|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Cleaning the black water tank

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
bleleux

Lake Charles, LA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/12 01:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could someone recommend a cleaning agent that is safe to put in the black water tank to let soak for a while. I have a sprayer that I use to clean the tank but would like to fill the tank and let it soak for a while and then empty it. Thanks for any help you can give me.

mph_medic

Southaven, MS (Outside Memphis, TN)

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/12 01:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The ice cube trick WORKS.. I did it yesterday.. 2x 10lb bags of ice and a trip around the city.. sloshing around cleand the level points and got a lot of gooey stuff out of the tank..

Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the Paramedics...

1993 Damon Frontier Flyer

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/12 01:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seconded on the ice cube trick, except I'd look for some water softener (not bath salts), so the surface tension is lowered which helps the water pick up more yecchy stuff.

I'm sure there are chemicals like septic tank cleaners which would do something if one filled the black tank about 3/4 full and let it sit, but I've always kept the tanks clean by multiple flushes and keeping hand dish soap + 4-5 gallons of water in the BW tank when the TT is in storage.

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/12 02:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All I use is the wond sprayer. No need for soak cycle.

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

wirenutz

kent,Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/12 02:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mph_medic wrote:

The ice cube trick WORKS.. I did it yesterday.. 2x 10lb bags of ice and a trip around the city.. sloshing around cleand the level points and got a lot of gooey stuff out of the tank..

2x

2007 All American Sport Toy Hauler 38 foot, 14,400 LBS dry weight
1999 Four Door Freightliner,new 6 Speed Auto, new Cat Motor, 12,600 LBS, rear air dump, lowers rear by 3", air activated rear locker, air ride seats, air ride cab, air ride suspension

deereone

NE

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/12 01:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rid-X works great for what you want to do. Fill the tank about half full then add about a 1/2 cup of Rid-X and top off the tank with water. Let it sit at least 2 weeks, the longer the better.

pauldub

North of Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/12 02:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many of us just shrug our shoulders and wonder why folks clean their black or gray tanks. Now, fresh water is a different story.

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/12 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wirenutz wrote:

mph_medic wrote:

2x

ditto 3x

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/12 02:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pauldub wrote:

Many of us just shrug our shoulders and wonder why folks clean their black or gray tanks. Now, fresh water is a different story.

I do it to avoid clogs. After a guest made a wad of TP the size of something between a softball and basketball in my commode, it took a good amount of cleaning to get that beast free once I managed to ramrod it from the toilet to the tank.

Plus, there is the odor issue. With the Geo method, or just simply squirting some dish soap down the commode and adding some water, I can open the vent fan in the bathroom, then open the toilet gate valve without it stinking. Not a real big thing, but it is sort of nice.

cdc

New Braunfels,TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/12 03:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use the wonderful DAWN liquid dish soap. Fill half way with water, take a short drive, and dump. Cleans most of the crud and smell out of the tank.

Corky, Gracie, and the Herd
HR Imperial DP
Jeep Liberty

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Cleaning the black water tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts