RV.Net Open Roads Forum: dog rules in rv parks - how strict?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> dog rules in rv parks - how strict?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Deb and Ed M

SW MI, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 07:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed at one park that asked that you keep the dog(s) on the paved road on your way to the dog-walk area; and that seems reasonable. "Carrying or driving" would have had us driving to another campground, since my boys are tidy and prefer to not potty next to the motorhome....LOL!

Regarding leaving them inside, while you visit a restaurant, for example? Tired dogs are good dogs; and the e-collars tend to make them remember their "good dog manners". Nobody will complain if there's no noise coming from your RV. I think most dog rules are put out there, so that the campground has an excuse to ask an offender to leave. If nobody is complaining about you, because your dogs are quiet and you "leave no trace" - then you and your pets should be welcome anywhere!

I've also found, that most campground owners will direct you to a place where you can run your dogs offleash, if you ask. Many times, we've been directed to an open area on the RV Park property where a quick game of fetch can be played - just to burn off some steam after a long day on the road. Of course, you'd better have a perfect recall on your dogs.....LOL!!

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 03:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CARRY YOUR DOGS????

Been RVing all over with German Shepherds. Can't even imagine carrying one, let alone two. Must be a real wacky place that told you that one.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

raindove

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 04:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we first got our RV, we were checking things out while in the car on a trip to DE. We stopped at one campground - the person manning the booth at the entrance was one of the rudest ppl I've ever run into, at a business. We were told that you can NOT leave your dogs in your rig, even to go out for dinner. You will be kicked out.

We were at a CG in NJ. We were told that per NJ law, a warden could confiscate dogs left unattended inside a MH. I don't know how true that was, but I was afraid to go anywhere - even to the CG pool and let the dogs inside.

We never leave them for very long, but I don't go camping to be a captive at the campsite all weekend.

We've camped in MD, MA, PA, and FL and never had a problem with leaving the dogs inside the MH. They bark when they hear us coming in, but they are not problematic barkers. We close the curtains, set the thermostat, leave the tv on, and crate them. That way they can't get up to the windows to look out and the tv helps to mask outside noises.

I think basic common sense applies -- as long as they aren't barking, they are leashed, and you clean up after them, you shouldn't have any problems.

Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

aeohio

New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did stay at one cg in colorado that did not allow you to leave your dog unattended in your rig at their cg. The did have a place where they would watch your dog for a fee for the day while you were out. I have not been back to that cg.

At most CG if you keep your dog on a leash and clean up after it you will have no problems esp if your dog does not bark while you are gone. If your dog does bark some might be bothered by it, others will not care but I would ask a neighbor if your dog barks while you are gone its just good to know. My DW runs with our lab in the mornings when we are camping so he sleeps most of the day in our TT.

2010 Passport UL 290BH
2006 Ford Expedition Limited

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please do not let your dog do their business in your site. Unless you have title to the land, it is yours only for a few nights. The next visitor could very easily have a two year old crawling though the grass and making a two year old's decision to chew on a chocolate covered blade of grass. Dogs should relieve themselves only in designated dog areas if at all possible.

TaterSr

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 08:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks folks. Absolutely they would always be on leash outside. And being toys, I always have a baggie on hand but have used a leaf if I left in a hurry. Glad one person did see that there are places that say dogs can't be walked to pet area. I have been reading campground reviews in AZ & have seen those comments plus the 'never leave pet IN motorhome unattended' rules. Unfortunately, poodles & chi's can be yippers & I was forced to buy bark collars. They rarely have them on & one zap, they're quiet. We'll try walking outside quietly to see how they react but may have to use the collars here & there. When I ordered them, it said they were safe to use & they are a model for their weights. Believe me I am totally against cruelty to animals but without them, we can't have a guest over. They bark out of control incessantly. We tried tossing them treats the whole time to keep quiet & they threw up.

We'll just be good animal stewards & hope the Pet Police won't come after us! WIll have to get plexiglas for the screen door. They will shred the screen door up first outing if I leave them in while I made trips in & out with food etc to eat outdoors. Got the gravity lounges ready.

Go Dogs

South of Pittsburgh, PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/12 05:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sure it's a moot point by now, but if you think about it. If the dog is doing something that you don't want it to and you throw treats at him. Isn't that rewarding the bad behavior?

raindove

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/12 06:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TaterSr wrote:

Thanks folks. Absolutely they would always be on leash outside. And being toys, I always have a baggie on hand but have used a leaf if I left in a hurry. Glad one person did see that there are places that say dogs can't be walked to pet area. I have been reading campground reviews in AZ & have seen those comments plus the 'never leave pet IN motorhome unattended' rules. Unfortunately, poodles & chi's can be yippers & I was forced to buy bark collars. They rarely have them on & one zap, they're quiet. We'll try walking outside quietly to see how they react but may have to use the collars here & there. When I ordered them, it said they were safe to use & they are a model for their weights. Believe me I am totally against cruelty to animals but without them, we can't have a guest over. They bark out of control incessantly. We tried tossing them treats the whole time to keep quiet & they threw up.

We'll just be good animal stewards & hope the Pet Police won't come after us! WIll have to get plexiglas for the screen door. They will shred the screen door up first outing if I leave them in while I made trips in & out with food etc to eat outdoors. Got the gravity lounges ready.

You can use a baby gate to keep them in the kitchen area, away from the door while you are in and out. One of my biggest concerns when we started camping was if they would try to dart out the door.

You might want to try a Thundershirt and see if it helps with the barking. If you buy them at Petsmart, you can take them back if they don't work. They don't work on all dogs, but it worked great for mine.

Go Dogs

South of Pittsburgh, PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/12 06:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okay. I am NOT suggesting that I have all the answers BUT... Instead of manipulating the environment, shocking the dog, performing rituals,etc. Wouldn't it be easier to train the dog? I just know lots of folks that have dogs that make their lives very difficult.
If you cannot drive a car, should you be behind the wheel-in traffic? If you cannot train a dog, should you own one?

Deb and Ed M

SW MI, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/12 09:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go Dogs wrote:

Okay. I am NOT suggesting that I have all the answers BUT... Instead of manipulating the environment, shocking the dog, performing rituals,etc. Wouldn't it be easier to train the dog?

It seems to depend on how smart the dog is ;-)

My Cattle Dog Jack doesn't bark much to start with - and a simple "quiet" shuts him up. So I'd consider him "trained".

However, if I'm taking the grandkids out on the pontoon boat and leave the dogs in the house - I can guarantee that once I leave the dock - I will hear him barking hysterically. And he DOESN'T shut up. He's really peeved that he's not on the boat. It gets even better when Jimmy starts howling because Jack is hurting his ears...LOL!

If I go back to the house to deal with him, he gets exactly what he wants: me not leaving in the boat. And of course, *if* I turn back, he immediately shuts up because he KNOWS he's not supposed to bark. So there's no upside to going back to deal with the dog. THAT is where a no-bark collar is invaluable - it extends my ability to deliver corrections even when I'm a mile out on the lake ;-) And like most people who use them, once the dog knows what the collar can do - you don't even have to turn it on.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> dog rules in rv parks - how strict?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS