RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Campgrounds between Fargo ND and Butte MT ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Campgrounds between Fargo ND and Butte MT ?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
SNOPRO711X

MINNESOTA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/12 12:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are heading from Western Mn to Philipsburg MT next month. I am thinking about doing this drive in 2 or 3 days. In the past when we have driven across ND and MT on I94/I90 we have stayed at Dickinson ND, Medora ND, Glendive MT, Billings MT and Columbus MT. Does anybody have any suggestions for campgrounds along this route?

My only concern is if the temperatures continue to be as warm as they have been all summer that the campgound have shade and electricity. The NP camp sites in Medora, the state park in Glendive and the city park in Columbus do not have electricity.

Also does anybody have any experience in the Philipsburg MT area?

Thanks

sealevel ram

San Mateo, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/12 01:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Couple of weeks ago we stayed a night at the North Park campground in Dickinson, ND.
They have some long and relatively spacious pullthroughs for overnighters. The rate was $30, cash or check only. We got in after 6 and they had several spaces left; not much shade but have 50A electric.
We got booted out of the Walmart Astoria in Dickinson. Glad we found North Park.

Further down the road, if you can boondock, the Cabelas in Billings welcomes you with long pullthroughs and a dump station. Get there early.

Went to Phillipsburg in our Jeep Liberty. Stayed two nights in Anaconda at Fairmont RV Park. Next door to Hot Springs resort with indoor and outdoor pools, and spas. I know, hot springs don't sound too great right now, but they are relaxing.
If you eat dinner in Anaconda, go to Barclays. One of the best dinners ever.

(Haven't updated my map yet for ND.)

* This post was last edited 07/26/12 02:16pm by sealevel ram *   View edit history

"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure."

WhitehouseLV

Big Sky State

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/12 06:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd recommend skipping everything east of Billings. Billings KOA is nice place. We have stayed there several times. Bozeman KOA is nice too but your not that far from Butte. You could always camp off the beaten path...say Red Lodge and go up the Beartooth Highway or stay at a forest service park

Traveling Whitehouse
2009 Keystone Raptor 380LEV
2008 Ford F350 LB CC DRW 4x4
2012 Polaris RZR Boardwalk Blue LE w/EPS
Motorcycles: 07 Honda CRF450X, 2013 Honda CRF80, 08 Honda CRF50
Quads: 07 Honda Rincon, 2010 Pink Polaris 50

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/12 09:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Bozeman, there are is a campground on the east side (Bear Canyon?), at any rate it's near Bear Canyon, not the one between I-90 and the frontage road. We have stayed there a couple of times and would again.
Bozeman KOA, not again.

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

louiskathy

Oregon (presently)

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/12 11:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Exit 161 on the east side of Bismarck (North of I94) you'llT find a KOA. I don't know if they have any openings. It always looks very full when we drive by. Also at that exit (on the south side of I-94) is Marlin's Tesoro Truck stop with a dump station (no water).

There are two new Wal-Marts in Bismarck. The one NORTH of I94 on hwy 1804 allows overnight parking and is the nicer of the two as far as being on the edge of town, on a hill and a view of the sunset.

Anything west of Bismarck is taking a chance of finding a campground with openings due to all the oil field guys parking their rigs.

Kathy

montanacamping

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/12 04:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Springcreek CG at Big Timber MT is nice, with full hook ups at some sites and power and water at all sites and they have a rv dump. Once you get to Bozeman on west it cools down at night and you wont need A/C at night. We have not used A/C this year yet. Around Bozeman we have been cooling of to the mid to lower 50's this week and before that it was cooling down to low 60's. Butte and west is even cooler, but we have been in the 90's during the day around Bozeman.

2009 Jayflight G2
2005 Z71 Burb
2002 GMC 8.1 crewcab

SNOPRO711X

MINNESOTA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/12 09:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I might just have to put in a 650 mile day and go all the way to Billings the first day. Then the next segment of the trip to Philipsburg would be a shorter day.

pawatt

Brainerd MN / Mission TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/12 10:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We leave from Brainerd MN and our 1st night stop is usually in Medora ND at the Medora campground. About 450 miles I think. The campground is not fancy but OK for an overnight.

klm

SIOUX FALLS, SD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/12 07:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used Indian Creek RV in Deer Lodge to visit Philipsburg and Anaconda. It is right off I 90 - nothing special about the park - but a good location to tour the area.

'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN- 1ST MATE CAT - 3 HR TOUR

Silver Eagle 9452

Yuma,AZ Battle Mountain NV

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/12 09:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Patterson lake on the westend of Dickenson, not bad if you like trains,30&50 amp, all back in's,20 bucks a night, 701 456 2074 for res. Medora Campground www.medora.com have a good trip.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Campgrounds between Fargo ND and Butte MT ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS