RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Remove bed liner?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Remove bed liner?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
d3500ram

colorado

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/12 03:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dragonfly- I would be curious to hear of your experience on that experiment. It sounds reasonable.

rottidawg

Mile High

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/12 07:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The manufacturer of my camper will not install their units into a truck with a drop in liner. From their web site:

"One piece plastic bed liners, carpet bed rugs and carpet kits must be removed prior to your installation appointment. Plastic bed liners are very slick, compressable, and might cause the camper turn buckles to unexpectingly loosen up. The one piece plastic bed liners also interfere with installation of the camper tie down system in the truck bed. Bed rugs will also get in the way of the camper tie down bolts (which is used to hold the camper onto the truck). The bed rugs or carpet kits can become saturated with rain water which can damage the bottom of the camper and the truck. Although spray-in bed liners (such as Line-X, Rhino Liner, etc.) and/or rubber bed mats are not necessary, they do help protect the truck bed long term.”Spray-On” bed liners or a simple rubber bed mat will prevent damage to the truck bed and prevent the camper from shifting in the truck bed while in motion. The “Spray-On” bedliner is the prefered choice for most all customers."

2012 Chevy 2500HD LTZ CCSB 4x4 gas
2012 Four Wheel Camper Hawk
2008 Harley Street Glide

billtex

RI

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/12 07:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Next time our camper slides off the back of our truck I am removing the drop in liner also and just keeping the rubber mat...I am really getting tired of scraping it up off the highway.
Last year on our 6k mile trip this was really starting to get old...

D-fly...what did you end up getting for a camper? We never did hear the end result of your search...

2006 Chevy D/A CC
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Joners

Idaho Falls, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/12 08:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X5. Store it in case you decide to sell the truck.

1996 Chevy K1500 4X4 Short Box, 5.7L Vortec, E rated tires, Lance Model 820 with Cabover Struts, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags, KYB MonoMax Shocks, Torklift Stable Loads, Happijac Truck Camper Tiedowns and Turnbuckles, Honda Eu2000i Inverter/Generator.

Photog101

Garden City, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/12 08:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I now wish that I had done what Dragonfly is going to do. I removed my plastic bedliner and installed Herculiner. I did use the front piece of the plastic liner for decoration that is held in by my Happijac mounts. I also kept the tail gate cover. I just wanted the Chev logo to stick out and the built in cup holders for my coffee.

I did this before I got my latest T/C and now I find that if I am off, just enough, I scrape the sides of my T/C and I have to clean that are up when I unload it.

I have talked to the DW and discussed on doing exactly what Dragonfly has suggested, if I can find a used under-rail liner.

Combat Vietnam Veteran Support our troops for serving our great country.
1997 Veri Lite RL1200 on a '02, K3500, CC, DRW, 8.1L, Allison, 4.1 gears, Bridgestone 225/70R19.5 tires.

Dragonfly

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/12 10:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have not tried my suggestion to cut out the bottom of the drop in liner leaving enough to curl under the rubber bed mat, holding it down. When I do I will take photos and report whether it worked or, I yanked the whole thing out.

As for my light camper quest, I posted in the original thread that I was called out of the country for three weeks and returned to a very big consulting contract in southern Florida where I am now. I have a cap on the truck with a fold out bed inside right now. However, when the dust settles I still plan on matching a light hardside to my "heavy duty" F-150. I will keep you posted.

DRAGONFLY - 2014, 19' Airstream Flying Cloud, towed by a Ford F-150, 4WD, extended cab, long bed, with Ecoboost engine, max payload & tow pkg, and 8200 lbs GVWR

Mogy

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/12 10:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the quick replies everyone! The verdict is in, and the bed liner has to go... unless I decide to try Dragonfly's idea. Next, I need a camper...

Brian

'08 Ford F-450 Diesel, Quad-cab, DRW, Torklift & Happi-Jack
Arctic Fox 1150

flysar

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/12 10:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What Dragonfly is proposing is along the same line as the Dualiner system; http://www.dualliner.com/quickview.php

I can't give my plastic bed liner away so I'm also thinking about cutting the bottom out of mine because I'm tired of it taking up shop or driveway space.

francheska

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/12 11:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 1/2 inch plywood over my plastic bedliner then I have my rubber mat on top of that.
Camper seems to ride perfectly well at least it works for me.

Capt. Caper

Northern N.H>

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/12 07:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought the Monsta Liner Kit for $100. It has been very tough as I haul furniture and everything else in it. I use a rubber bed mat (Panda brand)
This works for me for over 8 years now. With my Lance F350 combo I have to lay 1 1/2 in planks to get the cabover area up high enough so It won't hit the trucks cab if I go over a speed bump or pot hole.

2011 F350 Super Duty,SRW, 6.7 PowerStroke,Crew Cab,Lariet,4x4, 3.55 Locking Diff ,Short Box.Timbrens,Happy Jack's, Gator Guard bed liner, Penda bed mat.
2012 Lance 855S 9K Coleman A/C,Duel Batteries

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Remove bed liner?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS