RV.Net Open Roads Forum: 7500KW Onan Quiet Diesel, code "33" over heat! ??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> 7500KW Onan Quiet Diesel, code "33" over heat! ??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/12 12:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ladies and gents,
We're on the first leg/few days of our N. CA trip and near Bishop and was using our 7500KW Onan Quiet Diesel Gen to run the basement air. Well, we've owned the coach now for just over 15 months and the gennie's always operated just fine. It powers up the basement air with ease.
Well, we lit it off, turned on the basement air and just about the time the air started getting cool coming out of the vents, ZAP, the genny up and died. That's the first time it's ever done that. Well, I pushed the start button and it lit right off. And again, just as the A/C was starting to get cold, ZAP, the genny quit.

Well, this was repeated several times. Each time it would re-start without issue. But, it would only run around one to three minutes and then shut down. A buddy arrived and together we started checking things out. One the start switch on the genny itself, is a light it toggle. That toggle light glows red while the genny is running.

Now, the DW got the books to the genny out while we pondered where to start the analyzing. She started talking about codes and, how they're displayed. Well, when ours quits, that little light on the toggle will flash, three times, then three times again, and then a pause. Then it will do the same pattern again and again. Well, that means it's three and three which in super technical terms, code "33".

So, looking that up in the book, it's telling us that the genny is over heating and self shutting down. Now, you can stick your finger in the coolant overflow tank and it's barely lukewarm. I crawled under it and looked into the air intake area and the fan is clear with no debris obstruction what so ever. The part of the radiator I can see, it perfectly clear with no blockage what so ever. The radiator hoses look to be in great shape with no kinks and or weird spots of any sort. I do have an infra red heat gun and while point it at the top (I think it's the top) radiator tank, it's starts to rise over about 205 and ZAP, the genny dies. That, I think is telling me the thermostat is opening, not sure.

My son, who works for an RV service center in San Diego is saying it's highly possible for a bad sensor to tell the genny it's too hot and to shut down when in fact, it's operating temp IS quite normal. But, I've got no way of analyzing that sensor.

The level in the overflow tank is spot on. The air flow throughout the system seems to be perfect. There's a ton of air flowing in and really hot air coming out the back side. We did not try running the genny without any load, so that may or may not have any effect. As stated, we've ran that genny for well over 45 hours (not all at one time) and powered up all kinds of appliances at once and it's never skipped a beat.

We've got a copy of the service manual and code trouble shooting and will start working on part of the possible remedies. But, like many posts here on RV.net, I'd like to know if anyones had the same code and, what may have been the remedy in your case. Thanks for your assistance here. Very much appreciated.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Smitty77

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 06:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's Bishop! We had our QD8000 running for about an hour, and it too shut down in Bishop.

Waited an hour, and started it up again and ran one AC unit without a problem. Rest of the trip all went well.

I suspect my unit was hot, and shut down as it felt it should. With yours being still cool, I agree with the bad sensor thought. We did have the same code 14 months ago, and that was our problem then.

Reno is suppose to have some good shops...

Best of luck, be good, still have fun,
Smitty

Popsie

Livingston, TX, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 07:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no 33 fault

When it blinks 3 3, you have to push the button again, and it will give you a two digit fault code such as blink-blink-blink pause blink-blink-blink-blink-blink-blink which would be code 36. Code 36 could be a clogged air filter or fuel filter.

jones4110

Champlin, MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/12 07:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I assume the oil level is acceptable.

Joan and Bruce
05 Excursion 39L