificate
ARRL 35 WPM Certificate.

kaydeejay

SE Michigan, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WyoTraveler wrote:

Many officers don't even write cites for less than 5 or 10 mph over the limit. It is amazing to me how many drivers really resist having their lives saved by officers who are usually writing cites in areas where there have been lots of accidents.
Maybe so, but we have a local jurisdiction where the limit drops from 55mph to 25mph with an somewhat obscured sign. If you don't know it's there, you can easily miss it.
The cops sit just far enough the other side to nail drivers who haven't QUITE got down to 25mph.
I know the area but was still pulled over. I was going 26mph, but got off with a warning! (YES, for ONE mph over!)
I don't have a radar detector, but I can see this as a case for one!

And DosX - if this isn't a speed trap, what is it???

Keith J.
1999 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver.
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC/SB/DA 2WD, LLY with LBZ air cleaner, 52 gal Titan tank, Bilsteins, Line-X, Westin steps, Prodigy, Retrax cover, 16K Superglide, 5th-Airborne pin-box, Multi-vex mirrors, TST TPMS.

DosX

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 08:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

A radar detector will alert you to speed traps!

There is no such thing as a "speed trap".

DosX

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kaydeejay wrote:

It's obeying the posted speed limit.

"Missing" a warning sign is the driver's fault.

*Oh and actually the term "speed trap" which I'm saying doesn't exists is the kind you are talking about. The wrongly termed definition for what people misconstrue as a trick law enforcement use to ticket drivers. The origin of the term "speed trap" was a distance between objects that officers would use to time vehicles to determine the speed. Trap - "A measured length of roadway over which electronic timers register the speed of a racing vehicle, such as a dragster."

* This post was edited 07/25/12 08:40am by DosX *

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where I live, they use laser detectors. Radar detectors are useless, and it is pretty hard for a laser detector to see the beam until it is too late.

djgarcia

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 09:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In California the Higway Patrol and some local law enforcement agencies have radar detectors on the vehicles that work to the back as well as to the front of the patrol car, it all depends on what the officer wants to do.

If you are following or being followed by a patrol vehicle and the detector goes off, there is a pretty good chance that the radar detector is active in that veheicle.

CHP does not have radar detectors....they run radar for speed with front and rear antennas. The antennas pickup the speed of the vehicle...and no way can detect radar detectors.

I don't know what part of Calif. you are located in, but in northern calif. radar in CHP cars are alive and well giving out tickets. My Valentine radar picks them up all the time, especially on I-5. Some times they use airplanes to spot speeders with CHP's sitting on the "on ramps" waiting for description of the speeder

Dick
djgarcia1939@gmail.com

Tothill

BC

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 08:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TGarrett wrote:

Interactive Map

TGarrett thank you for the map. It saved me having to check with each state.

We drive with the flow of traffic and do not get speeding tickets.

But when you are converting km/h into m/h is can be difficult to be sure you are at an exact speed.

Cedarhill

Deep South

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/12 10:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DosX wrote:

kaydeejay wrote:

It's obeying the posted speed limit.

"Missing" a warning sign is the driver's fault.

*Oh and actually the term "speed trap" which I'm saying doesn't exists is the kind you are talking about. The wrongly termed definition for what people misconstrue as a trick law enforcement use to ticket drivers. The origin of the term "speed trap" was a distance between objects that officers would use to time vehicles to determine the speed. Trap - "A measured length of roadway over which electronic timers register the speed of a racing vehicle, such as a dragster."

A word or phrase means exactly what a majority of people thinks it means. Historical meaning is just that - historical - and has no current relevance. It looks to me like you are talking definitions in order to deny the obvious.

If you do not believe there are areas in this country which have speed limits put into effect strictly to generate revenue, you are one of the most naive people with whom I have ever interacted. I have actually had an officer admit to the scam and tell me their job depended in their participation in it. They admitted that public safety has nothing to do with it.

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 10:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To all of you

Sorry that I used the wrong words, they are radar emiters and antennas that the CHP and LEO's use in the vehicles

Mea culpa, Mea culpa.

Navegator

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Radar detectors? WA, OR, NV, ID, CA
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: