|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Deisel/No Tax/Truck Lane

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/12 03:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What you ran into is not about off-road fuel, we got lost down that track somehow.

Over the road trucks, in many states, pay state road taxes based on mileage run in the state, rather than paying by the gallon where they fill. They may run across a couple states before filling again. To meet the needs of this method of taxation, a state has two options:

1. Not charge the tax at the pump, rather collect periodic payments based on filings of logged mileage, apportioned by state.

2. Charge the passenger car fuel taxes at the commercial pumps, then rebate the excess tax when the trucking company or owner/operator files the apportioned tax return.

Most states have found that option #1 collects the most tax with the lowest collection costs. Other states like option #2, and you may not want to go to the commercial pumps there, because the commercial fuel taxes in some states is higher than at the car diesel pumps. The station operator may not even tell you that, you just pay it and lose it.

It gets more complicated in states where the state road taxes and sales taxes are hsndled differently.

Untaxed fuel for off-road use exists, but that's not the reason for the commercial pumps, it is a separate set of pumps entirely. Off-road fuel (gasoline as well as diesel) is sold without collecting the Federal taxes, which are always collected at the commercial pumps.

* This post was edited 08/01/12 04:05pm by tatest *

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

resmas

temporarily displaced Alaskan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/12 04:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have always, ever since owning and driving a diesel pickup since the mid 90's (DH earlier than me) filled at the "truck" lanes at truck stops if we are pulling any type of trailer. I don't think we (DH) has ever looked at any sign and said "I can't fill here". He just pulls up, uses the phone or goes inside, fills, pays and we go on our way. We've never been told to leave the "truck" lanes.

It's not about holding up the line... An RV or tow vehicle is going to fill faster than a semi - look at the capacity of a semi vs. a tv.

2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/12 04:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mlts22 wrote:

Ugh. Here in TX, there are two types of diesel available. "Refer" fuel which has a red dye, and "Tractor" which doesn't.

When did they start that? When I drove otr I filled the semi,pulled up and told them reefer fuel.It was the same just no tax.

Other half is camping with the angels,Riding alone for now.

2008 3500 Dodge Ram CTD dually 4X4 SOLD
2007 Gulfstream Endura Max 40 SOLD
2001 Polaris Ranger 4X4 SOLD
Harley Dyna Lowrider.

Mod Pics

davelinde

Lake Nona, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/12 04:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

resmas wrote:

We have always filled at the "truck" lanes at truck stops

I do the same, however Indiana is different I'm told (have been there but not fueled) as described by others here. In other states where I've filled in the truck lanes they may ask for a number before turning on the pump and I've always been fine telling them "private truck". Sometimes I've needed to say it twice, but they are always OK with that.

Dave Lindemulder
Tammy, Mark & Kirsten
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 SLT QC/SB HO-CTD/48RE
01 Volvo VNL660 singled VED12
09 Heartland Cyclone 3210

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/12 05:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ever play the game 'telephone' as a kid.......that's what this thread reminds me of.....hehehehe

You could have filled at the 'car' lane..taxes already included OR you could have filled at the 'commercial' lane and had taxes added Course you would not have been able to pay at the pump.

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Deisel/No Tax/Truck Lane
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts