|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Hot water- pilot off- New Owner Needs help

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
kwbusby

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 08:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3rd day owner- Using the RV in the driveway to work out the bugs. The pilot light is not turning on. I have a switch above the oven that I push and it "supposed to" turn on the pilot (or does it do it automatically?). Hot water is cold. I have it hooked up to the house but don't think it is working.

I'm guessing it might be the gas as the oven/stove isn't working either. I checked the valve on the LP and it is open. Tank is half full. I haven't really looked at anything with the stove yet- just heard DW say "Stove isn't working"-"Can't get it to turn on".

Please use dummy explanations for me as I'm taking lots in and trying to get lots of stuff done and starting to get overwhelmed.

2003 Rexhall American Clipper 315
Ford V10
Toad 2008 Toyota Matrix manual on a dolly
1 Wife
2 Kids
1 Boston Terrier
1 Boxer

ole trucker

Florida.

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have gas in the tank, and the electric cutoff valve is on, turn on the stove to purge the air out of the lines(normal after it has been off for a while) till you smell gas, or hold a lighter to the burner till it ignites. There should be air coming thru the line if the shutoff valve is on. The igniter for the WH will go into lockout mode after it tries 2-3 times and will reset after a few minutes. Hope yhis helps!

kwbusby

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What and where is the electric cut off valve???

tropical_ron

Rhode Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/12 08:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The stove is a good place to start:
1. When you turn on the gas, do you smell gas or hear a hissing sound like something is coming through the line? If yes to smell, I would try to ignite using a match or butane lighter and let stove burner run and this will purge the line especially if the gas has not been used for any length of time.
2. If no smell or hissing - tank may still be off or empty even though gauge reads half full. Turn tank valve off ( Righty tighty) and then back on fully ( lefty loosey) and repeat step 1.
Hope this helps,
ron

2007 National Tropical T370 LX CAT-350
2010 Honda CRV awd
Blue Ox Baseplate
SMI aux. brake

ole trucker

Florida.

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 08:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The valve should be around thee location of the fill for the propane tank. It is a switch that cuts off the propane when not using or when you fill the tank.

kwbusby

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 08:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No hissing or gas smell. How long should I smell gas once I turn on the valve and turn on the stove burner? How long should i leave it open before trying again?

Fred Flair

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 08:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had the same water heater problem on my 2005 Fleetword Flair after it was winterized. Problem was water heater bypass valve set to bypass heater for the winter. Set valve for normal operation water got hot.

kwbusby

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 08:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked near the fill valve and see NOTHING for any other type of valve. I do see what looks like a release valve (like on an air compressor) but that is all. Are we talking a knob style valve like the propane tank or a gas ball type valve where there will be a lever that turns in line with a hose?

past-MIdirector

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 09:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the coach near the floor is an 12 volt LP detector. Make sure it is on most have a green or flashing green light when on. Most detectors are near the middle of the coach just look around below the cupboards. Some times you have to turn them on and off to reset.

kwbusby

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 09:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YEEE HAAAAAWWWWWW!!!!!! There is a little sensor in my RV in the kitchen near the floor that is a gas sensor- it was off. I turned it on Propane is now on and the stove worked! Not sure about the water heater yet but guessing it is too.

I'll let you all know how the water heater goes!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Hot water- pilot off- New Owner Needs help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS