|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> extended warranty for travel trailer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
mdmichel

spring hill,fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 07:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just bought a new tavel trailer and they are offering us a six year extended warranty for 1800 dollars.that comes out to $300 a year.I think that is a good deal to not have any worries about paying for repairs for 7 years as it comes with a 1 year warranty,12 years on the roof.Especially since everything is electric.Awning,jacks,ect.
Any thoughts or comments appreciated.I just figure it would give us piece of mind.A lot can go wrong in seven years.It covers everything except for parts that normally wear out like brakes,tires,etc.

tomman

out and about....

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 07:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought the extended warranty with mine too. The piece of mind is well worth it.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 07:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my opinion, you are much better off putting that $1800 into the bank or a money market account and use it when needed. Most people here (not all) that have had extended warranties on their RV's never use them and those that do often find that the small print or "exceptions" don't cover them when the time comes to use it.
Just look at the "Letters to the Editor" or "RV Action Line" in any of the RV magazines to see what I mean.

There have been many posts on the forums about the lack of coverage with these policies. They are a cash cow for the dealers. Here are 1218 posts in just the past year about this subject.
Search results on extended warranty.

Hope this helps you a bit with your decision.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty, 7.3L PSD
Visit our website here

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 08:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't buy the, "piece of mind," argument, or the, "I won't have to worry about repairs," rational.

What more than often happens that you do have to worry about are the, "not covered," clause and the, "claim denied," response and all the fine print and almost impossible stipulations and requirements that are common in these insurance policies.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

SJR

Philadelphia, PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 08:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Barney, put the money is the bank and use it for any repairs you might have.

Stephan
2010 Dodge 2500 Crew Cab
2003 Northstar TC800EC
2003 Jayco Kiwi 21C
Equalizer Hitch

mdmichel

spring hill,fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 08:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That my freind is why I plan on reading the small print before i make my decison on getting the EW or not.

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 08:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This decision is very easy for me because I do not do extended warranties on any product any time. While you could come out "ahead" on 1 or 2 items, over a lifetime, you will be way better off financially to pass on warranties and put that money into some kind of interest paying account. To come out ahead, that means you would have to have a lot of costly expense with the item. Why buy something that you are gambling that to be the case. Perhaps they will give you "peace of mind". But what is that, really; just not having to come up with money for a repair? If I can't afford the repair, then I can't afford the item.

Jayco-noslide

batman99

at seasonal site

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If one doesn't like to fix things themselves, then extended warranty might be worth it. It's like my one buddy in GTA. He cannot do his own landscaping around his house because he cannot get his hands dirty.

If one likes to "dig in" (sort of speaking) and fix things themselves (and always make better than factory), then extended warranties are NOT worth it. On my 2006 Jayco, I've made the door seal better, its windows seals better, its fridge rear panel cooling better, its pex piping with shut-off valves better, its slide out roof protection better, its electrical with Surge Protection better, its AC airflow better, its bathroom fan better, its underbelly insulation better, its electrical wiring for its electric brake better, etc. etc. Fixes and/or upgrades much better than factory build. And, things much better than minimum code warranty "fixes" as well.

Besides making "better than factory", remember that warranty only fixes the problem (for example, a leaky window rubber seal) to factory specs. Nothing more. Warranty will NOT fix the damage done from that leaky window. For example, replace wall sheeting, replace floor sheeting, etc. They only fix the 25 cent rubber seal around the window. They don't fix the $1,000 mess created by the leak. And when they do fix the leaky window, they replace with the same 25 cent rubber seal (as per factory build). They won't fix the proper way - the old school way…

For my many trailers, I don't waste my dollars on extended warranties. For my buddy in GTA, he loves extended warranties. Then again, he loves calling very expensive electrician to change a simple light bulb in a high ceiling as well.

Hope this helps in your research….

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 09:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mdmichel wrote:

We just bought a new tavel trailer and they are offering us a six year extended warranty for 1800 dollars.that comes out to $300 a year.I think that is a good deal to not have any worries about paying for repairs for 7 years as it comes with a 1 year warranty,12 years on the roof.Especially since everything is electric.Awning,jacks,ect.
Any thoughts or comments appreciated.I just figure it would give us piece of mind.A lot can go wrong in seven years.It covers everything except for parts that normally wear out like brakes,tires,etc.

I'd suggest you read the fine print on that "12 year roof warranty" It usually only covers the fabric which is a small part of the cost..Then it's pro-rated also. Then when you're done reading that..read the fine print on what that $1800.00 extended warranty doesn't cover. You may want to get a refund if you still can..

B.O.

2011 Big Country 3250TS...2010 Ram CC Laramie 4wd Cummins

JRS & B

Florida/Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B.O. Plenty was right on regarding the 12 year roof warranty. The fabric itself has to fail. There is no warranty on how it was installed, after the first year.

The other thing to consider is that problems are just as likely, if not more likely to occur while you are on the road. How do repairs get made in that situation? How do you get reimbursed? Who determines that what you paid was reasonable and reimbursable?

It kind of reminds me of when I bought new tires for my truck. They wanted to sell me the extra coverage that gives me a new tire "for free" if I have a problem and the tire cannot be repaired for any reason. But it is only good if I can get the tire to one of their stores. If I have a problem in Florida instead of Michigan, I am SOL.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> extended warranty for travel trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS