|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Equalizing battery's

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
scooter4

Southwest Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/12 03:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can some one please give me the exact procedure how to equalize two 8D 12V house batterys. Thanks Scooter.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

marcus6701

Central PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/12 04:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some battery chargers have an equalize charge as part of the charge system. If you have a manual charger you can let it on the batteries for an extra hour after they are fully charged. This will "bake" them (equalize). It just puts in more voltage and less amps causing the battery to heat up and make it bubble. It helps to "restore" the capacity of the battery. Some of the acid gets absorbed into the lead and doesn't release when chrarging. The baking ofthe battery will help to release some of it back into the water mix.

2008 30ft Aerolite, white interior, 2003 Suburban 6.0L 3.73 gears

shawnw

Desoto, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/12 05:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know what you mean by equalize. Usually if they are 2 12V batts, you wire them parallel (Positive to positive, negative to negative). That will keep it at 12V and the amps will be added together.

RV'ing is like ice cream. You just can't get enough of it.
However, I ended up eating too much ice cream so I had to go on the Scarsdale Diet because I had a big gut. LOL

99' Holiday Rambler DP, not too big, not too small.

marcus6701

Central PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/12 09:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shawnw wrote:

Don't know what you mean by equalize. Usually if they are 2 12V batts, you wire them parallel (Positive to positive, negative to negative). That will keep it at 12V and the amps will be added together.

Equalizing the batteries is to bring all the cells inside the battery back equaly to max voltage. Typicaly there are 2.2 volts per cell. If (1) cell is a little low on water it will have a different voltage ((specific gravity) acid content). Even if water is added there will still be a slight differnce in voltage in each cell. By equalizing the batteries all the cells will be brought back up to the same voltage, thus making it more efficient. If (1) is left low it will shorten the usable time and shorten the life of the battery. Hope this helps

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/12 03:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you "don't know what you mean by equalize" you probably shouldn't answer the question.

First, are these wet cell batteries or AGM? AGM batteries normally shouldn't be equalized.
Assuming they are wet cell, you need to find the manufacturer's recommended equalization voltage. It's probably around 15v but I would check with them.
What are you charging with? An AC charger or solar? Most good solar charge controllers have an equalize setting that you can program in the appropriate voltage and length of time.
If it's an AC charger it may or may not be capable or charging to a high enough voltage.
A very rough guess without knowing what batteries you have would be to charge them to 15v for 1 to 2 hours. Then check the electrolyte; they will likely need some added.

Edouard

Hudson QC. or Lake Worth, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 07:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Following the equalization, you will need to check the electrolyte (Specific Gravity Level Tester) in each cell, and they will likely need some Distilled Water only added.

Eugene & Stella
08 Dolphin DL35C, WH-24, Allison 6 Spd.Tranny.(FOR SALE)
2013 Kia Soul 4U.Automatic, Rental Tow Dolly for now.
FMCA 318247

wilco

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 11:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scooter,

Check the manual for your inverter/charger. Mine (Xantrex) has detailed instructions on how to go a about this and the inverter has a program to handle this chore automaticly.

tfw

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Equalizing battery's
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS