RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Stamp collecting, is anyone into it?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Stamp collecting, is anyone into it?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
lwmuddy

So.carolina

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 08:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have inherited a big box of old stamps and a large stamp book collection. Some stamps dating back to the late 1800's and early 1900's, both U.S and those from other countries..

I have never gone through them, but now I have to time.
I'm ordering a USB Microscope, so I can examine them and also make a photograph record of them.
If anyone here is a collector I'd be interested on any recommended companies who might be interested in buying any valuable stamps, if I find that I have any.

Lady Fitzgerald

Tempe, AZ, USA, Earth

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 02:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 85 Forever stamps. Does that count?

All seriousness aside, let us know what kind of USB microscope you get and how it works out.

Jeannie

Mr. Camper

ARKUSA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/12 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a large stamp collection. Collecting in this peel and stick world is not the same as it once was but it doesn't diminish what I already have. In fact before standardized testing become the normal, I used to teach many lessons in school with stamps and the kids always left the class at the end of the year with a good used/mint collection. Some have kept it up over the years but it's become an uncommon hobby. As to finding a company go to linns.com and you should find lots of companies/collectors that you can contact.

lwmuddy

So.carolina

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 04:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:

I have 85 Forever stamps. Does that count?

All seriousness aside, let us know what kind of USB microscope you get and how it works out.

THIS is the one I have my eye on.
The price is reasonable for what I need and Celestron has a good name, though experts use stereo microscopes at many hundreds to thousands of dollars.
I'll also be using this to closely examine the ultra tiny pins on a computer processor chip which I bent up through stupidity.

I try to advise here of how it goes. Thanks.

mhampton

Indianapolis

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 01:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is a neat looking little gizmo. I may have to put one of those on my "wish list." I have an interest in philately, mostly in researching the history any given stamp is commemorating.

Mike Hampton
Still campin' after all these years!

lwmuddy

So.carolina

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 03:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am also thinking of other uses for this "Gadget" to make the expenditure more worth while. You can also call this a web cam with a close up lens and therefore use it to examine areas of your body that you don't ordinarily see.
The top of your head.
Your back.
If you are using a laptop then you can take it anywhere in the house or outside to examine leaves, bugs, dirt etc.

With a little creative thinking you can come up with all sorts of uses.
Like up your nose or between your toes.
Since the software allows you to either take a snap shop or a video the possibilities are endless. Don't you just love Guy Toys?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Stamp collecting, is anyone into it?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS