|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Smokin Dodge Diesels

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/12 10:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

rhagfo wrote:

I'm Rick James wrote:

rhagfo wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Quote:

I know someone has the pic of the stock connecting rods of the Cummins, Ford and GM, that says a lot.

Yes and the Cummins is a 6 cylinder and the others are V8's. So that little 6 has to put all the power through 6 rods instead of spread out over 8. Why

Now do you get why the Cummins has bigger rods?

Have any idea why the rods on a jag V12 are on the small side?

Also 1/3 less moving parts, and much easier to work on.

How many moving parts does a 6.7 Cummins have compared to a new Powerstroke or Duramax?

Should still be about 1/3 less 6cylinders compared to 8!

Not trying to be too picky here but 8 down to 6 is 25 percent less. I have also heard the i/3 less moving parts. I will have to look that up.

Some has to do with the design of the engine and accessories. I know om my 5.9 the P/S pump is driven by the Vacuum pump which is gear driven, just like the injection pump. Belt driven items are only AC, Alternator, fan and water pump.

I think if you were to check most over the road truck are 6 cylinders, more torque! Torque moves the load, HP makes it go fast, stock 235 HP, 460 ft. lbs. of torque, all torque is available at 1,600 rpm through the rest of the rpm to red line.
I was a Ford man until it came to a diesel, wanted a Cummins came in a Dodge,now I like the Dodge.

PS: I can get rebuild reseal kits for the Vacuum Pump, Power Steering Pump, starter and alternator, most for less than $60. that really cuts down on maintenance cost.

* This post was edited 08/02/12 10:54pm by rhagfo *

Russ & Paula
The Beagles Hedwig and Precious.
Portland, OR.
2001 Dodge 2500 4X4, 5.9 Cummins 5 speed, 3.55 gears, Pacbrake PRXB, DS Power Puck,Bilstien 5100's, 273,000 miles.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/12 03:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over the years that I've been a member of this forum, I've noticed a "trend"....Now I was a Chevy Guy during that time frame from 05 through the middle of 2010. So it was "pro Chevy" all the way, and I'm still a Chevy guy just because I grew up with them and owned a pile of them since the late 60'....

Seems that the Chevy guys and Ford guys can beat their chest all day...nothing wrong with that mind you.....and if a Dodge guy shows up on the thread and has the audacity to talk about Dodge, he's laughed to humiliation.....IF a Dodge thread fires up, its inevitable that Ford and GM/Chevy guys will show up, some being nice, but quite a few piling on the poor, lowly Dodge truck owner crowd..Why is that? Now don't get me wrong, Chevy/GM guys can after the Ford guys and vice/versa, BUT, for some reason, when the thread is about Dodge, like this one, it's negative and most time is spent, by the Dodge guy's, defending their Dodge trucks...Noticed this years ago...

Chevy/GM guys can beat their chest and be proud of their trucks, same goes for Ford, but let a Dodge guy come in and defend his truck and "it's on"...seems Chevy and Ford guys go out of their way to gang up on the lowly Dodge truck owners..

Don't get me wrong, no big deal to me...I don't bash others brands, ie, Dodge, Ford, Chevy, two of those I've owned and Chevy, well, I'm also a Chevy guy....just find it curious when I've seen just as many Ford and Chevy/ GM diesels "smokin" just as much as Dodge trucks, so I guess where ever the OP is, must be more Dodge truck owners than Ford or Chevy owners because everywhere else I've been, it has to be a toss up...just as many running tunes on Ford's and Chevy's as their are Dodges, which equals........"smokin"

just an observation, not worth a pennies more thought, just find it curious and felt compelled to say something seeing as how it is, I think a thread talking about how bad Dodges "blow smoke" compared to ford or Chevy, at least in the OP's eyes any way...

Jim & Kathy
2013 Dodge 3500DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin tranny/4:10/Cummins: 385HP/850TQ
06 HR Presidential Suite 37RLQ/SK3005 Satellite/Splendide XC2100/4slide/dual pane windows
2014 Jeep Compass Ltd 4X4
Boxers;Buddy& Sheba II
USAF 71-75 Nam Vet

transamz9

Lawrenceburg Ky

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/12 07:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen women driving big 4X4's around here that have 2 Pink high hill shoes hanging from their receivers. I love a woman driving a truck!

2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET/2008 Nitro Z9 Mecury 250 PRO XS

transamz9

Lawrenceburg Ky

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/12 04:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of us just have fun with it,at least I do anyway. I have 2 Ram/Cummins , that's just what I like. Others like the others and there is nothing wrong with them. It's just chest bumping. Yes there are some that take it to heart but for the most , it's all in fun.

Engineer9860

Eagle Scout dad

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/12 05:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I seen an 18 wheeler run over a little kitten the other day. Poor thing.......

Lucky for the kitty there was a guy close by with his Cummins. When this guy heard all of the cries of the children present he rushed over, and used that Cummins to bring that kitty back to better than new.

I couldn't even imagine what we would have done without those two....... It's like that Cummins, and the guy with the Cummins t-shirt was some sort of super hero combination. The 10" exhaust, and bull balls under the back bumper of the Cummins truck only added to the mystique.

Sadly, all who witnessed this scene of wonder were too awestruck to even think to get the guy's name. Somebody said they thought that there was a sign on the back window that read "Teabagger".

Thank You! Mr Cummins guy, and have a glass of iced tea on me!

In Memoriam: Liberty Belle

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/12 06:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Around here, it seems that very few Dodge trucks have the bull scrotum hanging under the back bumper. It seems to be mostly Fords that have them. (IMO, they are gross and disgusting, no matter what truck they are under!)
The best I saw was a truck (make unknown, didn't notice) with what must have been 1 1/2 inch hex nuts (two of them) hanging on baling wire under the receiver. I couldn't see if they were coarse or fine thread.
THAT was simply hilarious!

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

phenrichs

Watertown, SD

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/12 08:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowermech wrote:

I can't speak for other areas of the country, but around here the "smokers" are usually the ones who have 6 inch (or larger) stacks sticking up through the bed of the truck, and the engine controls are obviously messed with, possibly because the drivers are 18-wheeler wannabes who want to look like they are driving a 13 speed 12V71 Detroit diesel.
They also usually have a sticker somewhere on the truck (often the back window), advertising a well-known local diesel performance shop.
They are just silly little boys.
Some of them drive Fords!

THANKS! I just about spit coffee on my monitor when I read this. I had to double check your location because for a second I thought you might live here.

2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

JPhelps

SE of Monkeys Eyebrow & Possum Trot

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/12 03:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Somebody said they thought that there was a sign on the back window that read "Teabagger".

No, it wouldn't have been a bagger. It had to be partier,,,,,,,,,,, 'tea partier'.
Tea "baggers" drive Fords, not Dodges. The Dodge drivers are partiers. The resident forum "bagger" drives a 6.0 and has a penchant for using bagger type innuendos like "cross dresser" etc in his long boring post's.

srt20

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/12 10:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My truck smoked today.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/12 11:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NC Hauler wrote:

Over the years that I've been a member of this forum, I've noticed a "trend"....Now I was a Chevy Guy during that time frame from 05 through the middle of 2010. So it was "pro Chevy" all the way, and I'm still a Chevy guy just because I grew up with them and owned a pile of them since the late 60'....

Seems that the Chevy guys and Ford guys can beat their chest all day...nothing wrong with that mind you.....and if a Dodge guy shows up on the thread and has the audacity to talk about Dodge, he's laughed to humiliation.....IF a Dodge thread fires up, its inevitable that Ford and GM/Chevy guys will show up, some being nice, but quite a few piling on the poor, lowly Dodge truck owner crowd..Why is that? Now don't get me wrong, Chevy/GM guys can after the Ford guys and vice/versa, BUT, for some reason, when the thread is about Dodge, like this one, it's negative and most time is spent, by the Dodge guy's, defending their Dodge trucks...Noticed this years ago...

Chevy/GM guys can beat their chest and be proud of their trucks, same goes for Ford, but let a Dodge guy come in and defend his truck and "it's on"...seems Chevy and Ford guys go out of their way to gang up on the lowly Dodge truck owners..

Don't get me wrong, no big deal to me...I don't bash others brands, ie, Dodge, Ford, Chevy, two of those I've owned and Chevy, well, I'm also a Chevy guy....just find it curious when I've seen just as many Ford and Chevy/ GM diesels "smokin" just as much as Dodge trucks, so I guess where ever the OP is, must be more Dodge truck owners than Ford or Chevy owners because everywhere else I've been, it has to be a toss up...just as many running tunes on Ford's and Chevy's as their are Dodges, which equals........"smokin"

just an observation, not worth a pennies more thought, just find it curious and felt compelled to say something seeing as how it is, I think a thread talking about how bad Dodges "blow smoke" compared to ford or Chevy, at least in the OP's eyes any way...

Spot on!

2011 Ram Laramie Longhorn 3500 Dually Long Bed, Cummins 350/800 HO, Towin Machine
B&W Companion Hitch, Maghytec Trans and Rear Dif Covers, AMZ/OIL Top To Bottom
2007 1/2 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 27,000# Combined

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Smokin Dodge Diesels
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: