RV.Net Open Roads Forum: dog rules in rv parks - how strict?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> dog rules in rv parks - how strict?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
Sponsored By:
TaterSr

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/12 08:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just bought our 1st brand new RV. Will be traveling with 2 toy dogs & bark collars. Hope
to go on first trip next month - Oregon. Today we took them on a day trip & things went well. I'm a little worried about all the rules I read about. I'm wondering about how strict the parks really are on not letting you walk your dog(s) to the bathroom area? You really have to carry them? And you really can't leave them in the RV if you want to go to a restaurant? We will put bark collars on them & made sure they aren't being a nuisance to those around us. I guess I'm just afraid of being kicked out & having noplace to go. Has this ever happened to any of you? We feel they will just sleep inside with the a/c on. They're getting older - 8 & 11.
I know the rules are so people don't leave dog poop all over & howling dogs tied to their units but we will be very cautious & neighborly. I have a stroller for them but they really don't like it. Jumped out on first use & broke the zipper! thanks.

jrtgirls

Garner, NC USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 08:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never stayed in a park where you had to carry your dogs to the dog walk area. Always pick up after them -- never leave them alone outside -- you can leave them in your RV when you go off. keep them leashed and you should not have any problems.

Happy Trails!!
jrtgirls

Joy

Henderson KY 42420

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 09:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And I would not put bark collars on them. Toy dogs are just too small - their systems will not handle the shock. Just pull down all the shades, leave the TV or a radio on for white noise, and then ask the neighbors to please pay attention and let you know whether they bark. You can check if they bark when you leave - just drive away, park somewhere close by and walk to the rig from behind. Stand there for a while to see if they are quiet. Ask the neighbor when you return. Most park rules are common sense as you have noted. Read the rules they give you at the registration desk and ask if you need clarification before you check in. Until last October, I had 4 dogs for the previous 3-4 yrs and never had any problems with any cg. Have 3 dogs now.

See ya' down the road!

Don-SCPO USN Ret.Corpsman
Joy-Ret.Off.Mgr.
Maggie-Chihuahua
Chrissie-Chihuahua
Lucy-Jack/Rat
'06 42' Allegro Bus DP
'06 Saturn Vue

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT HOW TO SURVIVE THE STORM BUT HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 09:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV Parks are privately owned operations so there really is no standard for how they enforce their own rules. It's been my finding that it's every possible level and has NO bearing on the quality of the park. Some seem to be looking for some reason to get on their guests and others may have lots of strict rules but as long as your infraction doesn't involve weapons of mass destruction, they leave you alone. My ADVICE is obey the rules and you won't have to worry about it and your neighbors will probably appreciate it.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

brirene

midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/12 09:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As long as you are a responsible pet owner and your dogs are under control and not a nuisance, you'll have no problem. Clean up after them, don't leave them unattended outside, and make sure they're not barking incessantly inside while you're gone. Happy trails!

Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion,Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 02:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We travel with a dog everywhere.

Lots of rules about dogs (pets)....clean up after them, leash them, don't leave unattended, no barking, no aggressive breeds, no dogs over 40# etc. Most places have the same basic rules.......some places have 'special' conditions/rules.

How strict........hummmmmmmm
Not enforced enough/consistently at lots of places.

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

Go Dogs

South of Pittsburgh, PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 05:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a little confused about your question. Are you asking about taking your dogs off leash to the human or dog rest areas? No, you do not have to carry your dogs but they MUST be on leash. Be aware that there may be other dogs that are on those looong extended leashes and could get close to your dogs. You may want to carry them if they are small/aggressive.

Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 06:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed in one RV park that had the rule that dogs must ONLY be walked on your own site or at the dog walk area, and that they should be carried or driven there. It was a very swanky Class A only "resort." I was not at all comfortable there for many reasons. DH loved it, but he's much more impressed by aesthetics than I am.

But my point is that while those types of parks do exist, there seem to be (thankfully) very few of them. In general I think you'll find that most campgrounds/RV parks run the gamut from pet tolerant to very pet friendly. And usually it's pretty easy to tell where they are on the spectrum just by looking at their websites.

You'll notice that many (most?) campground websites state that pets must not be left unattended. Usually that means outside. If you have any doubt about it, my advice is to call ahead and ask for clarification. I always do, and have never once been told that we couldn't leave our well-behaved dogs alone in the RV. When planning a trip to Cape Cod we did encounter one campground's website that specifically said dogs could not be left unattended even in the RV, so we of course gave our business to a more pet-friendly campground.

Me and the DH
Two boys and two dogs (and two cats who prefer to stay home)
2008 Forest River Georgetown 350DS (bunkhouse model)
2001 Honda CR-V

raindove

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 06:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some parks even provide the poop bags - some do not. I have a holder,that contains a roll of bags, hooked on to each leash, so we always have a bag handy... for our use, or for someone who might have run out and needs one. I'm always happy to share.

* This post was edited 07/30/12 04:29pm by raindove *

Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

remoandiris

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 06:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never heard of, nor seen, any rules stating dogs must be carried to the dog exercise area. Someone is pulling your leg. No one will carry a 100 lb dog thru a CG.

Make sure you have bags with you on the walk to the dog exercise area. Your dog may not make it that far. Mine don't always make it, but I always have bags to pick it up.

2011 GMC 3500 Dually
New to me 2006 Jayco Designer 38RDQS
2 Boxers and a Maine Coon

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> dog rules in rv parks - how strict?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts