|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> quality of toyhaulers

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
dhaldiman

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/12 06:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My husband and I are looking to purchase a toy hauler and are interested in reviews and ratings, similar to how Consumer Reports rates and reviews vehicles. Could anyone offer me some advice on how to know if I am buying a quality or shoddy product in camper lines? Thanks so much.

happytrader59

league city Tx

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/12 08:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When toyhaulers were first introduced,they were slapped together to fill a fad that had just started, very few were of any quality beyond weekend trips.

I have no idea what the construction is now. I do know that NEWMAR built one of quality. But alas Newmar has decided this year to drop their towable line and concentrate only on their motorized fleet. Maybe there is a left over one out there.

There is a paid service like consumer reports for the RV line it is called consumer rv http://rv.org/

2008 Monaco Camelot 43', 2007 Jeep Wrangler

fly-boy

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/12 03:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you need to be more specific in terms of what you mean by quality. Enough quality to last five years of periodic use? Enough quality to last 5 years of full timing. A four season unit. Price range...

IMO- none of the volume units available at any price range are "high quality"- I think they are all about the same (very average) just with different colors, sizes and options.

Very average may be just what you need- anything more would be a waste of $$$. On the other hand, if you have the time, need, and $$$- custom high end units are certainly available.

2012 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax 4x4
2009 WW HKD with a big garage
A few toys

nvreloader

Western Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/12 01:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take a good look at the Northwoods Desert Fox series, I know they are kinda hard to find on the right side of the USA, but worth the effort.
They are a tough well built, but heavy TH and have the best backing support from the factory, if needed.
They build their OWN FRAMES, you WON'T have a problem with them.

Drop in and cuise around and ask questions on the Northwoods RV Owners Assocation at www.nash.com.
Tia,
Don

2010 F-350,6.4PSD, 6spd man trans,CC,SWB,SRW, Caravan camper shell,50 gal bed tank,17,000lb Husky WD hitch,Northwoods 2008 28KS Desert Fox Toy Hauler,2005 Honda 500 Rubicon ATV w/rumble seat,1 Aussie waiting,watching and ridin shotgun on the whole outfit.

jack0351

Santee, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/12 01:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have bought 2 toyhaulers in the last couple of years. Both were built acceptably, the only issue was that they are definatly not designed to withstand an accident. (more details available if wanted)

My 2012 Dutchmen Voltage is EXCELLENT. Minor issues, like in any RV, but nothing structurally wrong with it.

Basically, remember it is a trailer, designed for on road use, so there will be some flex, and accomodations to allow it to be moved. In general, you should feel like it is pretty solid, and not feel "spongy". Or at least not more than any other RV.

That's my opinion, YMMV.

Oh, and if it matters, I full time in mine, so it gets used a little more than most.

2013 Ram 3500 CCLB DRW 6.7 w/Aisin
2012 Dutchmen Voltage V3600 Toyhauler
2000 Harley FXST

francheska

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/12 12:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a Heartland 36' with a 10 ft garage. We traveled over 4000 miles on a East West move living in the
unit . We found the workmanship excellent and everything worked from day one and we never had a problem. We only sold it to down size as our needs changed. We would look at them again if we needed
that type of RV. Good luck check them out.

jeffws

Ladera Ranch CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/12 03:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fly-boy wrote:

IMO- none of the volume units available at any price range are "high quality"- I think they are all about the same (very average) just with different colors, sizes and options.

Yup

00 FLHR
03 XR 50
05 CRF 70
03 XR 80
05 CRF 230F

06 Yamaha Rhino
06 KTM 525 EXC

05 F-250 CC,4X4,6.0 PSD
06 Gearbox 295FS
05 Carson 7x10

fly-boy

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 03:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doughboy12 wrote:

fly-boy wrote:

I think you need to be more specific in terms of what you mean by quality. Enough quality to last five years of periodic use? Enough quality to last 5 years of full timing. A four season unit. Price range...

Very average may be just what you need- anything more would be a waste of $$$. On the other hand, if you have the time, need, and $$$- custom high end units are certainly available.

A truer response I have yet to see...Nice post fly-boy!

Thank you!

dvg84x

Sparks, NV

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/12 02:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are now using our 4th Toy-hauler (all 5th wheels), a 2006/07 Raptor 3814. Started with an Alfa Toyhouse with the "Gold Package", then a semi-custom built '93 Weekend Warrior followed by a 2000 Tahoe TranSport.

All have been "adequate", with no major issues (siding de-lamination, frame problems, roof or electrical), but I wouldn't call any of them "High quality". Some newer ones are certainly getting more deluxe as the industy (and customers) mature, but the nature of the toys (Off-road vehicles) mean you'll take them to "rustic" locations, so they will need to be able to stand the conditions and abuse.

When we bought the Raptor, it represented the most "bang for the buck" - we looked at $90k Escalades, too, and they didn't represent 100% more cost to us.

A reputable, stable dealer is probably the best reason for buying one over another...

Doughboy12

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 12:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fly-boy wrote:

A truer response I have yet to see...Nice post fly-boy!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> quality of toyhaulers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS