|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Blue Ox Tow Bar

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Ken & Ina

Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/12 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have Blue Ox Towing system, fold up type with extending and retracting arms. My arms pull out easily and lock easily, but when I go to hook up my Nissan Frontier with brackets installed into factory holes, one side seems to be longer, and I have to hookup with arms unlocked, and hope that they will lock when I start towing. What could be my problem, please advise.

Thanks, Ken & Ina

Ken & Ina Bishop

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/12 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Generally, you do hook up with the arms unlocked so you can connect even if the toad is not exactly in line. When you pull forward, both arms should extend and lock in place. I can usually hear and feel when mine lock. As part of hookup, have copilot stand and watch while you pull forward. We do.

Noel and Betty Johnson
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 wife, 1 Poodle

Ken & Ina

Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/12 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I generally have my co-pilot watch and see that they lock, even after pulling forward, sometimes they will not lock. The arms lock easily manually. Thanks

mscamping

any place, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We do it alittle different, I have DW pull up behind the coach(close enough to hook up both arms), shut off the engine, hook up the arms, then have her restart and back up til the arms lock,(I watch this).. If both arms don't lock, I have her turn the wheels toward the unlocked arm and when we check lights, I pull up alittle and it will lock the second arm and we're ready to travel.. That way we know there both locked..
Notee don't get between the vehicles when we're moving into position to do this.. Hope this makes sense.. Mike M..

2003 Holiday Rambler Neptune 36 PBD - ISB 300 Cummins- Allison MH2000 5 speed
2013 Equinox w/Blue Ox Aventa II & SMI Stay-n-Play Duo
FMCA 331658 HRRVC 105155 Chapter - 57- Good Sam Life Member - Coach Net - 3/4 timers
Mike & Sharon

eadeal55

Suffolk VA

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 09:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Johno02 wrote:

Generally, you do hook up with the arms unlocked so you can connect even if the toad is not exactly in line. When you pull forward, both arms should extend and lock in place. I can usually hear and feel when mine lock. As part of hookup, have copilot stand and watch while you pull forward. We do.

X2...hook up unlocked, then either pull the coach up till they lock...or back the toad till they lock. If only one arm locks, just pull off slowly, swing the coach opposite of the unlocked arm, and you'll hear it "click" in your rear monitor speaker.

Andy & Lee, plus the furry kids Bella and Molly
'05 Fleetwood Bounder 33R, F53 w/6.8L V10...towing a
'07 Chevy HHR LT2 w/2.4L EcoTec,
Blue Ox Aventa LX, Brake Buddy Classic
FMCA #F359977 - Colonial Virginians, President 2012-14

jdkd123

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 09:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Johno02 wrote:

X2
I find that one side may lock in and the other doesn't. As I slowly pull forward and slightly turn in the direction on the arm that hasn't locked (Seems backwards but the rear end swag causes then back end of MH to kick in the opposite direction) it will extend the arm to lock in. Gotta play with it a bit to see what works best.

JDKD123
2005 Coachmen CONCORD

GO SOX!

Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 09:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its no problem. Sometimes it takes a slight right or left turn to get the second arm lock. We always stop and double check after moving about 50 feet.

Beverley and Ken

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 09:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have slight different approach. Hook up as the rest of you with the leg unlock. Then pull up three feet with the rv, hit the brakes and do this three times and have never had a issue of them never locking. As stated you feel it and with the rear camer I see it also.

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My folks hook theirs up unlocked, then pull forward and lock them in place.

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And here is what Blue Ox says for the Aventa LX:

"On the towed vehicle disengage parking brake and set up the transmission for towing, see Safety section on Page 1 and unlock the steering wheel. Pull forward with the towing vehicle until one of the locking handles are engaged and locked. (When locked they will "pop" up)NOTE: If only one locking handle is locked, turn the top of the towed vehicle's steering wheel towards the unlocked tow bar leg approximately 1/2 to 3/4 turn, before continuing forward. Pull the towing vehicle forward one to two feet until the leg locks into place. IMPORTANT: Check to insure both legs are latched properly before towing. The steering wheel on the towed vehicle must be unlocked at all times while being towed. Failure to do so will create hazardous driving conditions."

And the instructions for other models of tow bars may be different. Read you instructions! And if you lost them, you can find them on the Blue Ox web site.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Blue Ox Tow Bar
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS