|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> two grey tanks and I hate it

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
ssgwsmith

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 12:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we have a Outback 312bh and has two grey tanks with the front drain seperate from the back. currently have to run to hoses and connect with a y-connector then into the sewer.. Pain in the butt... Looking for some ideas on how to run a more permenant setup from the front to the rear..PVC pipe or something... tks

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 12:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find it VERY handy to separate the "nasty" galley water from the clean shower water when camping in national forests. I'd never dump garbage water on the ground but when it's nothing but shower water there is nothing but benefit from dumping it. You are right though about camping with a sewer connection. On those RARE occasions when we do that I just leave the galley water valve closed and dump it before we leave rather than as it is accumulated.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

ssgwsmith

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 12:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

would love to leave it closed but DW uses the sink alot...pain in the butt to also crawl under to open valve...argh

dlturner00

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 03:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had the same problem with our old camper, same unit as skipnchar. I wound up buying the Y fitting and hooking up 2 hoses but it is still a pain to crawl under the slide and dump the rear tank. They do make extension kits for the handle to make it reachable.

2004 F350 CC 4WD DRW Powerstroke
B&W Companion Hitch
Prodigy Controller
2013 Cedar Creek Silverback 35QB4

TGarrett

TN/SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 03:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would worry about connecting them permanantly. Some of these thoughts are based on if you permanantly crossconnect the tanks. If you were boondocking for a few days and the tanks were at say 3/4, then you hit an uphill climb you would send a water slug into the back tank that would overfill and possibly damage it depending on the design of your crossconnect. Plus you open yourself up to an extra path to be clogged. Even if you install valves in the crossconnected portion it would only take once to forget to close and then your in trouble. Also if they were connected it could affect your weight distribution if the water could flow back and forth.

Just a few things to think about.

Garrett
2004 Fleetwood Expedition 38N
Full Timer

Toad(still to be setup) 2011 Jeep Rubicon
2nd (to be put on double trailer with 1st when moving) 2008 Honda S2000

cjoseph

WV

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 03:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wish I had a photo of my setup. It works well, but I do have to watch what goes down the drain --no chunks please.

one of these

and one of these

Sorry for the links to commercial sites. It's the best I could do with dinner on the stove and no pics in my library.

Chuck, Heidi, Jessica & Nicholas
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA

michael8rc

Here

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 06:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It may sound dumb but I use one of those things that people use to pick up items off the floor or off a tall shelf to open and shut my drain valves which are under the trailer slides. I used to crawl under the slides to operate the drain valves but no more!!

1998 Dodge Club Cab 4x4
2010 Wildwood 292FKDS

MandKFarmer

Glen Allen, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have enough drop from the rear tank to the dump valve to run a 1 1/2 pipe from the back tank to the 3" pipe at the dump valve? and miss the axle movement?
Ours has a rear galley tank that has a seperate valve.. then the 1 1/2 pipe runs from the tank to a couple feet in front of the front tire.. there is a "y" with one being 3" the other being the 1 1/2... this goes to the back of the dump valve....
Hope all of this makes sense... end result is I have 3 tanks.. with one dump valve/connection

Mark

11 Chevy 2500HD CC Duramax/Allison 4X4 Z71
07 Mountaineer 307RKD

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> two grey tanks and I hate it
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS