|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Triple Towing

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Wheels64

Cheyenne, Wy

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 05:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 27.5 ft Keystone Outback TT and want to put a hitch on the back to pull a couple of ATVs. The tongue weight of the ATV trailer is about 450 Lbs and a total weight of 2500 Lbs. My concern is the heavy tongue weight taking too much weight off the TT tongue weight. The mfg spec for tongue weight on the TT is 640 Lbs. I use an equalizer hitch and have had no problems with sway even with a heavy cross wind. Any advice or solutions on hwo to make this work?

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I did not know that it was legal to tow a conventional trailer behind a conventional trailer, even with a current medical certificate and commercial truck drivers license. I know that it is legal to tow a smaller trailer behind a fifth wheel, or even a car behind a fifth wheel, providing that all axles have working brakes on them.

And not to many travel trailer hitches are rated at 15,000 combined weight, like you might have between both trailers.

I don't know about your state's double towing laws, but I am pretty sure that it is not legal set up here in California.

Yes high hitch load that is well behind the travel trailer's axles will cause the trailer to have loss of stability, you really only need about 250 pounds of hitch weight with a 2,500 pound cargo trailer.

Fred.

dupreet

High Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 06:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Double bumper-pulls are allowed in some states.

I would be concerned about four things -

- the unloading of your TT's tongue weight is legitimate.

- the ability for you TT's frame to handle both the tongue and overall weight of the ATV trailer

- the need to have trailer brakes on the ATV and their syncronization with your truck and TT

- your truck's hitch rating for a 15K load

Good Luck!

Todd

Todd

1993 Ford E-350 pushed by a 1988 Wilderness 24' TT

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 06:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my state it is fine to double pull ball to ball doubles. The limiting factor is length. Keep it under 65 ft total. I have thought about it for my golf cart before we bought the dually. No need to now.

Tent: Ozark Trails Cabin Tent (circa 1993)
Pack Mule: 2013 Kia Sorento

"It's Kind of Fun To Do The Impossible"
~Walt Disney~

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I doubt your state allows tripple towing (three trailers).

My state allows double towing ball to ball BUT the tow vehicle has to be a 3/4 ton or larger.

I would check with your states size and weights folks and make sure you make it clear that you want to tow doubles (two trailers).

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 06:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WY allows that combination. So does most of the surrounding states.

I don't think 250 pound on the 2nd trailer's tongue is the end of the world. Just pack the TT to compensate if needed. Make sure the TT has a full frame-mounted receiver. DO NOT use one that bolts around the bumper. It will not hold up. (But since your posted the hitch rating I'm guessing you must have the factory-intalled receiver?)

Bryan

2000 Ford E350 DRW Wagon (14-pass all captains chairs)
V10 - 375,000 miles

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 06:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, obviously, check with your state, actually keep asking as it's likely the first person you reach will not know. I know Montana allows this, as I recall Colorado and Idaho do not.
Second, check with your rig builder and see if this towing is not recommended, many (many) builders don't. Mostly builders that use Lippert frames (which I think yours uses Lippert frames)
Third, you should be able to compute the weight the ATV trailer takes off the TT hitch, it's a fairly simple lever-arm computation (450 x the number of feet the hitch is behind the axles, then divide this number by the number of feet the TT hitch is in front of the axles). I would not be surprised if this number was larger then would be safe.

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Idaho is the only state I know of out west that allows triples and as stated there is a max length. if you find that your states allows triples then be sure you get under the TT and go to the frame to weld on a hitch receiver. trial and error is an expensive way of determining if you can do it or not.

DrBaker

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 07:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is legal and common in my state.

I would pay close attention to proper weights as I loaded it up. Also make sure the TT frame is up to the task.

2011 Chevy 2500HD CC/SB 4x4 Victory Red
2003 Crossroads Cruiser CF27RL
Champion Screamer, Reese 16k, and a Blue Status Symbol

safn1949

Mankato,MN

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 07:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Illegal in Minnesota unless the first trailer is a 5vr.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Triple Towing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS