|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> New Ford E450 V10 chassis question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
blhar

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 09:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone have a Class C with a 2012 or 2013 Ford E450 V10 chassis? Just wondering how the performance is for trailering with this and if there is any engine programming options for this 6.8L EFI V10 engine?

Thanks

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The V10 is a fine performer within its limits (22,000 pound combined).

But yes, "5-Star Tuning" will create 3 custom tunes for you, which you upload into the PCM with a programer. Also, Banks makes a really nice exhaust (PowerPack), and AFE makes a nice intake setup.

Bryan

2000 Ford E350 DRW Wagon, V10 - 385,000 miles
2014 CreekSide 31KQBS (QuadSlide bunkhouse)

Off Pavement

The Silver State - Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 08:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To learn why most folks run the lower grade of fuels, Google "octane + altitude"

The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian & Margie
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

philhoey

Central MD

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just got back from helping my oldest son move from Baltimore to Seattle. We rented a Penske 16', towing a auto hauler with his s-10 pickup loaded. The truck was over 1/2 full so with the auto hauler we were hauling a bit of weight. The Penske 16' has the v10 and it performed in an outstanding manner. While no diesel, we never got below 45/50 mph pulling any of the passes over the Eastern mountains or the high passes on I90. We did run 89 octane gas in the Western passes - much better performance. Too bad the V10 is no longer available on the F350.
A note of shock. Wymoning and other states in that area have******for gas. Their regular is 85 octane which will damange a lote of newer engines. Mid grade is 87 and then it jumps to 91. Just be careful when you grab the handle in those states.

Phillip, Janet, and the Mutt
2003 Silverado 1500HD 4.10 rear
32' Coachman 5th wheel

jeffcarp

Des Moines, IA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/12 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a link to 5StarTuning. They are very, very well respected online. I am personally waiting until the factory warranty expires on my coach, but plan to install their tune when that happens.

Link to 5StarTuning

2011 Born Free 22' Class C Rear Side Kitchen

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 08:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have heard great things about Five Star Tuning on the F-150 forums. As far as I know, they can give you a choice of ECM/TCM "tunes", but even their most conservative will help with responsiveness and add a few horses.

Just make sure to use the proper gas, since some of the more aggressive tunes will require higher grade octane.

cm

Dillon, CO USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 09:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"A note of shock. Wymoning and other states in that area have******for gas. Their regular is 85 octane which will damange a lote of newer engines. Mid grade is 87 and then it jumps to 91. Just be careful when you grab the handle in those states."

You might want to do some research on why these states have 85 octane. It is because of the higher altitude. As far as damage to engines I had two vehicles last to 200,000 miles. Two others have over 180,000 miles on them. All I have used is 85 octane. You might want to check the source of your information that 85 octane gas is bad.

Also you might want to learn how to spell Wyoming.

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 09:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If emissions compliance is a concern for somebody (remember, its easy to go back to stock), then DiabloSport may be a better option. That's what I run. Tuning isn't quite tailored for RV use, but it still adds good power, and it is CARB-approved (which means it is also EPA compliant.)

I have only run into one minor dealer issue, where they decided to upload a factory reflash, but I still had the predator tune loaded since I wasn't planning on having a programming done. Their machine picked up on the modified program and wouldn't allow the update, so I had to restore it to stock and come back in the next day,

jeffcarp

Des Moines, IA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/12 09:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to a nation with a lawsuit trigger finger. The warranty issue is exactly why I said that I am waiting until the factory warranty is up.

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 09:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jeffcarp wrote:

Here is a link to 5StarTuning. They are very, very well respected online. I am personally waiting until the factory warranty expires on my coach, but plan to install their tune when that happens.

Link to 5StarTuning

Quote:

The Sale of Performance Products & Services

5 Star Tuning LLC assumes no liability for damages to persons or property as a result of the use, abuse, or installation of 5 Star Tuning products and services on any vehicle. These products services are designed and intended for use on off road applications and is to be done at the risk of the vehicle owner.

They sure are acknowledged to be illegal to install on any on-road vehicle, and furthermore, they automatically void the vehicle warranty if an issue comes up.

And Five star takes no responsibility for anything.

Enjoy!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> New Ford E450 V10 chassis question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS