RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Mountain Directory West - recommended?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Mountain Directory West - recommended?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Lauren

Sahuarita, AZ (or on the road!)

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 04:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One has to realize that there are contrarians everywhere in life. Just accept that.

MDW is an excellent resource book and highly recommended by many; I use mine a lot for good information out here in the west.

Be safe.

DW of 51 great years, Barbara
2nd Best Friend-"Aussie" Terrier, Sadie
2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
2006.5 Chev 3500 3LT XCab 4x4 Dmax Allie

www.LaurenBarbara.com

www.LaurensPix.com

Jim Shoe

Amelia, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/12 05:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Despite HPK's detailed reasoning for not buying the book or books, I suggest you check out the Mountain Directory website and make your own decision as to whether to go around or over a particular route. You're the only one that knows your level of experience and whether or not you want to test it in places like "Oh My God" hill on 14A in Wyoming. The East directory may not be as vital as the West, but the grades are still around - just not as high or as long. Both books are available as hard copy or EBooks now.

Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

jrs1871

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/12 06:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO, as a flat lander, the mountain west directory is a valuable resource. We refer to it every time we venture into the mountain states. It helps us decide whether to take a particular road and if we take it, what we are facing. We would not be without it, but you have to decide your comfort level is for driving mountain roads.

trailertraveler

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 07:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used the Mountain Directories for several years and find them extremely useful. The information on passing lanes, speed limits, switchbacks, length limits and warnings about taking large vehicles on a route is pretty straight forward and self explanatory. The references to grades in % and altitudes takes some perspective based on experience and the capabilities of your particular vehicle to know the difference between climbing or descending a 5% versus an 8% grade and climbing to 10,000' versus 7,000'. Once you have some reference points for comparison, the descriptions in the directories provide a pretty accurate prediction of what you can expect on a route.

Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

JT

out west

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 08:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The MD is an essential reference for traveling in the western states in a "large" vehicle. If one never leaves the *freeway*, no, don't bother; otherwise, the resource is very valuable!

The prices on the MD website are essentially the same as what Amazon used to list:

https://www.mountaindirectory.com/mtnshop/

(MD publishes an eastern edition, too; this is also an excellent reference.)

hotpepperkid

Chino Hills CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 09:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Atlee wrote:

hotpepperkid wrote:

Dont waste your money

Why do you say this?

I bought one because every one said oh you have to get one. I looked at some of passes I have been over several times had a big laugh, tossed it in a cornor somewhere and unless my wife did something with it its still there. If I had the book before I had alread been over some of the pass I may not have gone. If its paved, has a state or fed road number and there isnt a sign RV's should not use then Im very likely to take it

2000 Ford F-350 SRW 4X4 PSD Jayco Super Lite 29.5RKS (31') 5th wheel 50 gal X-ferflow in the bed tank. Banks big exhaust and Stinger kit.

photonut4

Will need to check our gps

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/12 03:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ordered one 3 days ago, and it just arrived today. After looking through it, I believe it will be a very valuable resource.

4x4Bob

California.

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/12 11:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Knowing that long 6% grades at altitude are not friendly to the heat gauge for my transmission, I used the Mountain Directory West to avoid three of them in one day in Mt this summer. By selecting another route I only added about one hour to a day trip.

Bob

2001 2500 Silverado LS 4x4 6.0, 4.10
2007 Jayco Eagle 288RLS
Cocktails for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2
--------------------
End of dirt road, no signs in sight, sun going down: I am not lost, just getting ready to go camping.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Mountain Directory West - recommended?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS