|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Great Stereo Sound from iPod In Your Rig

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
strollin

San Martin, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/12 05:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

By my definition really great sound from an I-pod is an oxymoron.

But that said.. I have a transmitter very much like that I use with my audio gear sometimes. They do work great. ...

In reality, the iPod is capable of higher audio quality than the FM transmitter so the oxymoron is in stating that one can get great sound from an FM transmitter.

paulcardoza

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/12 06:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're talking about music in an RV now bud, not a souped up hi-fi system at home. With proper configuring, my digital music collection sounds more than acceptable for playing through my coach system, or Zeppelin Air at the campsite, as well as in the car.

wa8yxm wrote:

Paul & Sandra
New Bedford, MA
2003 Monaco Executive M43 DS2

Sooner Schooner

On a Roll

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/12 08:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone have an idea how I can get the tv to play through the surround sound speakers without buying a surround sound system? I would like to just use the dvd/stereo system I already have.

2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher

paulcardoza

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/12 10:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your TV has Audio Out Jacks, connect them to the Audio IN jacks on your receiver......

Sooner Schooner wrote:

Does anyone have an idea how I can get the tv to play through the surround sound speakers without buying a surround sound system? I would like to just use the dvd/stereo system I already have.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/12 12:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

strollin wrote:

In reality, the iPod is capable of higher audio quality than the FM transmitter so the oxymoron is in stating that one can get great sound from an FM transmitter.

That,, I will agree with.

I used to do a lot of audio work back before my Daughter moved out of town.. She is a classical flutist and music teacher.. I worked in WAV or CD quality sound back then, Never compressed audio like on the I-Pod. I still do some a couple of times a year.

Now days I record in PCM (Which is the same as WAV) at CD quality and then "Convert" to CDA after editing. Since CDA, WAV and PCM are all the same except for the "Envelope" portion there is no loss of quality when converting.

Finally I will compress down to either MP3 or ATRAC for long term arcival storage. but the "production" files are always uncompressed.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/12 04:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The FM setups are great if you are stationary, but not so great when driving. we found that once we got on the road every time we changed counties we were picking up new FM stations that were overplaying the selected station for the FM transmitter. That meant finding a new station to pair the transmitter and this was a pain to do while driving.

Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/12 07:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By the way, This RV has a first class Home Theater system, Don't work for the dash radio (Well not exactly) but the "House" radio is a Pioneer with 5.1 Surround sound system The dash radio is straight stereo with a 150 watt amplifier, so it is a fairly impressive system.

And yes, compressed audio is good enough for rolling, rolling, rolling down the highway..

I normally feed the dash radio via an aux input,

NOTEICE to many: My radio did not come with an aux input, but, it had a "hole" in the back that akes a very special plug.. I can plug many things in to that hole, some of them will have an "extension" hole for the next iteim.

Serus radio.. Yup , that plugs in there

Multi-CD changer Yup

If I can find one a multi-MD changer You got it.

Aux in.. I got it.

It does not like my compuer but the MP3 player, Mini Disc or other devices feed it no problem. I like that aux in.

I can feed the big system the same way if I wish.

jake2250

Sacramento

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/12 10:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I-pod/I-Phone + Pandora + small rechargeable speakers + a few high balls and Sinatra and Martin = a great camping time!!!

tdst51

Somewhere in the Ozarks...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/12 01:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

But that said.. I have a transmitter very much like that I use with my audio gear sometimes. They do work great.

The one I have is sold under two names,, I-Rock and I-Beam, I think the I-beam has a 12 volt power cord, both of them are capable of eating batteries,

I got mine at Radio Shack. As others have said, you find 'em all over in the I-Pod accessory isle. Heck you can even get one from Publisher's clearing house from time to time. Appearance varies with the brand but it is almost always weither

A small package with a short cord and a 3.5MM Stereo plug

or.. A lighter plug (Larger than normal) with a control on it and a longer cord with said plug on the end.

Yeah, that's the first thing I thought of when I read this post. Great sound out of an iPod? I don't think there's enough band width to get a good sound. Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

strollin

San Martin, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/12 07:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tdst51 wrote:

Yeah, that's the first thing I thought of when I read this post. Great sound out of an iPod? I don't think there's enough band width to get a good sound. Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

It depends on one's definition of great sound. For most people, the audio quality of an iPod is probably as good or better than any other sound source they have listened to.

Some people are pickier than others. Lots of people claim they can hear a distinct difference between solid state and tube type amplifiers.

In my younger years, I was much pickier but nowadays I mostly listen to music as a background so don't pay that much attention to it. Unless there's hiss, distortion or dropouts, I'm good.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Great Stereo Sound from iPod In Your Rig
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS