RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Lifestyle: DH wants to give up camping!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> DH wants to give up camping!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bmet2000

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/12 06:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They all want to help, but I'm not sure exactly how to tell them. They all hate my hitch (it's too complicated and we don't understand it, therefore it should go). I wanted glass shower doors so I ordered the camper that way as I hate the sticky plastic curtain sticking to me. But it has leaked since day 1 and despite numerous dealer 'repairs' it still leaks. Well I took them out with the idea after we found the leak spot we would put them back. No such luck! Now we have shower curtain/rod in there to stay. It's not bad and I will defintely live with it to keep the peace.
I got the tire replaced (another Maxxis of course) and I put the new 24" barker jack on. So we are camping and I am doing much better! My AC on the truck is still not right (even though I am told it is). I know how it was before and it's not even close. After $1400 it should be better than new. But that is another story. We are taking DD to college in a few weeks so that will be WAY stressful, so of course we will be camping streamside in the mountains. That should help. And thanks for listening...

SteveRuff

Bacliff, Texas, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/12 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bmet2000'sDW wrote:

We've had some minor problems in the past few weeks with out travel trailer as well as the truck we tow it with, and my DH wants to sell them both and give up camping!!!
The ac went out in the truck over the 4th of July hoilday when it was 105+ degrees and after a very costly new clutch and compressor, it is still not working right.
We got an allen wrench in one of the trailer tires last weekend and had a flat tire which needed to be replaced. The tub has been leaking around the shower doors, the blind in the bedroom broke, the mirror fell off the wall and broke, we had a terrible time hitching up and the trailer fell off the blocks and bent the jack, and when we got home last sunday, the back slide wouldn't go out!!
DH has been soo busy at work and the one thing he loves to do to get away from all the other stresses of life is causing stress of it's own!!
Have ya'll ever had days like that, when you feel like giving up camping?? Trying to get him to count our blessings and be thankful for all the GOOD things, but he's having trouble getting past all the "issues", which are all fixable.
Any words of encouragment would be much appreciated.
We're going to TRY to leave tomorrow morning for a week at the outer banks, one last family vacation before taking our daughter to college.

That statement alone should make all the others trivial. How many people have a college aged daughter that will spend time with them?

Both retired. Travel with Nicky the Schnoodle. Son graduated and is teaching high school math. We still love our 2006 34' Allegro Bay XB and have 50,000+ miles on her.

Crowe

Billerica, MA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/12 08:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many people have a college aged daughter that will spend time with them?

I have a 20 year old son in college who goes with us on every vacation.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/12 09:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mikim wrote:

We have also discussed giving up the RV. However, we were in a motel room with loud drunks, and some other issues and even though the fuel is expensive we have decided to stay with the RV. We may downsize to a 24 ft C though.

Even if you don't have those issues, there just isn't as much to do if you get a hotel room. You can sit on a balcony, but that doesn't compare to sitting outside of your own camper, tending to a fire and just being a part of the CG community. Hotel living can't hold a candle to it. We went this past weekend and got an oceanfront room to take the grandaughter for a quick trip. Was fun of course, as she is six years old and a blast, but I would rather have been in the RV. Unfortnately couldn't get a spot as it was a last minute trip.

Here'n'There

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/12 09:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well.... I guess I wouldn't have started a post like this but being that the deed is done.... DW and I are going to sell our home on wheels. Fulltiming for 3.5 years - "its been a good ship" but it's time to move on. I guess I just got tired of:

1. Constantly climbing up the vertical ladder to inspect / clean / reseal / recaulk and clean the inside of the vent covers etc etc... coming down saying "where in the heck is the first rung on the ladder?".

2. The weekly dump process and flushing the tank and paying for a professional flush once a year - electrically operated switches... crappola why didn't the "closed light" come on. Oh Brother.. is that black tank switch really closed or is it still open? Mama-Mia

3. The "arrival process" - ALL the stuff associated with setting up, especially the "dialing in" process for the HDTV Satellite dish - Azimuth 129 degrees, Elevation 30 degrees... got it nailed perfect... so where in the $$#@@! is the signal? Maybe I need to shimmy up that tree and cut those two branches....honey, would you hand me the saw?

4. The "departure process" - you know... awning in, steps up, power cord stowed.. where's DW anyway.....

5. The hells-angel's type dude with the @!!##@!! 1200cc motor cycle with the straight pipes that departs the park at 6:20AM. And his gang members with equally loud machines that leave at 2AM on Sunday morning - no doubt on their way to church

6. Constant preventative and minor maintenance... I mean come on... if God had intended us for perpetual screwing and unscrewing of screws, nuts and bolts He (or She depending), instead of eight fingers and two thumbs, He / She would have given us one Phillips head, one flat head screwdriver and an adjustable wrench in place of three of our fingers. Have you ever counted the number of screws in your RV? Again... MAMA-MIA

7. Replacing AC, refrigerator cooling units, water heaters, MW/Convection Oven... oh no.. was that water heater "propane switch" in the ON position this whole time?

8. Low park voltage, maybe that's why BOTH AC's went kapluuey. What?? Carrier exited the RV business and no longer has specialty parts, $3000 to replace with Colemans - high water pressure, clogged water filter... back to Walmart again.

9. And what in the heck is that occasional sewer smell in the trailer after doing "Number Two"... no no, not going into the bathroom, closing the door and sitting down (#2)... I meant completing the task 2. above.

10. Attempting to cook a 20 pound turkey... forget-a-bout-it!

11. Hi-ho, hi-ho... it's up the hill we go...I hope! Hummmm something smells HOT. And why is there smoke coming from the trailer tires?

12. Finally.... MAMA-MIA

OK OK ... so I'm exaggerating A LITTLE... Fact is I do sympathize with your DH. Mostly though, DW and I found the perfect place in this glorious country of ours to resettle - and that's the primary reason for selling the rig. Once the dust settles we do plan on a small, VERY small RV of some sort for short getaways.

Best of luck to yas....

* This post was edited 07/31/12 10:01am by Here'n'There *

Here'n'There
2009 Carri-Lite 36SBQ 5th Wheel
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab Long Bed Diesel Dually
On the road with Here'n'There
Role of the C133 in Viet Nam

WandaLust2

TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/12 01:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

By the time my son was 20, between his job, friends, school and girlfriends... he had no time or interest in going anywhere with his parents. We understood that. He was making a life for himself. By the time the neighborhood boys were in their mid to late teens they had other things they'd rather do than camp or go on vacations with their parents.

As for the two girls, now both married and mothers themselves, they too had their own lives by age 20 and didn't go many places with us anymore. One daughter and granddaughter went camping ONCE with us. They're all into their own thing.

WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
Heartland 2011 NorthTrail 28BRS
1993 Ford Dutchman Class-C

pasusan

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/12 02:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

We have a 26 year old son with a job who calls us every few hours (wanting to know what we're up to) when we're out... and once a year still camps with us.

Trip Pics

"Are you sleeping.... Can you hear me?" Harry Nilsson

Susan & Ben ~
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub

Chock Full o' Nuts

GA

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 06:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WandaLust2 wrote:

Crowe wrote:

By the time my son was 20, between his job, friends, school and girlfriends... he had no time or interest in going anywhere with his parents. We understood that. He was making a life for himself. By the time the neighborhood boys were in their mid to late teens they had other things they'd rather do than camp or go on vacations with their parents.

As for the two girls, now both married and mothers themselves, they too had their own lives by age 20 and didn't go many places with us anymore. One daughter and granddaughter went camping ONCE with us. They're all into their own thing.

Same here. Our 26yr old & 19yr old love to go on vacation with us, especially if we're going someplace neat like Disney World or on a cruise. But neither of them any vacation time. DD is in college & working part-time and DS is a retail manager working 60/week. They're both trying to establish themselves and there is very little time for recreation. They will on occasion slip up to the lake for an afternoon of fun, and both come to dinner with their significant others. But it will be a long time until either one has enough time off to spend anything other than a 3-4 day weekend off. DH & I have a lot more time off, so we just enjoy going by ourselves now.

"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

DiskDoctr

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 09:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Time for a few "Camp Backyard" trips?

Setup your camper behind the house and spend a night or two in it. Easy to shake down problems, have all your tools and supplies nearby (did I forget to bring the square head bit?).

We did a few "Movie Nights" in our NTU HTT when we first got it. Wireless laptop connected to our Netflix account via our home WiFi and popcorn in the microwave, then off to our bunks

All the while looking around and talking about fixes, mods, and things we need to add to our stockpile

- JC

bmet2000

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/12 03:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put the new Barker jack (24") part before we left for the Outer Banks. It did great and really helped with hitching up. So after 8 days there the stress seems to be gone : )

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> DH wants to give up camping!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS