|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> job change to over the road truck driver

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Engineer9860

Eagle Scout dad

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TMC drivers tell me that TMC stands for "tarp my cargo"

In Memoriam: Liberty Belle

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/12 05:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure how far you are from Plainfield,IN, but Con Way trucking has a good student program.good benefits too.

Other half is camping with the angels,Riding alone for now.

2008 3500 Dodge Ram CTD dually 4X4 SOLD
2007 Gulfstream Endura Max 40 SOLD
2001 Polaris Ranger 4X4 SOLD
Harley Dyna Lowrider.

Mod Pics

JAXFL

Jacksonville, Florida, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/12 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK QUESTION: so out of the $70K I make a year working for a good company, I have to pay what while on the road? I guess I have to buy my own food, right? or is that re-embursed? I sleep in the truck, right or do I get a motel at company cost?

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/12 09:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Engineer9860 wrote:

TMC drivers tell me that TMC stands for "tarp my cargo"

I heard "Too Much Chrome" I do know the tractors are current model year and the trailer visits the factory for re-conditioning every six months.

That is, however, why I cited them, They are, from what I understand, the BEST. (And you will notice nobody has said a bad word about them in this thread, myself included)

The other company with the drivers with the 20foot long driving records,,, Some of them restricted to "May drive only to and from work and on the job" ... Well, You might notice I did not name them. Even if they are no more and thus can't sue me (They could not afford the new bridge they had to buy the state, nor the damages the firman brought, nor .. Well you get the idea, their insurance said "ENOUGH" and terminated them).

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

christopherglenn

Near Yosemite

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/12 10:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You pay for food, entertainment, tickets, etc. The company maintains its equipment and pays fuel and weighing at scales. I hated being stranded for days at a time in the middle of nowhere, I would deliver a load on friday - 1000 miles from home, and the next load was not ready till monday. A whole weekend sitting at a truckstop, not getting paid, to far to go home.

2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

rode2nowhere

southern indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/12 10:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wow, mostly negative from what i see, I work in an iron foundry maintenenace at 53 years feel the pain. I t is a young mans game, i am trying to find a way out. Not looking too good right now.

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/12 02:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like everyone says depends on the job. My brother drives, been doing it close to thirty years. Spent a lot of years getting the shaft from a couple of the big national outfits. After he got a few miles on with a good record,he got on with a local commodities broker. Hauls soybean oil around the northeast and into Canada. He is out 2 nights max,usually one. Believe he pulls in 60 or 70 a year.

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/12 09:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With Toys R Us,they paid for the motels-up to $60/night,plus also got $50 for layover pay.It pays to work on the clock.
Most of the other jobs,you just got mileage pay,varies from $.26/mile when I started up to $.48/mile with accident free record.A lot of the layovers they did pay for motels if load was not ready.It depends on company and your rapor with your dispatch.Some companies will pay layover after 24/36 hours.
Even one company paid the major med and cancer insurance.But their equipment was not the best.Very few of my jobs had trucks over 3 years old or over 400,000 miles.
One thing that was happening when I retired was a lot of Samolian drivers getting hired in the orange and red trucks.

Engineer9860

Eagle Scout dad

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/12 06:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you live near a Wal-Mart distribution center, or live between a WM dc, and several of their stores, I would recommend going this route. WM has regular driving lanes, good equipment, good bennies.

Just remember, most likely a company with higher hiring standards, and a waiting list.

WM is on my short list of companies that I may consider if I ever go back out there.

Queens Carriage

Treasure Coast, FLorida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/12 07:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To a job with a good co. you must have experiance. A company that takes care of the equipment wants drivers that know how to drive. If you belive you have to double clutch you have a long way to go.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> job change to over the road truck driver
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS