|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Camping World prices

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
jonitza

nc

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 06:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WE are close to buying our first trailer so I'm always on the look out for one in our location for a decent price. We have a Camping world 20 miles from us but the prices always seem to be a lot higher then other rv lots. Do they do this for negotiation room or are they just that much more expensive. The average price for the TT we are looking at is 19-25k when i do a nation wide search. CW is always at 28k and higher. Has anyone that has puchased from them been able to negotiate the deal down that far from the asking price. The one we like they are asking 28,900, where would the members of this forum start the $$ negotiation at. Thanks for your advise.

keatonb16

New Brunswick Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 06:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

just like buying a car..prices can vary greatly from dealer to dealer simply because of options..they may look the same but one could have thousands more in options...
I would just simply ask them what their best price is straight sale..then send e-mails out to all of the dealers that sell that line and ask for a price with the same equipment...Take the lowest price you find and use that to negotiate your price...guaranteed it will be lower in the mid west simply because of shipping...if you want to drive 1000 miles you will save. Being in NC there is an amount for shipping that will be non negotiable, likely 2000 dollars..
simply put..never start the negotiations...ask them for their best price then shop them...Short drive to Indiana or Ohio where I am sure you would get your cheapest price there from the wholesalers.

2007 flagstaff 208
2010 Rav4 V6

Johnworth914

USA!

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 07:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

keatonb16 wrote:

Short drive to Indiana or Ohio where I am sure you would get your cheapest price there from the wholesalers.

And the best part, you get to make that same "short drive" anytime you need warranty work, because increasingly, dealers will not work on, or will charge upfront and let the wholesale customer try to collect, for warranty work. and whn thy do, you opften go to the bottom of the priority list. It's just good economic sense for them. They give top priority to their own customers.

As for those who say, well the RV is on the road most of the time anyway so there may not be a local dealer... many dealers will still give priority to an RV sold thru a dealership rather than a wholesaler for warranty work.

Your best bet is finding a good, local dealer and working with them. Supports your local economy, and when all is said and done, and you consider the fuel and time needed for the "short drive" you can get a better deal locally.

Alaska is next! Still trying to fit the pontoons to the RV so We can get to Hawaii!

Monaco Montclair

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/12 07:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

at thouse prices i like to make a walk away offer and if the responce is anything other than yes, i dont say a word, up and outa here not even a good by. one salesman ask where waz i headed, i said water fountain,and the door.--happy-camping

anaro

Mebane, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 08:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

which camping world are you dealing with (I know of at least 3 in NC)? We bought from the one in Colfax outside of greensboro and got a pretty good deal. Don't pay attention as much to a listed MSRP as the bottom line. I think our TT's MSRP was at least $10,000 more than we paid with taxes, tags and WDH installed and out the door. You should expect to pay 70-80% of your msrp. Happy hunting.

2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL
Reese Dual Cam

2 nights camped in 2014!
21 nights camped in 2013!
21 nights camped in 2012!
27 nights camped in 2011!

kbc

alwaysthere

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 08:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we bought our TT I shopped similar models, got quotes from rv wholesaler, and then emailed the nearest dealer with our desired model and asked what kind of price they could give me on the unit we were interested in and the price I was wanting them to get near. The MSRP was $35k and the dealer came in around $20k -- we took it. We did have to drive four hours up to NC but we are very happy with the dealership up there as opposed to any of the local dealers that did not impress us much when we'd visited to look at other units. I don't know that I'd buy from a Camping World. Lately all their prices seem higher than they should be and we've been buying things elsewhere.

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/12 08:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Because CW is a National Chain, and I'm guessing that each dealership is a Franchise, that has to pay a certain amount for the name and such, they hare going to have more overhead prices than the local Mom & Pop dealership. Those expenses will usually be passed along to the customers.

But, like any business, if they don't sell something, they don't make any money, and I was always told that "some" profit is better than "no profit".....so I'd go make them a fair offer....take it or leave.

Good luck

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

Ozlander

Rose Hill, Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 08:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Johnworth914 wrote:

And the best part, you get to make that same "short drive" anytime you need warranty work,

And get overcharged again.

Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/12 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jonitza wrote:

WE are close to buying our first trailer so I'm always on the look out for one in our location for a decent price. We have a Camping world 20 miles from us but the prices always seem to be a lot higher then other rv lots. Do they do this for negotiation room or are they just that much more expensive. The average price for the TT we are looking at is 19-25k when i do a nation wide search. CW is always at 28k and higher. Has anyone that has puchased from them been able to negotiate the deal down that far from the asking price. The one we like they are asking 28,900, where would the members of this forum start the $$ negotiation at. Thanks for your advise.

Figure out what you can get it for at an out of state, "wholesale dealer", or what ever.

Then go to the local guy. If the local guy can get close, even if he's somewhat over, you might be better off getting local. Warranty service will be better if you go back to where you bought it, and if you buy local, you'll be treated better.

However, if the difference is thousands of dollars, you almost have to go out of state.

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Badger Dog plus "Ollie"
"The Traveling Koala"
2012 Koala 21CS
2005 F150 Supercab 4x4, w/ 5.4L
And Equal-i-zer WDH/Sway Control

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/12 08:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ozlander wrote:

Johnworth914 wrote:

And the best part, you get to make that same "short drive" anytime you need warranty work,

And get overcharged again.

You don't pay for warranty work, do you. So no biggie, I'd say.

When the unit is out of warranty, which is mainly just the trailer box itself, is is either for 1 or 2 years, then just take it to an independent RV repair place.

Heck, for most of the components, such as fridge, etc. you should be able to take your RV to any authorized repair facility for the component that's broken.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Camping World prices
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS