|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Anybody have problem with throttle control F250 Diesel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/12 01:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2005 F250 with 90k miles, was towing my fifth wheel up a long hill and suddenly went into the reduced power mode. The little wrench showed up on the display. The book just said that this was in the "Throttle Control" mode. I managed to get to the top of the hill at 15 mph on the shoulder. After topping the hill my wife got out the book to see what was happening. I stopped, shut off the engine and restarted. It ran normally until I came to the next long hill where it happened again.

After making it home I went to the dealer to see what was causing this but they can't look at is for another 10 days. The truck runs fine when not towing.

Anybody had any experience with this or know what might be causing it.

2005 F250 Crew Cab LWB Power Stroke, 2007 Montana 3500RL Fifth Wheel,Honda EU3000IS, Twin Honda EU2000i's, S&W security system

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/12 02:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Electronic Throttle Control can be "re-learned" by disconnecting the batteries for about 10 minutes and re-connecting. On my 6.0 F250 I do this every once in a while "just because" it seems to reprogram all the engine functions to factory setting, including transmission shifts.

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

Road Runners

Tampa Bay, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/12 03:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find this very interesting. I just got back from a 7,800 mile trip south to north and coast to coast and back again over mountain and plain. We have 84,000 miles on our 6.0 PSD and it pulled our fiver without a hitch. We steer clear of the interstate highways and, as a result, we had some very hard mountain pulls in really hot weather and it all went off with no problems.

Three years ago I decided to intrument our 6.0 engine. I now have three gauges on the windshild piller - fuel pressure, exhaust gas temperatue and transmission temperature. I also have an Insight scan gage mounted on the dash where I can simultaneously see the engine coolant and oil temperatures displayed in bar graphs making it easy to see if the temperature spread is getting over 15°.

I knew about the problem with the oil cooler and the need to check the coolant and oil temperature differential, but I didn't know the latest computer update actually pulled back the power if this spread got over 15°.

We never had a problem with the coolant and oil temp, but we did have to shift down several times on the long pulls to keep the exhaust gas temperature within limits. We also had a couple of instances where we shifted down to keep the transmission temp from going over 180 and into the 200° range.

I think our trouble free summer trip was made possible by knowing what was going on under the hood.

'05' F-250 Power Stroke
'00' 30' Cameo Fifth Wheel

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/12 03:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are hundreds of different things that can set a code that will turn on the "check engine" wrench. Nothing would be possible other than wild guesses without reading the code or having other symptoms.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/12 02:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have up to date firmware.

You experienced a Engine Oil Temperature exceeding Engine Coolant Temperature by more than 15 degrees indication.

Nothing to do with the throttle control --- this is a new feature and not documented in your old manual.

Time to replace the plugged oil cooler, FLUSH with VC-9 and replace coolant, and I'd order up a bullet proof EGR cooler in lieu of the factory cooler.

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/12 03:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipnchar wrote:

There are hundreds of different things that can set a code that will turn on the "check engine" wrench. Nothing would be possible other than wild guesses without reading the code or having other symptoms.

The symptom set was sufficiently comprehensively described for me to conclude it is the oil cooler.

In any case, it is time to take it to a qualified dealer (the one in 4 that have a top diesel tech), and go from there.

Reading the code is by itself not sufficient to make a diagnosis.

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/12 04:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have purchased an extended warranty from FMC. I guess it's time to see what it's worth. I have read that the oil cooler can be a problem on this model truck. Guess the best thing to do is let the dealer see if there is a code to read before I try disconnection the batteries for 10 minutes.

I have a little bit of an uneasy feeling about the talent at this dealership. The service manager told me that the reason for the backup in the diesel shop is because their best guy went into business for himself. If not for the extended warranty I would have a little more flexibility.

RoyF

Fayetteville Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/12 06:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2008 F350 ( 69,000 miles) diesel went into "reduced power mode" with the wrench showing just two weeks ago. Turned out to be a bad thermostat.

Wills250psd

walnutcove NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/12 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 04 f250 psd that nearly everthing electrical was replaced before 36000 miles. It left me on the side of the road many times. Big POS!!! Almost bought a Dodge lol.

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/12 04:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mikestock wrote:

I have purchased an extended warranty from FMC. I guess it's time to see what it's worth. I have read that the oil cooler can be a problem on this model truck. Guess the best thing to do is let the dealer see if there is a code to read before I try disconnection the batteries for 10 minutes.

I have a little bit of an uneasy feeling about the talent at this dealership. The service manager told me that the reason for the backup in the diesel shop is because their best guy went into business for himself. If not for the extended warranty I would have a little more flexibility.

The rule of thumb is you have to look in 4 Ford diesel dealers to find one good diesel tech.

Take the time to find the best Ford Factory diesel tech in your area.

If they replace the oil cooler, pay out of pocket if needs be to do the EGR cooler --- use the BPD one I mentioned.

The coolant flush is a $200 job that takes 4 to 5 hours, best done with distilled water.

Insist that the Ford tech follow the 6.0 coolant flush procedure by Ford to a "T". Do not take second rate jobs.

Have to use a special boiler cooler called Ford VC-9 to clean, and if oil has leaked from cooler into cooling system, use Simple Green before the VC-9.

Thoroughly flush, do it twice if needs be, then use new Ford gold coolant.

If you are at that point, replace hoses and thermostat to prevent them from being a trouble area in future. That will not be covered by warranty, but well worth the peace of mind to have new rad hoses after your mileage.

Good luck.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Anybody have problem with throttle control F250 Diesel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS