RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Camping World prices

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

 > Camping World prices

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
keatonb16

New Brunswick Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/28/2012

View Profile



Posted: 07/29/12 09:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Atlee wrote:

Ozlander wrote:

Johnworth914 wrote:

And the best part, you get to make that same "short drive" anytime you need warranty work,


And get overcharged again.


You don't pay for warranty work, do you. So no biggie, I'd say.

When the unit is out of warranty, which is mainly just the trailer box itself, is is either for 1 or 2 years, then just take it to an independent RV repair place.

Heck, for most of the components, such as fridge, etc. you should be able to take your RV to any authorized repair facility for the component that's broken.


agreed one hundred percent.... the idea not to drive 1000 miles to save 3000 dollars on a new TT because of repairs you may or may not need that will come no wheres near 3000 unless it was your A/c unit or fridge which are covered by seperate manufacture warranties..I dunno...if i get that unlucky that my roof starts delaminating and falling off which is unlikely to ever happen while the unit is under warranty...I will either wait the time at a non dealer or drive it back...Money is Money..local economy be damned.


2007 flagstaff 208
2010 Rav4 V6

keatonb16

New Brunswick Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/28/2012

View Profile



Posted: 07/29/12 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Johnworth914 wrote:

keatonb16 wrote:

Short drive to Indiana or Ohio where I am sure you would get your cheapest price there from the wholesalers.


And the best part, you get to make that same "short drive" anytime you need warranty work, because increasingly, dealers will not work on, or will charge upfront and let the wholesale customer try to collect, for warranty work. and whn thy do, you opften go to the bottom of the priority list. It's just good economic sense for them. They give top priority to their own customers.

As for those who say, well the RV is on the road most of the time anyway so there may not be a local dealer... many dealers will still give priority to an RV sold thru a dealership rather than a wholesaler for warranty work.

Your best bet is finding a good, local dealer and working with them. Supports your local economy, and when all is said and done, and you consider the fuel and time needed for the "short drive" you can get a better deal locally.



your best bet is to save thousands when you can....the idea that an authorized repair dealership that I didnt buy from doesnt want to fix my unit is crazy....money to them..what are they out?...manufacture pays them to fix my problems...will they push out one of their customers to fix mine...no...wouldnt expect it...but they would never be that busy that they couldn't do it say in a couple of weeks...and if they are that busy I guess that does not say much about the product they sell. as someone said...generally a major breakdown will always happen on the road so you generally would never be at your selling dealer anyways.

wittmeba

Virginia

Senior Member

Joined: 02/02/2001

View Profile



Posted: 07/29/12 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree - CW is usually/almost always higher than all others. But they have a lot of inventory of everything needed for camping.

About warranty work. Sometimes you can contact the mfg and ask them if they will honor warranty service thru this other dealer. Get it in writing if you are successful.

If there is another dealer in your area ask them if they would consider warranty or non-warranty service on the rig you want and be open with them you are not buying from them. Most need the service business too.


NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefox® 33

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013


HappyTrails2U2

Tennessee is home but being held hostage in GA.

Senior Member

Joined: 11/11/2009

View Profile



Posted: 07/29/12 12:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Johnworth914 wrote:

Your best bet is finding a good, local dealer and working with them. Supports your local economy, and when all is said and done, and you consider the fuel and time needed for the "short drive" you can get a better deal locally.


What you have posted is not true. If I had purchased locally both dealers closest to me have went belly up before the warranty even ran out on my travel trailer. There's lots of RV repair shops around that don't even sell trailers that don't care where you bought your trailer at. Also I've moved 2 times since I bought my trailer and I live no where near where I used to live and if what you say was true I'd be out of luck. People with RV's travel and that old BS about dealers not working on anything but what they sell is just not true.


2010 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8315BSS
2003 Chevy Silverado 1/2 Ton Extended Cab


Johnworth914

USA!

Senior Member

Joined: 04/27/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/29/12 12:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Atlee wrote:



You don't pay for warranty work, do you. So no biggie, I'd say.

.


Actually that is not always the case. If you buy from a local dealer, that dealer is REQUIRED to do the warranty work, at no cost to you.

Unlike automotive, however, other dealers of the same mfg. are NOT required to do warranty work. It is up to them.

If you buy from a real dealer, and find yourself out of your home area, most dealers will work with you and honor the warranty. HOWEVER increasingly, for RVs they did not sell themselves, dealers are checking the VIN to see where the unit was purchased. If it is from a Wholesaler, they are increasingly--and quite rightly-- requiring YOU to pay for the service up front and then do all the necessary work with the manufacturer yourself to be reimbursed--including shipping the bad parts back.

Most people don't know that dealers do not make money on warranty service. The reimbursement rate from the manufacturers is usually far below the dealer's shop rates. Plus the dealership has the added expense of employing (and paying) a warranty administrator to handle the claims.

Why should they absorb this cost for someone who drove 1000 miles to save a few grand.

Most dealers however, will come close to the same pricing as the wholesaler-- when you factor in the cost of the drive there and back.


Alaska is next! Still trying to fit the pontoons to the RV so We can get to Hawaii!


Johnworth914

USA!

Senior Member

Joined: 04/27/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/29/12 12:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HappyTrails2U2 wrote:

Johnworth914 wrote:

Your best bet is finding a good, local dealer and working with them. Supports your local economy, and when all is said and done, and you consider the fuel and time needed for the "short drive" you can get a better deal locally.


What you have posted is not true. If I had purchased locally both dealers closest to me have went belly up before the warranty even ran out on my travel trailer. There's lots of RV repair shops around that don't even sell trailers that don't care where you bought your trailer at. Also I've moved 2 times since I bought my trailer and I live no where near where I used to live and if what you say was true I'd be out of luck. People with RV's travel and that old BS about dealers not working on anything but what they sell is just not true.


That is the exception, and in fact is a symptom. Yes, local dealers are going out of business in places, often because people would rather drive 1000 miles to save a few bucks, and then expect the local guy to do all the work. THAT is the reason dealers are beginning to refuse warranty work for Wholesale units--unless it is paid up front at full shop rates-- because a number of dealers went broke servicing wholesale units under the mistaken thought that it was good customer service.

It's only good customer service when there is a good customer to begin with.

keatonb16

New Brunswick Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/28/2012

View Profile



Posted: 07/29/12 12:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Johnworth914 wrote:

Atlee wrote:



You don't pay for warranty work, do you. So no biggie, I'd say.

.


Actually that is not always the case. If you buy from a local dealer, that dealer is REQUIRED to do the warranty work, at no cost to you.

Unlike automotive, however, other dealers of the same mfg. are NOT required to do warranty work. It is up to them.

If you buy from a real dealer, and find yourself out of your home area, most dealers will work with you and honor the warranty. HOWEVER increasingly, for RVs they did not sell themselves, dealers are checking the VIN to see where the unit was purchased. If it is from a Wholesaler, they are increasingly--and quite rightly-- requiring YOU to pay for the service up front and then do all the necessary work with the manufacturer yourself to be reimbursed--including shipping the bad parts back.

Most people don't know that dealers do not make money on warranty service. The reimbursement rate from the manufacturers is usually far below the dealer's shop rates. Plus the dealership has the added expense of employing (and paying) a warranty administrator to handle the claims.

Why should they absorb this cost for someone who drove 1000 miles to save a few grand.

Most dealers however, will come close to the same pricing as the wholesaler-- when you factor in the cost of the drive there and back.



I do not agree that dealers are losing money on doing warranty repairs....unless you have exact proof...like worked there personally not from hearsay I think you should re-think your comment....they could possibly go bankrupt if they were forced to work on their own customers warranty issues when they are losing money...what if every unit they sold needed 4000 in warranty work..unlikely I agree but if the dealer was losing money they would quickly go broke...I am sure they do quite well from the manufactures..

keatonb16

New Brunswick Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/28/2012

View Profile



Posted: 07/29/12 12:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Johnworth914 wrote:

HappyTrails2U2 wrote:

Johnworth914 wrote:

Your best bet is finding a good, local dealer and working with them. Supports your local economy, and when all is said and done, and you consider the fuel and time needed for the "short drive" you can get a better deal locally.


What you have posted is not true. If I had purchased locally both dealers closest to me have went belly up before the warranty even ran out on my travel trailer. There's lots of RV repair shops around that don't even sell trailers that don't care where you bought your trailer at. Also I've moved 2 times since I bought my trailer and I live no where near where I used to live and if what you say was true I'd be out of luck. People with RV's travel and that old BS about dealers not working on anything but what they sell is just not true.


That is the exception, and in fact is a symptom. Yes, local dealers are going out of business in places, often because people would rather drive 1000 miles to save a few bucks, and then expect the local guy to do all the work. THAT is the reason dealers are beginning to refuse warranty work for Wholesale units--unless it is paid up front at full shop rates-- because a number of dealers went broke servicing wholesale units under the mistaken thought that it was good customer service.

It's only good customer service when there is a good customer to begin with.



lmao.....to save a few bucks?....well congratulations on being in the situation you are in..obviously your bank account is never in jeopardy of being at 0... because the fact you will save over 3000 is not a few bucks to the majority.

I live in NB and would gladly pay the 2400 in freight to buy one locally...2013 rockwood roo 17...14100 wholesaler..plus 2400 freight=
16500....I will buy one tomorrow but they still want 19000 here...the wholesalers have the same business model as they do here...parts sales and service so with freight being the biggest cost why are they still trying to make such a huge profit?
If wholesalers can sell them cheap and still do all the warranty work as well why cant all dealers and just add the freight difference...I wish rv's were priced like autos...would be a lot easier..no matter if you pick a new vehicle up from the dealer beside the factory you pay the same freight as if it was shipped across the country...

kalynzoo

Los Angeles , California

Senior Member

Joined: 12/30/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/29/12 01:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've always believed when you purchase a car you should not "fall in love" with the vehicle being offered. Not so with an RV. It must have exactly the floor plan you want, the right refrigerator, a kitchen that works for the family, a bathroom you can sit and turn around in, lights were you want lights, and a comfortable bed that doesn't require custom made sheets.
Thus; when you find what you want you begin to wheel and deal with the salesman. I have spoken with far too many salespeople at RV shows who have never "personally" spent a weekend in an RV. I've have salespeople who were car salesmen, furnature salesmen, even a young aerospace engineer fresh out of college who was still looking for work in the industry.
Guess what I'm getting at is if CampingWorld has the rig that you and yours want, that's a good place to start negotiation. If not, then look someplace else.
JMHO
Happy Trails.

cekkk

Colorado

Senior Member

Joined: 06/22/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/29/12 02:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope the OP found his trailer of choice after looking at different brands, not just what the local CW carried. CW is expensive around here, but they don't carry more than a few brands. So CW's prices are only important IF they have your trailer of choice. There is a CW 50 miles from us, as close as any other dealer, but they didn't have what we eventually found we wanted.

As it happens we did drive 997 miles to save $3000. We couldn't reach a deal where we saw it, so we shopped price. Got it 997 miles away. But we weren't buying a dealership, we were buying a 2nd home. We bought the one rig out of dozens we looked at that the DW really liked. That was very important to me as she does a lot of the getting-ready-to-go and getting-back-home parts of camping. If her happy, me happy.

And besides, our "local" dealers were, 1, small and a bit rude 110 miles away, or, 2, huge (a CW) and even more expensive 130 miles away. So warranty work was going to be a hassle no matter. And I wasn't looking forward to needing it anyway. Tried to buy a product with a good reputation. DW's choice was secondary to that. Besides, for 3 grand I can deal with a little hassle.


'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."


This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

 > Camping World prices
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS