RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Keep this in mind...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Keep this in mind...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
SpurHntr

Northeast PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/12 04:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

...having done quite a bit of research on this topic lately I wanted to bring this to folks' attention.

If your state requires a "special drivers license" (see chart below) you may want to think very seriously about complying, regardless of the FACT that very few LEO's and/or state DOT workers have the faintest clue what is the law regarding this, BECAUSE technically if you are not properly licensed to operate that vehicle then in all likelihood you're insurance on that vehicle you carry is also null and void. Which could be devastating.

Click state license requirement link here

'08 Newmar Kountry Star 3916, 400ISL Cummins
'11 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
'13 F350 SRW Crew 8'bed 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
'05 Cedar Creek Silverback 33lbhts
Blue Ox, BB, PP TPMS, BB Buggy, Ranger EV
FMCA 427040

nelson

Clio,Mi USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/12 04:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Link

2002 Damon Challenger 348 Ford V10
Blue Ox Auto Stop and Aventa II Tow Bar
2001 Ford Sport Trac with Remco Driveshaft Disconnect

Popsie

Livingston, TX, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/12 05:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BECAUSE technically if you are not properly licensed to operate that vehicle then in all likelihood you're insurance on that vehicle you carry is also null and void.

NONSENSE Talk to your insurance company - if an unlicensed or improperly licensed driver is in an accident, you are still covered. Similarly, if you are somehow negligent (like driving on bald tires or drunk), your insurance still covers you.

Daveinet

il

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/12 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SpurHntr wrote:

Popsie wrote:

BECAUSE technically if you are not properly licensed to operate that vehicle then in all likelihood you're insurance on that vehicle you carry is also null and void.

NONSENSE Talk to your insurance company - if an unlicensed or improperly licensed driver is in an accident, you are still covered. Similarly, if you are somehow negligent (like driving on bald tires or drunk), your insurance still covers you.

On my policy:

Page 2
EXCLUSIONS OF COVERAGE
Using a vehicle without a reasonable belief that the "insured" is entitled to do so.
Which means you just ruined it for everyone on RVnet.

Dave

The Flying Fortress
FMCA F298817
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD
502 w/Howell/GM 16197427 ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows,
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
6% grade = wanna drag?
MISC photos
Revconeers Forum

brirene

midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/12 05:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for posting this. Your information indicates I may need to do a little more research and upgrade my classification.

Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion,Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

SpurHntr

Northeast PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/12 06:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Popsie wrote:

On my policy:

Page 2
EXCLUSIONS OF COVERAGE
Using a vehicle without a reasonable belief that the "insured" is entitled to do so.

Popsie

Livingston, TX, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/12 09:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SpurHntr wrote:

Popsie wrote:

On my policy:

Page 2
EXCLUSIONS OF COVERAGE
Ah, like hopping into someone else's car who happened to leave the key in the ignition! But if the title to the RV is in your name, you are an entitled person!

bullydogs1

OBX, NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/12 06:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I posted about this the other day....not even the local DMV knew what to do when I walked in and told them the rules and law...when it was all done, they apologized and once I took a written test. obtained a CLASS B classified license...This enables you to drive any vehicle greater than 26001 lbs and tow something less than 10000 lbs that is exempt from CDL requirements. An RV is exempt from CDL requirements...I'm totally legal and that's all I care about.

Stuart and Stella Denning
2009 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Sierra,Daisy and Sylvie)
2007 Saturn Vue (TOAD)

I tawt I taw a puddy tat

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/12 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Though I can not spot any obvious errors in this chart (I am not a lawyer or expert)

I know many of the charts that purport to show the state laws on things like this contain errors.

However in this case I think they did their homework.

I say that because I often see towing law charts that say "no special requirements" for Cars towed 4-down in Michigan yet show the requirements for brakes on trailers.

The idiots searched for CAR and Towing or some such and forgot to check the definition of trailer. A car towed 4-down, under Michigan law (And under logic law as well) is, in fact, a trailer.

It trails behind the tow vehicle you see (that's the logic version, not the Michigan version).

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

slickest1

canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/12 07:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good on you Bullydogs! There are alot of people with their head in the sand over that. I think it should be compulsory everywhere, especially when the rig is air brake equipped.

2000 H.R. Imperial 38wds rr8r roadmaster, isc 350 cummins
2007 Chevy Trailblazer, Blue ox towbar
Ready Brake with breakaway.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Keep this in mind...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts