|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> help--i have a minivan-wht can i tow

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
M GO BLUE

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 12:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

keatonb16 wrote:

anyway..to the original poster....buy a 17' hybrid with confidence and just look at the placard in the trailer. most 17's that I have seen are on the lot at 3160lbs and that is with lpg full which you can always remove one anyway to save some weight and all options included...put your groceries in and some pot and pans bedding a few lawn chairs..use the water at the campground it is under stricter guidelines than bottled anyway, take enough clothes for the week and put a equalizer wd system on and have a blast...you are very capable to tow safely in the eyes of the manufacture

If you are going to buy a new RV and then start removing things because you are worried about the weight then your bigger worry is purchasing an adequate tow vehicle...

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel
Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

keatonb16

New Brunswick Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

M GO BLUE wrote:

keatonb16 wrote:

anyway..to the original poster....buy a 17' hybrid with confidence and just look at the placard in the trailer. most 17's that I have seen are on the lot at 3160lbs and that is with lpg full which you can always remove one anyway to save some weight and all options included...put your groceries in and some pot and pans bedding a few lawn chairs..use the water at the campground it is under stricter guidelines than bottled anyway, take enough clothes for the week and put a equalizer wd system on and have a blast...you are very capable to tow safely in the eyes of the manufacture

If you are going to buy a new RV and then start removing things because you are worried about the weight then your bigger worry is purchasing an adequate tow vehicle...

everyone should remove the extra propane tank...seriously pal...you really think you would ever need 2?...Might as well bring some concrete blocks with you as well right?...dont need them but oh well

2007 flagstaff 208
2010 Rav4 V6

dieharder

Ottawa, ON

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 12:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

keatonb16 wrote:

Jayco-noslide wrote:

I would not go over the vehicle's rated capacity; in fact, would prefer to stay only at 80%-90% of capacity.This allows that you may add more weight than you really think. Front wheel drive isn't suited real well to towing as the extra weight is not on the drive wheels which lessens traction. Also, not just the power you have to consider but braking capacity, etc.

that is the reason weight distribution is used...lol...seriously people

Please do not forget...todays V6 engines have more power and tourque than most trucks did 20 years ago..and you never questioned them hauling trailers that were made of solid steel and not aluminum...the notion that a front wheel drive is not suitable for towing is only opinion and unless you can link an article it will remain as a silly comment.

Engine power is actually one of the last things you need to consider. The primary concerns should be whether the tranny will last and how much weight the braking system can handle. Hell, you could harness yourself to the tow bar of a trailer and give it a pull and get it going, so it's not like it takes a lot of power, but you need to get that thing stopped when you need to. I would doubt that pulling a TT was a consideration when developing the minivan, hense the relatively low tow weight rating.

In addition, regardless of weight distribution in the TT, that tow bar at the front of the TT is going to weigh something - it's not going to be an easy task lifting it up if you need to, even if it's evenly distributed and level. That something is going to be added to the back of the minivan and, thus, will move some of the weight off the front, where the drive wheels are. Not like you can go into the engine compartment and add weight if you need to. Articles shouldn't be needed since this is pretty much common sense.

While the van may be able to handle the weight indicated on the sticker, front wheel drive vehicles just weren't made for towing - they were made for fuel economy and the transmissions and gears installed on these vehicles reflect that.

1999 Itasca Sunrise

blangen

South Dakota... and everywhere.

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 01:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

keatonb16 wrote:

blangen wrote:

keatonb16 wrote:

blangen wrote:

and how many miles have you put on your Rav4 V6?

and why use 80 percent

0. Wouldn't own one but will defend your right to so long as you stay off my bumper with maxed out weights. It looks like, on the Internet, your roo is 3841 GVWR and your Rav4 is rated to tow 3500... IF you have the tow package. Without the tow package, it's 2000 lbs. Frankly, I wouldn't be comfortable towing with a vehicle when the mere addition of a tow package can increase the rating by 75%. Even if the above numbers are wrong and you are a pound under your tow rating, I'm going to do my best to stay out from in front of you.

Why do I use the 80% rule? My opinion... and I'm not alone.

bakerkids

IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 01:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can tow a Little Guyteardrop trailer. You an attach a Paha Que room to the side and have plenty of space. You can also tow my trailer, a T@B. T@B has 5 different models, and one has a toilet. We can sleep 5 with our add-a-room. You could look into a canned ham vintage such as many members of Sisters on the Fly

Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
4 K9s
Our photos

blangen

South Dakota... and everywhere.

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 01:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

keatonb16 wrote:

M GO BLUE wrote:

keatonb16 wrote:

everyone should remove the extra propane tank...seriously pal...you really think you would ever need 2?...Might as well bring some concrete blocks with you as well right?...dont need them but oh well

Just so the OP can continue to get some benefit out of this...

The two tanks are there, connected to a switchable regulator, so that, when one is empty, you can go out, turn the switch and you're good to go again. Then, in the morning, go fill the empty and put it back. This way, you won't run out of propane in the middle of the night and have to listen to "Dad, we're COLD".

jdscala

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 01:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If one propane tank makes or breaks your set up... that should tell you that something is wrong.

In order to properly match a trailer to a vehicle, you need to watch out for other factors than just the "tow rating". You also need to watch your GCVWR (gross combined vehicle weight rating). Which is the total your van, trailer, passengers and contents can weigh. Then you need to watch your van's GVWR, which is the most your van can weigh including passengers, fuel and your trailer's tongue weight. Then finally you need to watch your axle ratings. Also, don't forget to add the weight of your WD hitch to these ratings (it will add another 80-100 lbs).

If you can manage to stay within these ratings, you should have a pretty good set up.

If I towed with a minivan (or anything with a 3500 lb tow rating for that matter). I would seriously look at these: Scamp, Lightweight (roughly 1800 lbs) and the shape offers less wind resistance than a conventional TT or hybrid.

2009 Max Sport 23bh
2005 Silverado 2500hd Duramax/Allison

keatonb16

New Brunswick Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 01:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blangen wrote:

keatonb16 wrote:

blangen wrote:

keatonb16 wrote:

blangen wrote:

and how many miles have you put on your Rav4 V6?

and why use 80 percent

0. Wouldn't own one but will defend your right to so long as you stay off my bumper with maxed out weights. It looks like, on the Internet, your roo is 3841 GVWR and your Rav4 is rated to tow 3500... IF you have the tow package. Without the tow package, it's 2000 lbs. Frankly, I wouldn't be comfortable towing with a vehicle when the mere addition of a tow package can increase the rating by 75%. Even if the above numbers are wrong and you are a pound under your tow rating, I'm going to do my best to stay out from in front of you.

Why do I use the 80% rule? My opinion... and I'm not alone.

but you are assuming I will be at 3841...AND I WONT..I cant come anywheres near 700lbs in gear in the trailer...but that is what you are assuming for some reason...placard weight 3160 all options and lpg full

and FYI in Canada ALL rav4 V6 models have the tow pkg...only in the US..again likely because of the american mentality to strike it rich thru a lawsuit....and keep in mind your opinion is not the opinion of the manufacturers who have the engineers and legal team to allow them to say it can do it...case closed...no need to reply

keatonb16

New Brunswick Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 01:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blangen wrote:

keatonb16 wrote:

M GO BLUE wrote:

keatonb16 wrote:

Just so the OP can continue to get some benefit out of this...

The two tanks are there, connected to a switchable regulator, so that, when one is empty, you can go out, turn the switch and you're good to go again. Then, in the morning, go fill the empty and put it back. This way, you won't run out of propane in the middle of the night and have to listen to "Dad, we're COLD".

first rule of thumb..check propane levels before you go..no way you run out in 3 weeks

* This post was edited 07/30/12 02:02pm by an administrator/moderator *

LLeopold

Camarillo, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 02:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let's not flame, people. This is Beginning RVing. Newcomers start here. Let's treat each other as if we were in adjacent sites or sitting around a campfire talking to the "newbie."

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> help--i have a minivan-wht can i tow
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS