RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Outside kitchens: worth it or not?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Outside kitchens: worth it or not?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
GaryWT

MA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 08:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best option ever added to a trailer. I live at mine, I do all the cooking and camping is an outdoor sport. After the first 2 trips last year, my wife stopped using the inside sink and does all the dishes outside. We have a 22 inch TV which we love and a gas grill that connects to the propabne system. We use a coleman stiove on the shelf and love the fridge. Will never have a camper without one again. So we have not used the stove or oven at all (dutch oven is used for baking in case we want brownie sundaes etc) Microwave has beebn used once, no mircovave outside. We travel with only drinks in the outside fridge but move things out there as we need them. Sink cover inside has not been removed in over a year. Basically the inside of the trailer is used to sleep and use the bathroom.

The other big advantage is set up and close up time, it takes all of 15 seconds to unlock the door and open the kitchen, another minute or 2 to set up the stove and grill and we are done, sone uses the remote to open the slide, awning and corner jacks and we are fully camping with rug out and table cloth on within 15-20 minutes including leveling and unhooking. That is where the outdoor kitchen really pays for itself, friends of our who set up tables and all for their kitchen take any where from 1 to 2 hours to set up.

I know some will still not like it but for me, it is the best thing about our camper.

ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/12 09:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GaryWT wrote:

Best option ever added to a trailer. I live at mine, I do all the cooking and camping is an outdoor sport. After the first 2 trips last year, my wife stopped using the inside sink and does all the dishes outside. We have a 22 inch TV which we love and a gas grill that connects to the propabne system. We use a coleman stiove on the shelf and love the fridge. Will never have a camper without one again. So we have not used the stove or oven at all (dutch oven is used for baking in case we want brownie sundaes etc) Microwave has beebn used once, no mircovave outside. We travel with only drinks in the outside fridge but move things out there as we need them. Sink cover inside has not been removed in over a year. Basically the inside of the trailer is used to sleep and use the bathroom.

The other big advantage is set up and close up time, it takes all of 15 seconds to unlock the door and open the kitchen, another minute or 2 to set up the stove and grill and we are done, sone uses the remote to open the slide, awning and corner jacks and we are fully camping with rug out and table cloth on within 15-20 minutes including leveling and unhooking. That is where the outdoor kitchen really pays for itself, friends of our who set up tables and all for their kitchen take any where from 1 to 2 hours to set up.

I know some will still not like it but for me, it is the best thing about our camper.

I want one as I think it will make the exterior of my rig more useful. We spend so much more time out there and it would make good sense for us. We have a basic 26 foot Jayflight with no slides, so we didn't buy a unit that was conducive to long times spent inside. All the fun still happens outside (well most of it hehe).

dfwscotty

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/12 02:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After being through several months of reading this forum and getting a lot of good information from it I think this is one of the best threads on the topic I have seen. Lots of good pro's and con's for anyone that is contemplating.

Of course like every other topic and accessory it is from one extreme to the other!

Our outdoor kitchen has a fridge and sink only. There is space for a stove but no slide out tray for it. More storage for us. I keep a couple of D cell lanterns in the lower cabinets and misc. outdoor cooking items, paperplates, towels, table clothes, ropelight, extension cords or cups in the upper cabinets. We carry a 5 foot (i think) fold up plastic topped table with us. Folds up compact and stores underneath a mattress for transport. I like the swing up door for the shade as well as the added cover if it is lightly raining. One thing I hate and will probably never be a cure is gas struts. I hate when they get tired. I also had one glitch where mine were not installed quite right at the factory and the screws pulled loose on one side. I took care of that myself in 10 mins.
I like that I don't cook under our awning, that is our kickback area for enjoying life. We may or may not put the table under it to eat, just depends on the amount of people present. Our outside gas connection is located underneath the trailer under the kithen area.
The only drink we keep in the indoor fridge is milk and maybe a couple of other drinks but the big collection goes in the outside fridge. Just the DW and I on a 3 day weekend fill the small shelves in the indoor fridge with our food for the trip. So far no issues with the fridge opening on the way.
I do keep the kitchen closed when not in use. A new tall faucet is on the list for the small sink. It's hard to get my hands under it to wash them. I usually wash the nasty dishes with the outdoor shower wand.

We looked at various brands that had outdoor kitchens so I was over the newness of the concept. It has started quite a few campground conversations with our camp neighbors when they stop by after I have opened it up....."we were wondering what that compartment was for!" Most say that it's one of the neatest things they have seen lately.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Outside kitchens: worth it or not?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS