RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Getting more out of your phone(cell or land)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Getting more out of your phone(cell or land)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
TGarrett

TN/SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/12 10:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have a land line and probably never will again. Many of us have switched to cell phones but have issues with signals. I have solved my dilemma and thought I would share. I live in a valley with no AT&T signal(unless you are in very specific spots not touching the phone). I bought a prepaid verizon and that is spotty at best. However, that is not how I solved the problem.

I bought a bluetooth phone. Now most of you probably think of those annoying headsets when I say this but that is not what I am talking about.

I have this instead

It works great in my RV, I have one up near the copilots chair, one on my table and one in the bedroom. They even work when going down the road and someone calls it will announce who it is if they are saved in your contact list(which you can transfer from your phone). The reason this fixes my problem is when I am at home my cell phones get left plugged in, in a signal friendly area. Then I can answer the phone wherever I am at in the RV. The bonus is for those who still use land lines it will allow you to use the landline as well as 2 cell phones(on my system). The downside is you can only answer one line at a time. so if you are on a landline call no cells, if on a cell then only that cell. The other cell will still ring(i think) on its own. If I am working or sitting outside since they are cordless, I take the wireless that way if it gets wet or anything my cell phone which is more expensive isn't damaged.

It also has nice features of auto-mute so if you sleep at certain times of day it won't ring and wake you up, or in my case an infant sleeping.

At my stick built home I installed this for limited signal there to and it has been spotty at best so I think my stick home has to much interference, but the RV is crystal clear and haven't had an issue with it.

Garrett
2004 Fleetwood Expedition 38N
Full Timer

Toad(still to be setup) 2011 Jeep Rubicon
2nd (to be put on double trailer with 1st when moving) 2008 Honda S2000

TGarrett

TN/SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/12 10:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

as a note that is not the model I have but is the same thing. I just googled for an image.

wcjeep

Tacoma, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 10:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you considered a cell booster to increase your good areas? It would eliminate most of your dead spots. I have three boosters. Highly recommend them.

Wilson Sleek

TGarrett

TN/SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/12 10:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wcjeep wrote:

Have you considered a cell booster to increase your good areas? It would eliminate most of your dead spots. I have three boosters. Highly recommend them.

Wilson Sleek

No need at this point but I did consider them, however for walking around the RV my phone kept going dead. This way I plug it in at the door and it stays there. I have read a lot of mixed reviews on the boosters but the cordless phones are just nice to be able to answer your cell from anywhere in the RV or outside while it is still charging.

billyboy

md

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 04:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

this is pretty much the same thing we have. when we leave the house and take our cell with us, it disconnects from the house cordless and reconnects to the cordless in the mh. i also have a wilson amp in the house and the wilson sleek in the mh. the only thing is the panasonic in the mh has to be on 110ac ,so i don't have the benefit of the corless while on the highway

08 33 windsport 22k towing 06 saturn ion

haydoracin

north central, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 04:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billyboy, get a small inverter to keep the Panasonic on 110.

Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

TGarrett

TN/SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billyboy wrote:

this is pretty much the same thing we have. when we leave the house and take our cell with us, it disconnects from the house cordless and reconnects to the cordless in the mh. i also have a wilson amp in the house and the wilson sleek in the mh. the only thing is the panasonic in the mh has to be on 110ac ,so i don't have the benefit of the corless while on the highway

Yeah I'm not sure why mine was still working on the road, I just know when my wife called it started ringing. I guess my 100 stays on through the inverter. I haven't gotten that far into it yet.

YC 1

Yuba City Calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 09:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love the idea and combined with the Sleek home kit it will solve a lot of issues for my business partner. I used the sleek for the first time this weekend and it really performed well. I have a DBM readout on my phone so can measure the increase in signal. I have dealt with many many cell phone boosters and in building amps but this little thing is the best I have found without spending grand or more. I have a rooftop antenna on mine versus the little mag mount antenna it comes with but testing that gave excellent results as well. The neat thing with the blue tooth idea is you can set one up outside and if involved with an event anyone can have access to a telephone. That is a cool idea.

H/R Endeavor 2008
2013 Ford Edge toad
Full Timers

wcjeep

Tacoma, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 09:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a more powerful system vs the Sleek. The Sleek is the only one I recommend. Very user friendly and universal. I just received my first 4g sleek. On average expect an 18db improvement. This usually means 2bar improvement. Not all phones measure signal bar strength the same. I've had internet access where others had no phone service using the Sleek. Some phones need to be mounted upside down due to their antenna design. New smartphones are no problem.

TGarrett

TN/SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/12 10:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My post was not to promote cell boosters but to maybe give people another idea of what to do with their phone system that can in some cases help with cell signal. A lot of people don't know these landline/bluetooth systems exist.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Getting more out of your phone(cell or land)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS